Around The League Off Season Discussion

10 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Why Carter would even play for $130,000, doesn't make sense.  He'd be better taking a year off to fix his attitude and chase NFL dreams.

I don't understand either. If it's an incentive laden contract, he's taking a huge risk on the Riders finding a QB AND on a deep and talented receiving corps.

Doesn't seem like a good risk.

Also, Regina. Yuck.

Kenny Stafford was fired the same day as Carter for the same reasons. We took a chance on Stafford. Regina will take a chance on Carter and I suspect the contract would already be signed if there wasn't any other teams who are interested. We certainly got Stafford for less money, but Carter is obviously the better player.

In short.... teams will take a chance on talented players with a bad attitude if they think those players will help their team.

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Kenny Stafford was fired the same day as Carter for the same reasons. We took a chance on Stafford. Regina will take a chance on Carter and I suspect the contract would already be signed if there wasn't any other teams who are interested. We certainly got Stafford for less money, but Carter is obviously the better player.

In short.... teams will take a chance on talented players with a bad attitude if they think those players will help their team.

True.  I don't think Stafford is a bad guy but I believe he is Carter's cousin and that may have been a bad influence on him in MTL.

39 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Great post. Very true. Don't know why people think it's a bad signing. It's literally no different than Stafford.

Just now, Kluchk said:

Great post. Very true. Don't know why people think it's a bad signing. It's literally no different than Stafford.

Yes, I remember the time Stafford ran down the opponents sideline and initiated contact with the opposition HC.

High moral character.

30 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't believe for a second The Trinity would put up with Stafford if he was a bad egg. It's just not their agenda. If he's an ******* at any point in the near future, he'll be gone, no matter what.

I think you'd say exactly the same thing if we'd signed Carter instead of Stafford.

59 minutes ago, Kluchk said:

You have to ask yourself - why in gawd's name hasn't the talent-blessed super-duper star signed in the NFL? He's got NFL talent, but an arena league mentality.

As to no different than Stafford..well that's why Rider fans' opinions can't be taken seriously. If you can't see the difference, you've already been Jonesied.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Carter is the toxic kind of stupid.  Like the type that reasonable teammates won't put up with.  If he was on an actual team he'd have to fall in line or he'd be gone fast.  The Als of the past half decade and current Riders are total dumpster fires so he's a good fit.

You nailed it, it's not so much what the management thinks of a certain player, but more what the locker room thinks of him as they are the ones that have to deal with the guy on a daily basis.  They certainly don't want a giant ass among them.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

True.  I don't think Stafford is a bad guy but I believe he is Carter's cousin and that may have been a bad influence on him in MTL.

IMO there very little if any difference between being the head idiot and following the head idiot. It's like being Trump vs voting him in, both are equally responsible. (NO, I AM NOT A RIDERS FAN)

Tori Gurley got flushed with the whole TO receiving crew (on account of attitude) yet we were almost unanimously happy he was signed last season.  Players leave clown shows to become good teammates and productive roster additions all the time.  No reason that can't/won't happen with Stanford.  Carter on the other hand...

Where are the riders coming up with all this cap space? Werent they right up against it last year? Is jones just saying eff it?

Carter is a great talent. But the greatest degree of head case. Itll be interesting to see if it was the setting in mtl or if he is a nutter. 

1 hour ago, do or die said:

I think the more interesting part of this story is Catherine Raiche... is she the first woman to work in a front office position like this?

Also thought this was funny:

The 62-year-old, graduated from Villanova in 1977 with a degree in political science, specializing in international relations. While at Villanova, he played nose tackle and linebacker, where he earned team captain and all-star honours.

Only in 1977 could one have played nose tackle and LB... 2 positions where the players are typically separated by about 50-75 lbs now...

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Where are the riders coming up with all this cap space? Werent they right up against it last year? Is jones just saying eff it?

Carter is a great talent. But the greatest degree of head case. Itll be interesting to see if it was the setting in mtl or if he is a nutter. 

Cap space is eaten up by:

1) QBs - The Riders are not burdened with that luxury item.

2) NI - Another area of concern for the Riders.

Has it been announced yet how far over the cap the Riders were last year after all their "transgressions"?? They were set to incur some serious penalties but I don't know if they ever announced how far over they were...

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

None are as blind as those who will not see. Trump's a dangerous buffoon with tiny hands and access to the nuclear codes.

What's misguided about treating all idiots the same?

The head idiot is hopeless.  If the lost soul is following the head idiot, he will himself act like an idiot.  The lost soul can be guided by a man of great wisdom, such as Mike O'Shea, for great justice.  

God bless.

Edited by Atomic

30 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The head idiot is hopeless.  If the lost soul is following the head idiot, he will himself act like an idiot.  The lost soul can be guided by a man of great wisdom, such as Mike O'Shea, for great justice.  

God bless.

Idiots who follow idiots are as hopeless as the idiots they follow. Stafford is his own man. He made his choice to follow Carter, if that's even what happened.

Funny how Stafford is a 'lost soul' while Carter is 'hopeless'. I'll bet it would be the other way around if we signed Carter and Regina signed Stafford.

OShea, a man of great wisdom? Really? LOL and a HAHA to that.

WBBFan... I picked Trump as an example because he was the first guy I thought of when I thought of a head idiot we could all agree on, not to start a political discussion. I didn't say that folks who voted for him believed everything he stands for and that's not the point anyway. I said they were as much if not more to blame for Trump (the head idiot) getting the presidency.

Edited by TBURGESS
WBBFan