Around The League Off Season Discussion

6 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I am a little confused... are these two the same person?:

http://www.bluebombers.com/football-operations/paul-boudreau/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Boudreau

and if not, which one are we getting? Lawless better not have just googled the name...

If they are two different people, we will have two Coach Paul_Boudreaux

20 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Just reading they are father and son

5 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

BLuto! Congrats to your Boatmen- good front office installed today.

Thanks. Copeland really pooched our offseason the way he handled it though.

Difficult to be optimistic when we've been handicapped by the poor timing of this all, but I'll try to remember that Trestman is an excellent coach, Popp had a knack for conjuring good players out of thin air for an extended period of time and that we started 4-2 last season before the team just checked out completely, so perhaps there's more talent than our record showed (there has to be)... presuming enough of it shows up in camp.

Either way, our biggest challenge remains convincing people to trek into the city for games. Marketing is pretty much non-existent. Schedule is good though. Likely plenty of empty seats again...

IT IS EASY TO BLAME @CFL BUT THE TRUTH IS IF YOU WANT A "HOME GROWN" CANADIAN QB THE PROCESS MUST BEGIN WELL BEFORE HIS U SPORT CAREER....
U of M Bisons head coach Brian Dobie was convinced Jordan Yantz had a future as a pro quarterback when Blue Bomber GM Kyle Walters gave him a tryout in 2015.       
“Kyle won't like this, but Jordan Yantz was a great fit somewhere in the CFL,” Dobie said. “(Calgary's) Andrew Buckley is.
“His gun was better than most of their guns. He had a stronger arm than Matt Nichols. It's not even close.”
Yet Yantz was released without even making an appearance in a pre-season game.
Dobie wasn't saying Yantz is better than Nichols, who's since taken over as the Bomber starter.

"Does he love football?" - What MOS asks whenever He and Kyle Walters check out candidates to become a Winnipeg Blue Bomber.

Marshall Ferguson charts - Who went where...
IMG_0236.jpg.     

IMG_0237.jpg.           
Then there are team by team charts on signings. Interesting, especially if you love pie charts.

https://twitter.com/cfl_headlines/status/836201392540954624

CFL News - If I had to bet right now, I'd bet it's Drew Willy (who is starting at beginning of season) & on a short leash - @TSNDaveNaylor #CFL #Argos
?‍?Cummings and goings: Welcome free agent defensive tackle Euclid Cummings to the Green and Gold. bit.ly/2mwtd6c
?‍?Grain of salt words....after all he signed he left Calgary and signed with Saskatchewan:  Derek Denis - Trestman is great addition to Toronto I enjoyed my time with him in Chicago! 
CFL News - #Argos DC may not be Rich Stubler. May be Corey Chamblin. #CFL
?‍?Apparently the Argos will be using the "delayed draw" a lot this season as evidenced by the delayed announcing of a GM and HC.

MOCK DRAFT - Bomber Buzz
Winnipeg Blue Bombers: NT Eli Ankou, UCLA
Saskatchewan Roughriders: OL Mason Woods, Idaho
BC Lions: DE Kwaku Boateng, Wilfred Laurier
Hamilton Tiger-Cats: WR Rashaun Simonise, Calgary
Edmonton Eskimos: LB Christophe Mulumba Tshimanga, Maine
Winnipeg Blue Bombers: WR Danny Vandervoort, McMaster
BC Lions: OL Geoff Gray, Manitoba
Calgary Stampeders: TE Antony Auclair, Laval
Ottawa REDBLACKS: WR Nathaniel Behar, Carleton
https://bomberbuzz.com/2017/02/28/cfl-draft-2017-mock-draft-version-1-0/

Lawless - Copeland says with Popp and Trestman he believes @TorontoArgos now have strongest front office in @cfl #cfl. Wally and Huff would disagree -?‍? so would I.
CFL News 
"I love the #CFL" - Marc Trestman, New @TorontoArgos Head Coach 
Welcome back Marc! 
Herb Zurkowsky - Marc Trestman identifies Ricky Ray as Toronto's starting QB. "No competition starting out."

