Buying a new TV

Brandon

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

yeah not interested in that, how about they don't mark it up to ridiculousness in the first place? 

Well its not like one store can mark it up a ton because there is competition.  Sure, they ALL mark it up.  But Visions is known for being more open to haggling their price than, say, Best Buy.  I am generally decent at haggling but I dont enjoy it, even when buying a car.  Because when I get to the point of haggling, Ive decided I want the product so Im more inclined to accept what I think is fair rather then being obsessed with "winning" a negotiation. 

For the record (and at risk of looking insane), this is the one I have my eye on: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-86-4k-uhd-hdr-led-webos-3-0-smart-tv-86uh9500-86uh9500/10414425.aspx?path=1265fc017ffed8a379e630fb5d5b8fb2en02

Buddy has the 75" version and loves it.

I have been very happy with my LG tv, got a decent deal on it and the picture is great, only problem is there's now one dead line of pixels running down the screen that annoys me. It's not bad most of the time but watching something like hockey you notice it against the mostly white background and it's the absolute worst during curling because it's just outside where a normal 4 foot line should be. 

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I have been very happy with my LG tv, got a decent deal on it and the picture is great, only problem is there's now one dead line of pixels running down the screen that annoys me. It's not bad most of the time but watching something like hockey you notice it against the mostly white background and it's the absolute worst during curling because it's just outside where a normal 4 foot line should be. 

Where is it?  My TV (Not an LG, I think its a Toshiba) had a line of dead pixels running the entire length of the extreme right side.  Sometimes it seems to go away (or I dont notice it) after awhile.  Not long ago, same thing happened on the left side.  A quick online check said its a sign of eventual TV death.  Because it's the very edge, it doesnt bother me too much.  But its out only TV so if it died tomorrow, I'd have to make some quick decisions!  Same thing happened with my friends Sony recently.

Sigh our Samsung C650 died after just over 5 years with rainbow effect. Appears to be manudefect considering others had same problem after same amount of time.

Really sad. Had great picture and sound. Yes great sound for a flat screen with down-firing speakers.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I got a 58" LED Toshiba that I got a few years ago for under $800 at costco, no frills.  Works great and had the best picture.  I hate all this "smart tv" **** which ends up being a big waste after a few years because you can't use the smart features anymore because there are no more upgrades for the TV.  I'm with some others, I don't have time to barter with people.  Costco is my go to for buying TV's.

My 50" Vizio Smart from Best Buy is the best purchase I've ever made. Got a floor model for like $400 or something, and it's phenomenal. The picture is great, and the apps work fantastic. High Def sports on that thing are just killer...

Edited by Noeller

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

My 50" Vizio Smart from Best Buy is the best purchase I've ever made. Got a floor model for like $400 or something, and it's phenomenal. The picture is great, and the apps work fantastic. High Def sports on that thing are just killer...

Ive heard good things about Vizio as a bare bones option with excellent picture quality.  I have been looking at them myself!

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ive heard good things about Vizio as a bare bones option with excellent picture quality.  I have been looking at them myself!

My folks had bought em at Costco and it was unreal good, so I looked into it at Best Buy and the guy told me they keep the cost down because the backs of them are slightly thicker than others. If you're okay with a slightly bigger back on it, you can save a lot of money. Can't get over the picture quality on it, especially at that price point...

Anyone have a Sony?   I noticed the "blacks" seem to be much deeper on them.  

Samsung seems to have more vibrant colors,   is the UHD that they push anything special or a marketing gimmick?

Unknown Poster - What kind of LG are you looking to get?

Just now, Brandon said:

Samsung seems to have more vibrant colors,   is the UHD that they push anything special or a marketing gimmick?

Blacks will be deeper if you have glossy screen.

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

I got a 58" LED Toshiba that I got a few years ago for under $800 at costco, no frills.  Works great and had the best picture.  I hate all this "smart tv" **** which ends up being a big waste after a few years because you can't use the smart features anymore because there are no more upgrades for the TV.  I'm with some others, I don't have time to barter with people.  Costco is my go to for buying TV's.

Woah woah woah, Mr. Busy Business Man over here

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This is the one Im looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-86-4k-uhd-hdr-led-webos-3-0-smart-tv-86uh9500-86uh9500/10414425.aspx?path=1265fc017ffed8a379e630fb5d5b8fb2en02

21 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Just saved you 300$+

https://www.amazon.ca/LG-Electronics-86UH9500-86-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01C9CYKH0

And don't 4get to go through ebates.ca's Amazon.ca link for 4% cash back so there's another 388.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

40 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Just saved you 300$+

https://www.amazon.ca/LG-Electronics-86UH9500-86-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01C9CYKH0

And don't 4get to go through ebates.ca's Amazon.ca link for 4% cash back so there's another 388.

What is that and how do I do it (ebates)?

Shipping has to be a ***** on that thing though

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What is that and how do I do it (ebates)?

Shipping has to be a ***** on that thing though

When I click on the link, the price says this for me:

CDN$ 9,699.98 + FREE SHIPPING

Just now, Rich said:

When I click on the link, the price says this for me:

CDN$ 9,699.98 + FREE SHIPPING

Ohhhh I guess I should read better.  Thats pretty darn good then.  Im hoping it comes down a bit.  I have to do a basement reno first.  Actually I have to move into the new house first.  But thats next weekend.