Around The League Off Season Discussion

7 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Never seen him play? Not even on film??.... anyways, my guess would be they are hoping for one more year out of Ray and have him mentor Willy this season... at that point they'd hope Willy is ready to be the starter in 2018, which I also think is when his contract increases too... he also turns 32 years old and some point in 2018 so if he doesn't seem ready to be a starter at that point he's either out of football or becomes a decent back-up floating around the league...

13 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Thomas Miles released by Argos? 

I'll sign him in a heartbeat. Drop any of Renaud, Rush and Whonder.

I agree... Gary Lawless also reporting the Riders and Bombers in the mix for Eddie Steele... I imagine the Riders have more money to offer but hopefully he sees this as a better opportunity... 

13 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I agree... Gary Lawless also reporting the Riders and Bombers in the mix for Eddie Steele... I imagine the Riders have more money to offer but hopefully he sees this as a better opportunity... 

But he has a history and GC with Jones.

I hope 'home' is a bigger draw.

1 catch in 2 years is failure. I don't see how anyone can say he's succeeded in his CFL career.

Richards is under contract. He'll get one more chance with the Bombers in TC this year. Assuming we draft a receiver, he'll be in competition for the last NI receiver spot. With 2 years of experience, he'd better win it, or else he'll find himself looking for a new job.

58 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Thomas Miles released by Argos? 

I'll sign him in a heartbeat. Drop any of Renaud, Rush and Whonder.

We probably could sign him and wouldn't have to drop anyone until sometime near the middle of June.

It would be nice to have increased local content AND improve the football team at the same time.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

1 catch in 2 years is failure. I don't see how anyone can say he's succeeded in his CFL career.

Richards is under contract. He'll get one more chance with the Bombers in TC this year. Assuming we draft a receiver, he'll be in competition for the last NI receiver spot. With 2 years of experience, he'd better win it, or else he'll find himself looking for a new job.

its typical back up hype logic. He hasnt failed yet, so he isnt a failure. He isnt a failure so hes a success in progress. 

This has got to be his make or break year. Back in the day with far less high end NI talent we managed guys like jaimie stoddard and markus howell. even guys like geoff drover. All of whom make the likes of jade and richards seem sad. 

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I get it, there's absolutely no middle ground between success and failure :P.... literally, no body has said he has been a success... IMO he has been a disappointment thus far and he has this year to prove he belongs... if he doesn't, then I think it's fair to call him a failure...

Folks admit that Richards hasn't had any success what so ever in 2 years, but still say you can't call him a failure? What would you call him? Great? Nope. Good? Nope. Average? Nope. Below Average? Sure, as long as you add Way before the below. 

Will he be a failure this year? That remains to be seen. Has he been a failure so far? U bet.

Why do fans seem to take it personally when a draft pick doesn't live up to their expectations? 

Having now read how thoroughly the staff goes through evaluating the combines and film of each and every player in the CIS and then some, you have to expect they have way more knowledge and more 'real' expectations than we fans. 

Richards cannot be deemed a failure until he fails. So far, due to injuries, he hasn't really had the opportunity. So dump him? I think not.

Let somebody beat him out of a position. Then, you can pick on the new guy if he doesn't all-star in his 1st try.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I get it, there's absolutely no middle ground between success and failure :P.... literally, no body has said he has been a success... IMO he has been a disappointment thus far and he has this year to prove he belongs... if he doesn't, then I think it's fair to call him a failure...

I think as some suggest, it's just not the season to show what he can do but training camp. I don't want to see Richards fail. I just want to see if the potential is there.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

it has to be a success or fail at this point tho?  No grey area for a developing player??

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Why do fans seem to take it personally when a draft pick doesn't live up to their expectations? 

Having now read how thoroughly the staff goes through evaluating the combines and film of each and every player in the CIS and then some, you have to expect they have way more knowledge and more 'real' expectations than we fans. 

Richards cannot be deemed a failure until he fails. So far, due to injuries, he hasn't really had the opportunity. So dump him? I think not.

Let somebody beat him out of a position. Then, you can pick on the new guy if he doesn't all-star in his 1st try.

exactly!  He hasn't had a chance to fail as he hasn't been in a situation where he has had to make or break.   Injuries and depth have kept him as developmental or potential.. not quite a spot where a kid can prove himself a success or failure imo... and frankly, wtf does it even matter? if he develops, awesome.. if he doesn't, oh well.. its not like its a personal affront to me if he doesn't pan out but others deem it a requirement to label players thusly..

does not compute.

10 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

it has to be a success or fail at this point tho?  No grey area for a developing player??

Tons of grey area between success and failure, but you can't call him great or good or above average or average or slightly below average yet. That leaves failure IMO. What else is there?

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Tons of grey area between success and failure, but you can't call him great or good or above average or average or slightly below average yet. That leaves failure IMO. What else is there?

you just admit to the grey area but need to define him in an absolute statement?  mind bottling..

he is a developmental prospect that hasn't proven himself.   So I'd probably just call him that...

3 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

you just admit to the grey area but need to define him in an absolute statement?  mind bottling..

he is a developmental prospect that hasn't proven himself.   So I'd probably just call him that...

Nice try... I also defined a bunch of different things in the grey area and he's none of them. I haven't seen a single example of any success that Richards has had in the CFL. As it stands Jade freakn' Etienne had more success in the CFL.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Nice try... I also defined a bunch of different things in the grey area and he's none of them. I haven't seen a single example of any success that Richards has had in the CFL. As it stands Jade freakn' Etienne had more success in the CFL.

theres no try because its fact.  Has he had a chance to prove himself or establish himself?  Nope.  Thusly, he isn't really in a position to be called a success or a failure.  you DO understand that, right?  you have to be given an opportunity to become a success or failure before you can be called one.  Would it be fair for me to call you a BC lions fan simply because you live in lotus land?  no, I call you a bomber fan because you seem to generally be passionate about the blue and gold AND have proven it.. well, sorta anyway lol.