Around The League Off Season Discussion

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I like Phil Hunt... but if our scouting can't find a rookie better than a 34 (33 maybe?) year old guy on his last legs... we have some problems...

He just turned 31 . Westerman is a year older - turning 32 on Feb

I do think he has a lot left in the tank. He didnt play for two years because of his knee injury. And last year shows he's healthy and that injury doesnt bother him

Edited by M.O.A.B.

6 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

He just turned 31 . Westerman is a year older - turning 32 on Feb

I do think he has a lot left in the tank. He didnt play for two years because of his knee injury. And last year shows he's healthy and that injury doesnt bother him

Thanks for the correction... I just assumed he was older than that... definitely more intrigued now...

4 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

We need to stop overpaying for FA that are at the end of their shelf life and go out and actually scout some D lineman.

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Why?

I don't see why we can't do both. Let the scouted players push the vets and replace them.

I'm not sure we're "overpaying" anyone. There's open market and we're negotiating against up to 8 other teams.

This LaFrance deal (and literally everyone is reporting it, probably because it's more or less a done deal) is really going to depend entirely on the money for me.

If the Bombers get good value, I'm all for it. If they pay LaFrance what he wants, they're crazy.

He's had literally one good game and it was in a blizzard. I'm not interested in seeing us pay for that.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

This LaFrance deal (and literally everyone is reporting it, probably because it's more or less a done deal) is really going to depend entirely on the money for me.

If the Bombers get good value, I'm all for it. If they pay LaFrance what he wants, they're crazy.

He's had literally one good game and it was in a blizzard. I'm not interested in seeing us pay for that.

Has a number been put out for what he's asking? I read "starter money", but what does that mean? He can't possibly expect what Messam or Harris are making.

Lafrance coming home is terrific ....former Bison and I'm sure he'll pick up a lot from Harris...I like the fact  he is talented and has decided to return to his hometown... Never hurt Harris and another example is Labatte .. I never did buy the baloney it was because he was asked to do something different on the o line....He wanted to go home and he did, and played well until just recently...I will expect the same from Lafrance...not only because he was homegrown...he showed a lot of talent in the playoffs and has a Cup ring to prove it...

Edited by Stickem

LaFrance had some exceptional seasons as a Bison but going off for big yards in the CIS doesn't really count for much in the pros.  That one playoff game really is his sample size, but talk about rising to the occasion.

I thought Lochard acquitted himself very well when Harris went down.  He certainly exceeded any expectations I had for him.  It's all bang for the buck.  How much more bang will LaFrance give us over Lochard and how many more bucks will that bang cost?  There is additional value in not having to mess with the ratio if Harris misses a game or two.