Around The League Off Season Discussion

12 hours ago, do or die said:

What is with these people tagging Walters as some kind of leader in the league wide conspiracy against the Riders?   

It's flowover from the Vince Young thing.  Cause Walters (and all GMs) would have knowledge of who is on other team's neg lists.

How that gives him special magical powers to see a secret workout in Florida, I don't follow.

Alleged workout.

My guess was when Taman still had a job, 40% of Penton's insider column came from him.

11 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

How's Jones big free-agent signings last year? How many were left on the team?

How 'bout those he acquired on trade, how many did retired? 

I responded to a post about Walters, why are you changing the subject?  I also never said Walters didn't do a good job either. I said don't get carried away. Shologan was a miss and had a poor year. Smith did nothing either, Dressler didn't light the world on fire in between injuries but had a ok year. Cummings was a flop.  Nichols was a good move, Harris was a good move. I think Walters has done a decent job overall. As far as the Riders go, I'm not here to defend some of the moves we have made, in fact I have made better choices drunk on who to take home from the bar, LOL

8 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Keeping was supposed to be the starter, Goosen went in after he was hurt

Keeping was supposed to be the mentor and starter if needed. However He never got the chance as he was hurt during preseason. There was never a moment where he was the clear cut front runner as the starter.

15 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Keeping was supposed to be the mentor and starter if needed. However He never got the chance as he was hurt during preseason. There was never a moment where he was the clear cut front runner as the starter.

I'm certainly not going to go digging for the articles, but I swear I remember that when he was signed, they said "he's going to be the 6th OL and help out where needed"...

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm certainly not going to go digging for the articles, but I swear I remember that when he was signed, they said "he's going to be the 6th OL and help out where needed"...

Correct.

" Keeping was to be Winnipeg’s sixth offensive lineman this season, an area the Bombers remain thin. "

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2016/06/10/22641585.html

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He was sort of the "just in case Goosen isn't ready for it" guy at centre. Plus they loved his locker room presence and felt he was a good option as the backup OL for that reason. 

1 minute ago, Jpan85 said:

Keeping was a good signing even just as a mentor for the young guys.

Yeah I don't get how a rider fan can try saying anything about other teams FA signings. Especially the bombers...who had help from all of them to not only beat the riders twice but also make the playoffs.

They weren't all home run hitters but all played an important part in the win streak last year. And now the team feels like they can improve again on some of them. It's not like they were cut during the season or traded or retired.

4 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Nelson's system might have been better but if you look at teams with high sack totals it is often a result of the combination of players that form the front 7.

yes and no. a system can severely limit ability to rush or inflate it. Setting up twists, and slides to create direct angles to the qb for a guy who cant get off the block well on his own. Or constantly calling pinch/ end contain / gap cancellation.  Good consistent pressure is nearly allways a combination of the right players in a system that works for them. Un like say a QB who can play in an un friendly system and wing stuff, audible and generally just not follow the system in place.