Around The League Off Season Discussion

10 hours ago, Atomic said:

I saw on Twitter that Van Roten is exploring the NFL, Sinkfield too but if that doesn't work he's basically Hamilton-bound.

IMO Deane is a borderline guy... RG or 6th OL.  Someone will pick him up but I'm guessing he wants $$$$ and there aren't a lot of teams willing to shell out for a guy who will be depth going into training camp.  If he's a gambler he will wait.  Because the money will come real fast when someone NEEDS him... otherwise he's going to end up making 110-120k and entering camp as a number 6 OL.  I don't see any team where he would enter camp as a starter.

Huge fan of Shakir Bell right here.  Sask should forget about their NI RB pipe dream and sign Bell asap.  I'd love to see him in Winnipeg but the chances of that are slim to nil.

same here

Edited by M.O.A.B.

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I think Johnson will be a good coach. He used to be able to step in and play SAM linebacker at times. The guy obviously is no dummy. He played with a lot of passion. I hope it works out for him

Also has started games at both cornerback spots, both halfback spots, and even safety.  10 years in the CFL, he has likely seen it all.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Also has started games at both cornerback spots, both halfback spots, and even safety.  10 years in the CFL, he has likely seen it all.

The interesting thing with Jovon is he played really well at all the positions. Some guys can slide spots because of a injury and hope to be serviceable. Jovon actually played very well at safety. I'm trying to think of a defensive back in recent years that could do that

9 hours ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

He might have to do one or two guest coaching gigs first. Like Ike Charlton, who's certainly done ok for himself with the Redblacks.

Think you are on the money here. Get a TC visiting coach type job and impress some one. Other wise im sure he could get a job in the ncaa coaching dbs this year. 

http://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/02/18/4-things-that-cfl-fans-should-know-about-vince-young/

4 things CFL fans should know about Vince Young:

1. He's not actually young.

2. His CFL contract would be worth less than his 2011 birthday party.

3. Everything he knows about the CFL, he learned from Pacman Jones.

4. He will never play a down in the CFL.

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

“Ricky Williams told me that if he knew about the Canadian Football League early on in his career, he would have played his whole career there.”

I thought this quote was interesting... because I actually believe it... Ricky Williams was (and probably still is) a weird dude... he had zero interest in money and possessions... he just wanted to smoke some weed and play some football... he even talked about coming back to the CFL at the tail end of his career b/c he loved it so much...

22 minutes ago, bearpants said:

“Ricky Williams told me that if he knew about the Canadian Football League early on in his career, he would have played his whole career there.”

I thought this quote was interesting... because I actually believe it... Ricky Williams was (and probably still is) a weird dude... he had zero interest in money and possessions... he just wanted to smoke some weed and play some football... he even talked about coming back to the CFL at the tail end of his career b/c he loved it so much...

See I don't know. I feel like he definitely said it. But if he truly wanted to, why didn't he just stay and play?  I mean obviously there's more to it than just picking up and coming up here year after year. But I feel like that quote was more talk than anything else.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

See I don't know. I feel like he definitely said it. But if he truly wanted to, why didn't he just stay and play?  I mean obviously there's more to it than just picking up and coming up here year after year. But I feel like that quote was more talk than anything else.

This was Ricky Williams' reflection, after the fact. He probably went back because he wanted/needed the money and wanted to prove himself in the NFL again.

Yes, he "never cared about money" but those around him did. And, he probably felt some obligation to his friends, family and teammates.

What you want to do and what you can do are often different things.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I recall him having a large debt that CFL cash would never cover.

The Future of the Football Helmet - americanfootballinternational.com/future-footbal… #CFL #NFL.  

http://www.americanfootballinternational.com/future-football-helmet/

Who Won Free Agency in the East Division - Joey Abrams 

http://3downnation.com/2017/02/21/won-free-agency-east-division/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+3downnation%2FgLSo+(3DownNation+A)

Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Key signings: Abdul Kanneh, Emanuel Davis, Xavier Fulton
Losses: Jeff Mathews, Drake Nevis, Chad Owens, Beau Landry, Anthony Woodson, Matt Coates
Nevis is the big loss for Hamilton and does present a hole in the middle of the Ticats defence.
The loss of three core Canadians amongst your depth can be crippling but Hamilton has done a very nice job over the years creating a lot of depth.
Keep an eye on: Nic Shortill

Toronto Argonauts
Key signings: Winston Venable, Jeff Mathews, Johnny Sears Jr., Matt Webster, Jeff Finley, Jeff Fuller, Peter Dyakowski
Losses: AJ Jefferson, Kenny Shaw, Dionte Spencer

Ottawa Redblacks
Key signings: Greg Ellingson, Jerrell Gavins, Nolan MacMillan, AJ Jefferson, Kenny Shaw, Dionte Spencer, Kahlil Bass
Losses: Ernest Jackson, Abdul Kanneh, Chris Williams, Kienan Lafrance
The Redblacks knocked it out of the park from a business and football perspective. 
Each player brought in will help alleviate the loss of players Ottawa let go to free agency. Jefferson for Kanneh, Shaw for Jackson, Spencer for Williams and Bass for Munoz. The talent may not be equal amongst those players but neither is the pay cheque and this is a business and that does matter.

Montreal Alouettes
Key signings: Boris Bede, Nic Boulay, Mike Klassen, Gabe Knapton, Kyries Hebert, Keith Shologan, Jabar Westerman, Don Oramasionwu, Ernest Jackson, Ryan Phillips
Losses: Marc-Olivier Brouillette, Dequin Evans, Winston Venable, Alan-Michael Cash (yet to sign)
With the new signings, the Alouettes look to make a change to the ratio. Looking to have an all-Canadian interior defensive line they have done a nice job finding quality players to fill those roles.
The Alouettes were able to secure the rights of some quality offensive line prospects in December’s neg list draft. There is still likely concern at the lack of CFL experience they have at offensive tackle, so this will be something to key on. 

-General manager Kavis Reed and head coach Jacques Chapdelaine have already mentioned that the team will be playing with a pair of American offensive tackles next season.....As of right now, Mathu Gibson is the only American tackle on the roster.

GM Kavis Reed doesn’t want any player on the #AlsMTL — other than the starting QB — earning more than $150,000. - @HerbZurkowsky1 #CFL

Who was the luckiest QB in the CFL last season? Rakeem Cato, of course.

QBs by % of interceptable passes that WERE picked off #Details

- courtesy of Derek Taylor

Edited by Mr Dee