Around The League Off Season Discussion

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

No class at all by Jones...  I'm amazed the fans are not calling for his head?  I wonder what happens if they winless for the first 5 games...

Some are, but you have to keep in mind, Riders fans, as a general rule, are the biggest ***** can base in the league. Such moronic sheep. 

We began the Bomber revival by hiring Walters and it peaked (so far) with the emergence of Nichols as a bona fide starter. The reality is that we are one hit away from being in the same win/loss category as the hapless Riders. I hope and pray that we will have a legit backup who can step in and at lease not throw the game away. Maybe, just maybe, Glenn will find his way back here again.

35 minutes ago, tracker said:

We began the Bomber revival by hiring Walters and it peaked (so far) with the emergence of Nichols as a bona fide starter. The reality is that we are one hit away from being in the same win/loss category as the hapless Riders. I hope and pray that we will have a legit backup who can step in and at lease not throw the game away. Maybe, just maybe, Glenn will find his way back here again.

Every team suffers if they lose their first string QB.  There's a reason he's first string, you know.  It's usually because he's better than the other QB's, or his dad owns the team.  So you can expect a drop off anytime you lose a starter.  And speaking of not throwing the game away, do you really think that Kevin "I'll throw it to the wide side... oh crap" Glenn is a good plan?

3 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Every team suffers if they lose their first string QB.  There's a reason he's first string, you know.  It's usually because he's better than the other QB's, or his dad owns the team.  So you can expect a drop off anytime you lose a starter.  And speaking of not throwing the game away, do you really think that Kevin "I'll throw it to the wide side... oh crap" Glenn is a good plan?

Yup.

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

Then let's just say that your definition of good is somewhat different than mine.  Kevin Glenn would be ok, maybe, for a game or three, but if you're going to rely on him to keep a season alive long term and perform in the playoffs, prepare to be disappointed.

Glenn's days as a starter are likely long gone, but as a serviceable backup, he would fill the bill. Davis might as good or better, but how the heck would we know?

36 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Then let's just say that your definition of good is somewhat different than mine.  Kevin Glenn would be ok, maybe, for a game or three, but if you're going to rely on him to keep a season alive long term and perform in the playoffs, prepare to be disappointed.

The most you can realistically hope for from a backup QB is to maintain 500.  If he plays behind a good O-line, within a good offensive scheme and has great offensive weapons at his disposal this becomes a whole lot more viable.  If BLM played for the Bombers in 2013 he would have been packed on the next bus out of town following Max Hall, never to be heard from again.

13 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I would highly disagree with your point. BC, EDM, CGY, WPG, and OTT. All had quality backups that could step in if required during an injury. This year it's an open field until free agency is done. If Lulay leaves there is no proven back up. Edmonton still has Franklin and Calgary has tate. Riders are currently screwed. Winnipeg has no proven starter if Nichols goes down and sounds like Burris is looking at retirement. There is potential that Burris Glenn and Ray may be gone in 1-2 years due to retirement. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the CFL teams will need to develop QBS. 

1 hour ago, Dirty30 said:

Hopefully Jones chooses to cut Roosevelt to make room for Carter. 

You must not understand. The Riders have an insane amount of cap room and quality receivers  (Collins, Roosevelt, Holley, Edwards, Bagg, Demski. The only reason this signing may have happened is one of those receivers (probably roosevelt) will be traded away to obtain a quarterback.