Around The League Off Season Discussion

Richards needs to **** or get off the pot. Sure, you can measure success in a wide variety of ways... but if Addison Richards' goal is to make a CFL roster and contibute to that team's success... then thus far he has been a failure. His ship hasn't sailed yet though. He's just a popular target because of who was left on the board after he was taken... Daryl Waud, Lemar Durant, Shaq Murray-Lawerence... even Manitoba boy and recently coveted FA Kienan LaFrance was taken in the 6th round when Richards went in the 2nd.

I know the draft is a crap shoot and every GM has iffy picks. Some are just more egregious than others after some reflection.

23 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

theres no try because its fact.  Has he had a chance to prove himself or establish himself?  Nope.  Thusly, he isn't really in a position to be called a success or a failure.  you DO understand that, right?  you have to be given an opportunity to become a success or failure before you can be called one.  Would it be fair for me to call you a BC lions fan simply because you live in lotus land?  no, I call you a bomber fan because you seem to generally be passionate about the blue and gold AND have proven it.. well, sorta anyway lol.

He's had 2 years to prove that he deserves an opportunity. When he got one, he didn't have any success.

BTW I'm in Calgary these days and simply posting as much as I do around here while not posting at all on any other teams sites proves I'm a Bomber fan.

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks admit that Richards hasn't had any success what so ever in 2 years, but still say you can't call him a failure? What would you call him? Great? Nope. Good? Nope. Average? Nope. Below Average? Sure, as long as you add Way before the below. 

Will he be a failure this year? That remains to be seen. Has he been a failure so far? U bet.

Richards is awful and had no business being picked over LeMar Durant. Guys like Poblah and even Etienne couldn't stay in the league, and they're far better players than Richards.

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

He's had 2 years to prove that he deserves an opportunity. When he got one, he didn't have any success.

?

When was that?

He was injured most of the first season, injured in camp last year, came back mid-season and played special teams while sitting third on the NI receiver depth chart behind Kohlert and JFG.  He lined up on the wide side for some garbage time snaps in the last 3 minutes for a couple of games late in the season.  That has been his entire CFL opportunity.

People here are acting like he has been playing the long con against us - growing up playing football, a successful career in the CIS, a good combine and high pre-draft ranking, a contract, and then "made it, now I can do nothing for three years".  I'd imagine no one is more disappointed with how his last two seasons have gone than Richards himself.

An unfortunate series of events has happened which has given us no data to draw any conclusions at all from.  Maybe his CFL career will come to an end with him stuck as a victim of bad luck after another camp injury.  Maybe JFG gets injured in game 1 and Richards has an 800 yard season.  Either one is plausible because there is no data to draw from.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I believe this will be the first Training Camp for AR where he's not coming off injury or rehab....should be 100% healthy with a full offseason of training.

Yep, give him a chance. He's got the tools and unfortunately injuries have plagued him his first couple of years. He's still young and you never know. 

People have no patience to let draft picks try and develop at all. I kind of get that, but why all the rage at them? Sure it'd be nice to get guys who contribute right away but if they're OK letting him take a few years why be so openly hostile before he even gets a chance to show if that time is worth it or not?

The thing about saying we should have selected Durant or Waud ahead of Richards, is that I don't think we know the whole story. There's more to the CFL Draft than just the CFL Scouting Bureau's draft list. Maybe Waud told teams when interviewed that he only wants to play in Southern Ontario? Maybe Durant said something, came off the wrong way, or farted in his interview? Maybe a former coach told CFL clubs something they didn't like. Durant did slide pretty far from where he was expected to go, so maybe there was a reason.

I honestly don't know a thing about Richards, other than he's been injured... I think everyone would agree though, that they would love Richards to step up this year.

1 minute ago, Dr. Blue said:

The thing about saying we should have selected Durant or Waud ahead of Richards, is that I don't think we know the whole story. There's more to the CFL Draft than just the CFL Scouting Bureau's draft list. Maybe Waud told teams when interviewed that he only wants to play in Southern Ontario? Maybe Durant said something, came off the wrong way, or farted in his interview? Maybe a former coach told CFL clubs something they didn't like. Durant did slide pretty far from where he was expected to go, so maybe there was a reason.

I honestly don't know a thing about Richards, other than he's been injured... I think everyone would agree though, that they would love Richards to step up this year.

Well documented that Durant is/was a headcase and virtually every team steered clear, causing his stock to absolutely plummet. You can argue that he's at least shown some stats in his limited time with the Stamps, but I don't fault the Bombers from avoiding a potential troublemaker. I've always appreciated the Bombers dedication to drafting/recruiting players who are good PEOPLE above all else...

3 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

iirc durant fell a bunch because of being a head case. Which is the last thing this team wants. waud i think was pretty high percentile to go to the nfl for atleast a bit too. didnt we pass on durant twice? 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Well documented that Durant is/was a headcase and virtually every team steered clear, causing his stock to absolutely plummet. You can argue that he's at least shown some stats in his limited time with the Stamps, but I don't fault the Bombers from avoiding a potential troublemaker. I've always appreciated the Bombers dedication to drafting/recruiting players who are good PEOPLE above all else...

this is what i thought yeah. 

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Maybe drafting good PEOPLE ahead of good FOOTBALL players, when you're getting paid to play FOOTBALL isn't the greatest plan.

9 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Is there no a concern about the depth or lack there of at the National WR spot?

I believe you are absolutely the first person to address a concern about the National WR spot on this board...I don't think anyone has mentioned it even once over the past month................

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I believe you are absolutely the first person to address a concern about the National WR spot on this board...I don't think anyone has mentioned it even once over the past month................

Do you think we have a problem here? First I'm hearing of this. 

I've never seen a Harry Potter movie in my life, but damn it if I didn't laugh at that. Talking with @17to85 the other day about VDeV and he says, randomly, "there's always one team with all the ******' Dutchmen..." and I laughed right out loud. Goddamned Dutchmen.... 

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Not true, if so , well documented WHERE? Cite valid and reliable  sources if you're going to make such a ludicrous comment. I am very familiar with this young man, and have watched him play since High school, through college to pros. He maintains a great relationship with his HS coach Kevin Phillips, who is also his off-season trainer - as well as his teammates from HS. My daughter attended SFU when he was playing for 4 years, where he also had a great relationship with Dave Johnson, SFU's coach, and teammates  Chapdelaine then stepped in for a year - they were also fine. And there's certainly been ZERO talk about such concerns since he  joined the Stampeders 2 years ago. NONE at all.

I'm a huge fan. I follow him on facebook, twitter and instagram. Perhaps you should do the same, so you know what you're talking about, a bit more. Shame on you buddy.

All of his accomplishments are celebrated by his former and current  teammates and coaches -- and teachers- clearly on social media

His stock dropping remains a mystery, even according to the CFL.  Read up on that. Rumors run rampant because of people like you, and weak minded folks who can't think for themselves

I think you might be the headcase,

Cheers.

Edited by Ace_Wells