CFL News - OL David Foucault wants a better deal from #AlsMTL 
rds.ca/videos/footbal… #CFL #LCF via @DidierRDS (in French)

-.@BrendonLaBatte's doctor said he's more likely 2 B killed in car accident than his injury 2 B recurring deal - @IanHamilton45 #CFL #Riders

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I was reading that when Copeland worked in the league office, he and Popp had a really bad relationship, so he didn't want the guy at all, but apparently it was the only way they could get Trestman, so they had to swallow their pride a bit....

Hoping that this may be the end of Copeland. He made several tries to get Trestman and was rebuffed and so Tannenbaum goes around him to get Popp who closes the Trestman deal. Meanwhile, Milo and Barks were twisting in the wind and knew it was all happening.

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Hoping that this may be the end of Copeland. He made several tries to get Trestman and was rebuffed and so Tannenbaum goes around him to get Popp who closes the Trestman deal. Meanwhile, Milo and Barks were twisting in the wind and knew it was all happening.

Maybe I misread the situation but I thought Milo was done right from the end of the season? The 'leaks' coming out were that he was hoping to be fired, so he could collect the cheque but still planned on leaving the team. Eventually, he was forced to quit to accept the position with the Jags.

As much as I think they (Copeland) didn't treat Barker correctly and probably hampered their team, I wouldn't blame them for the Milo situation.

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

Love or hate Barker, you hate to see anyone with as storied a history in this league as him get treated that way. It's a real shame, for sure...

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

MOCK DRAFT - Bomber Buzz
Winnipeg Blue Bombers: NT Eli Ankou, UCLA
Saskatchewan Roughriders: OL Mason Woods, Idaho
BC Lions: DE Kwaku Boateng, Wilfred Laurier
Hamilton Tiger-Cats: WR Rashaun Simonise, Calgary
Edmonton Eskimos: LB Christophe Mulumba Tshimanga, Maine
Winnipeg Blue Bombers: WR Danny Vandervoort, McMaster
BC Lions: OL Geoff Gray, Manitoba
Calgary Stampeders: TE Antony Auclair, Laval
Ottawa REDBLACKS: WR Nathaniel Behar, Carleton
https://bomberbuzz.com/2017/02/28/cfl-draft-2017-mock-draft-version-1-0/

I don't love the idea of not taking an OL with one of our 2 picks... but the idea of getting 2 guys who could contribute this season is nice... and it depends on who might be available at 15 as well...

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Don't always agree with Eric from Bomber Buzz, but I think he pretty much nailed it on that mock draft.

Agreed.  The part that misses the mark on most mock drafts (like that Edmonton blog) is that they just plug names into perceived holes, ignoring that GMs demonstrate tendencies over the years.  AuClair to anyone else?  I'm not sure how he gets used (since I'm not a scout, or particularly smart).  AuClair to the Stamps?  That seems very Huffnagel to me.  Buono getting someone to come off the edge seems very Buono to me.  These all make sense.

3 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Agreed.  The part that misses the mark on most mock drafts (like that Edmonton blog) is that they just plug names into perceived holes, ignoring that GMs demonstrate tendencies over the years.  AuClair to anyone else?  I'm not sure how he gets used (since I'm not a scout, or particularly smart).  AuClair to the Stamps?  That seems very Huffnagel to me.  Buono getting someone to come off the edge seems very Buono to me.  These all make sense.

You have to think Walters/MOS will target 'football guys'. Players that love the game. Eat, sleep, and breathe the game.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

You have to think Walters/MOS will target 'football guys'. Players that love the game. Eat, sleep, and breathe the game.

are you basing this solely on the tweet that Mr Dee shared earlier where MOS says that he targets players who love the game?

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

are you basing this solely on the tweet that Mr Dee shared earlier where MOS says that he targets players who love the game?

No. He's talked about it before, about the type of players he likes. Most recently, during an interview with TSN1290 that he and Walters' did.

Now, I'm sure they target talent first but I think the personal interviews will go a long way. That's why I don't think they've made their decision on who they'll pick first overall yet. That, and the NFL pick-ups and neg list players that will become available or unavailable.

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

No. He's talked about it before, about the type of players he likes. Most recently, during an interview with TSN1290 that he and Walters' did.

Now, I'm sure they target talent first but I think the personal interviews will go a long way. That's why I don't think they've made their decision on who they'll pick first overall yet. That, and the NFL pick-ups and neg list players that will become available or unavailable.

If the talent matches that attitude that's what they are looking for. Easier to get their full potential out of them.