Around The League Off Season Discussion

I like Taman's quote after karikari went back to the Als

I didn't have a good feeling on this the whole way through," Taman said yesterday. "Last weekend when I was in Tampa, I just felt I was getting used. And then it worked out that I wasn't getting used. Whatever.

pretty sure in the end he was taken for a ride.  god what a horrible gm

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2006/03/11/1483154-sun.html

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah, think he would have been good if he stayed in scouting / assisting in the front office. 

The CFL isn't the same without Taman. Come back Brendan, we miss you.  Just not in Regina or Winnipeg. Hopefully the Esk's hire him soon or Calgary

9 minutes ago, Ripper said:

The CFL isn't the same without Taman. Come back Brendan, we miss you.  Just not in Regina or Winnipeg. Hopefully the Esk's hire him soon or Calgary

haha yeah. every subway in the cities hes worked in misses him dearly. Id take him back as a US scout. Is he just out of football right now?

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Nine-time CFL all-star OL traded for WR Nathan Hoffart who never did a damn thing in the CFL.  Fantastic result for the Riders - says Rod Pedersen.

:lol: One catch then traded to TO. Im sure who ever he was traded for was better then what ever we have that that position...

11 minutes ago, Ripper said:

He'll be GM in Toronto once their NFL mgmt team flames out in one season

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

haha yeah. every subway in the cities hes worked in misses him dearly. Id take him back as a US scout. Is he just out of football right now?

:lol: One catch then traded to TO. Im sure who ever he was traded for was better then what ever we have that that position...

im not even sure I would bring him in to do that, though there isn't a max amount of scouts you can have apparently (see regina). He was always good at unearthing decent import defensive linemen

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Nine-time CFL all-star OL traded for WR Nathan Hoffart who never did a damn thing in the CFL.  Fantastic result for the Riders - says Rod Pedersen.

Flory was a great lineman. Let me re-phrase. We did good from the point that we signed him as free agent and got a first round pick to give him back to Montreal. We got something for nothing. Agree that Nathan Hoffart ended up being nothing in the end. The fact remains however that Flory didn't want to be behind Greene, who was a dam good lineman himself. So we gained a pick for nothing, never saw a loss of production on line because Greene was here.

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

im not even sure I would bring him in to do that, though there isn't a max amount of scouts you can have apparently (see regina). He was always good at unearthing decent import defensive linemen

He brought in a ton of good imp talent, but had some glaring blind positions. Before he became the gm n all that he did even better. 

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Flory was a great lineman. Let me re-phrase. We did good from the point that we signed him as free agent and got a first round pick to give him back to Montreal. We got something for nothing. Agree that Nathan Hoffart ended up being nothing in the end. The fact remains however that Flory didn't want to be behind Greene, who was a dam good lineman himself. So we gained a pick for nothing, never saw a loss of production on line because Greene was here.

Its the way the league was back then. The talent pool in drafting was beyond thin. 

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Yeah I knew what you meant but the end result was just so lopsided I had to say it.  Certainly if you asked anyone here if we could go to free agency and essentially buy a first-round pick, we'd do it in a second..

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He brought in a ton of good imp talent, but had some glaring blind positions. Before he became the gm n all that he did even better. 

Its the way the league was back then. The talent pool in drafting was beyond thin. 

Wasn't Dressler neg listed by Taman?

17 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Not sure, Wiki has Taman still as our GM in 2008 while Dressler Joined the Riders in 2008.  But being from ND I'm sure he was on his radar (or napkins) at some point as people to watch

I read that Dressler was neg listed by Bombers but told not to come to camp, then somehow ended up with Riders. I may be totally delusional here but I'm pretty sure that's how I remember it.

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Dressler was on the neg  list in  Wpg. BT needed a neg list spot and took Dressler off. It just so happened when Dressler was at a Div 2 all star game in Texas and Sask was there scouting and immediately added him when they saw him there.

This is correct.

17 hours ago, Mike said:

What happens in a situation like the Foucault one? Montreal has his rights, but he's certainly worth WAY more than that. That's not realistic to expect him to play for peanuts.

CFLPA?

Most first rounders sign in the 80-90k range Mike....not sure why this surprises you? Josiah St. John held out for a good portion of the season so that he could get 100k a year over 3 years. It may be perceived as low for Foucault and by fans, but there is little the CFLPA could do about this offer really. They can't say it's unfair because it may be low but not unreasonably so. It's up to Foucault to make them blink....demand a trade...get an agent....make some noise.

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

Most first rounders sign in the 80-90k range Mike....not sure why this surprises you? Josiah St. John held out for a good portion of the season so that he could get 100k a year over 3 years. It may be perceived as low for Foucault and by fans, but there is little the CFLPA could do about this offer really. They can't say it's unfair because it may be low but not unreasonably so. It's up to Foucault to make them blink....demand a trade...get an agent....make some noise.

Rookies.  Foucault has been playing in the NFL for the last few years.

14 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Rookies.  Foucault has been playing in the NFL for the last few years.

The reason first rounders sign initial contracts in that price range isn't a reflection of how good a player they are, it is a reflection on the fact that one team has exclusive rights to them. SHOULD Foucault get more...sure. Should JSJ have gotten more last year, or Sukh gotten more out of his rookie deal etc. etc., of course they should have. They just simply aren't in a bargaining position and therefore that is what the entry level price of a first rounder is. Not saying this isn't on the low end....just that it's not so outrageously low that there would be any grounds for anyone to do anything about it. It would be nearly impossible for the CFLPA or anyone else to prove bad faith in the negotiations. The offer is in line with first round salaries. Like it or not, Foucault has proven absolutely nothing in this league.

Edited by gcn11