Hamilton at Calgary - Aug 28

Mr Dee

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Last I saw they were up......but I'd be curious to see Iso's numbers....

According to Drew Edwards ratings are down the last 2 seasons not up which is why this mic'd up game was done... So Noeller, I'd be curious to see YOUR numbers...  ;)

http://3downnation.com/2016/08/27/ticats-reluctant-participants-tsn-micd-experiment/

Edited by iso_55

51 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

The fact that pick six got taken away by the Hail Mary challenge is just wow. 

Austin got the same tick tack call against the Riders last week as well.

Yup. Just one of the reasons I don't like the current challenge system.

10 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

That was an unreal moment...

I thought it was pretty sad for the league in general. A penalty by definition, but come on.... never should have been called and the refs on the field knew it. The replay ref kind of had to call it tho after Austin challenged it. Yet another reason to take the flags away from the HC's. (I know, they're on the rules committee and would never vote for that)

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

I meant Iso

Dude, now you're being an ass. I posted what Drew Edwards said in his story that ratings on TSN have been down the past 2 seasons & that was the reason for the mic'd up game yesterday to try to get a hit in the ratings. I did it because I subscribe to 3 Down Nation & I read it on the weekend. So, why do you feel the need to come after me? Instead if you don't agree then why don't you prove that Edwards is wrong & you're right? That ratings are up instead of down. Show me how Edwards who has all kinds of CFL contacts with TSN, in the CFL head office, team management, coaches & players all across the league is wrong. I just posted the story as I thought it was timely in explaining why the game was mic'd.

Edited by iso_55

12 hours ago, Mark F said:

just giving you a little poke Iso, I know you know what you're talking about re football.

I couldn't understand why I was being singled out for a story by Drew Edwards so thanks for explaining yourself. I want every stadium to be packed & ratings thru the roof. I want the CFL to be successful. Seeing BMO Field being half empty is depressing.

Ratings aren't like they used to be tho. I mean we now have PVR where you can record and watch later.  You have Internet streams. All sorts of new technology really. 

Plus certain demographics are more important than others.  For example lots of sports would try to appeal to the 18 to 49 crowds. Perhaps the tsn numbers are down in the older demo but growing in the 18 to 49 one.  

Edited by Goalie

The challenge and over turn on that PI was probably the worst one I've seen this year. It's getting stupid. Either don't allow PIs to be challenged like before or maybe coaches can only challenge it if it's called on the field? So if the ref threw a flag for PI then the coach could challenge and have it looked at. No more of this fishing for a call because your QB threw an interception. 

24 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

The challenge and over turn on that PI was probably the worst one I've seen this year. It's getting stupid. Either don't allow PIs to be challenged like before or maybe coaches can only challenge it if it's called on the field? So if the ref threw a flag for PI then the coach could challenge and have it looked at. No more of this fishing for a call because your QB threw an interception. 

I think the challenge was brought in to prevent bad calls from happening & it morphed into what is happening now. I look at the two Esks receivers that are lighting things up & I kind of shrug my shoulders because with the PI rules it's like touch football.

Just as a quick reference, when ratings come out, generally what's listed is 12+. So that's Males and Females older than 12 years old. For a lot of media, that's a useless generalization. CFL and  TSN are only really concerned with M18-49, and I couldn't tell you how that's doing... 

I liked hearing the QB make the calls in the huddle but you could tell it was awkward for the TSN folks, they were talking over the onfield sound in a bunch of places.  Also, it's unfair that Calgary and Hamilton have to change up now.

I think BLM had the right take on it: to be fair, every team should have to play a mic'd game (though with nine teams, that's impossible, unless one game had only one team mic'd)