Around The League Off Season Discussion

Cato is better, younger and more experienced than Davis. He might be a good backup QB for us and we need to bring in a couple of QB's anyway. Maybe being cut will help him mature. Maybe the altercation(s) in practice were Stafford's and Carter's fault. 

Pickings are kind of slim. Would you rather have, Gale or DeMarco or O'Brien or LeFevour or Harris (Jacory) or Mathews? 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Cato is better, younger and more experienced than Davis. He might be a good backup QB for us and we need to bring in a couple of QB's anyway. Maybe being cut will help him mature. Maybe the altercation(s) in practice were Stafford's and Carter's fault. 

Pickings are kind of slim. Would you rather have, Gale or DeMarco or O'Brien or LeFevour or Harris (Jacory) or Mathews? 

How is Cato better?  The guy was terrible last season and is damaged goods...  

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

How is Cato better?  The guy was terrible last season and is damaged goods...  

He was not terrible last year. He struggled in a brutal offense on a terrible gong show of a team. He completed passes at a good clip, and protected the ball. Davis played about as much college ball as cato has pro. hardly any pro experience. Cato for cheap would be a really good pick up to round out 4 qbs in camp. I wouldnt hand any one a position, let them actually fight it out in camp. 

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Well, clearly because he's not a Bomber, so he HAS to be better!

We cant say how good davis is or isnt. Hes hardly played as a pro and had limited action in college. He had a limited skill set and experience coming up here and we havent done any thing to improve that. A guy who is younger, drastically more experienced and won in the cfl is better then a gigantic question mark. Going into TC with a guy who has such poor amounts of experience as davis as the no2 is suicidal. 

Edited by wbbfan

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Cato -

Games Played:22

Passing; 296 of 432 for 3570 Yards

TD/INT: 17/11

Davis -

Games Played:1

Passing; 16 of 25 for 169 Yards

TD/INT: 0/0

It's not even close and it has nothing to do with Cato not being a Bomber.:rolleyes:

This. You can fault management and coaching for not developing davis better. Weve seen guys who look all world in practice and awful in games. And some guys just dont do their best unless they are under pressure. Playing games is how  you develop. Not playing games is how you rust. 

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Cato -

Davis -

It's not even close and it has nothing to do with Cato not being a Bomber.:rolleyes:

Through mass extrapolation it turns out Davis has better numbers.  Did I mention Cato is unstable?

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

If it's between the two, I'd just as soon have Davis, who already knows the system. As far as I'm concerned, they're basically a saw off.

Cato is the same as Brett Smith who we had already. Won't run the called play, everything is a sandlot add lib. A player like that can never aspire to greatness, not smart enough to take what is there or what is called, always trying to be the smartest guy in the room, or the dumbest, not sure which. Either way I don't see Cato as a guy to go after,

I like Cato.  If we could get him at a nice low price I'd love to see him here.  Let him compete.  If he sucks or causes trouble in the room then let him go.  Otherwise we've got an experienced arm on the bench.  Even if he's #3... that way you still get to see what Davis has after 2 years holding a clipboard, and you have some measure of insurance in Cato.  He's also 3 years younger than Davis.  Bring him in!

Although I do find it funny that @TBURGESS was tripping over himself to call Stafford and Carter idiots, but somehow Cato is excused....

15 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Cato -

Davis -

My 2008 Caravan -

Miles Driven: 158,000

Cracks in Windshield: 3

Barfed in by kids: 2

Brand new Alfa Romeo -

Miles Driven: 0

Cracks in Windshield: 0

Barfed in by kids: 0

The numbers clearly demonstrate that my 2008 Caravan is the better vehicle and it's not even close (insert eye-rolly thing because I never show anything but complete and unrelenting disdain for the team I claim to cheer for)

(Maybe, just maybe Cato has more stats because he's played more, which is not an indicator of "better")

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I like Cato.  If we could get him at a nice low price I'd love to see him here.  Let him compete.  If he sucks or causes trouble in the room then let him go.  Otherwise we've got an experienced arm on the bench.  Even if he's #3... that way you still get to see what Davis has after 2 years holding a clipboard, and you have some measure of insurance in Cato.  He's also 3 years younger than Davis.  Bring him in!

I think someone like him, perhaps him, will be signed by the Bombers on or shortly after Valentine's Day.  Matthews and LeFevour would be my favourites, but that's just because I didn't watch the games where they sucked.  You should always try and pack as much talent onto the roster as the SMS and availability allows.

I find it funny that people call Carter and Cato idiots, but Stafford is just fine cuz we signed him. FTR...I don't excuse Cato any more than I excuse the other 2. He's the third stooge.

Cato has way more experience and success in both college and in the CFL. In fact, the only reason to like Davis over Cato is that Davis is a Bomber.

Cato isn't an old beat up car. He's younger than Davis with CFL starts and wins under his belt. Cato's college career was hugely more successful than Davis' with several MVP awards. Davis flunked out of Boston College, went to Fort Scott Community College, then for a couple of years in East Carolina University. No MVP's.

LeFevour? 29. injury history, more Int's than TD's.

Matthews? 25, more Int's than TD's. My 2nd choice behind Cato.

22 minutes ago, mbrg said:

My 2008 Caravan -

Miles Driven: 158,000

Cracks in Windshield: 3

Barfed in by kids: 2

Brand new Alfa Romeo -

Miles Driven: 0

Cracks in Windshield: 0

Barfed in by kids: 0

The numbers clearly demonstrate that my 2008 Caravan is the better vehicle and it's not even close (insert eye-rolly thing because I never show anything but complete and unrelenting disdain for the team I claim to cheer for)

(Maybe, just maybe Cato has more stats because he's played more, which is not an indicator of "better")

Love this post... Chuckled right out loud at "barfed in by kids: 2" Awesome. And spot on. I'm tired of the "any experience is good experience" argument. 

Edited by Noeller

29 minutes ago, mbrg said:

While you're comparison is obviously flawed, you're point is correct. Having more playing time while being on two separate teams, means exactly nothing. Had they both been on the same team, that would actually show the difference in how they've understood the game. But Davis was "unlucky" enough to be behind two "vets" in this system. One young and lots of upside in Willy. And the other a known commodity brought in for the Back up role while Davis was still learning.

Had it been a depth chart of Willy, Davis, Cato or Cato, Davis. Then you could compare them. But Cato was behind the perpetual interception thrower of KG and benefited from some injuries. That's why he was playing. He didn't beat anyone out in camp. And as soon as teams figured him out (after his first game) they were able  to shut him down.

I don't understand how that makes him obviously better. I'm not saying he isn't, I'm just saying there's no tangible way to tell at this point.

EDIT : Come on Tburg, you're not seriously going to use College stats as a reasonable reason why someone will be a better pro player than another....that's some weak sauce, even for you.

Edited by Bigblue204

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

In fact, the only reason to like Davis over Cato is that Davis is a Bomber.

So Davis is a Bomber and Cato is not.

Doesn't that mean that in terms of experience within our system, Davis is better?

Just using your own ridiculous logic against you here. I await your spin.