Around The League Off Season Discussion

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

iirc durant fell a bunch because of being a head case. Which is the last thing this team wants. waud i think was pretty high percentile to go to the nfl for atleast a bit too. didnt we pass on durant twice? 

this is what i thought yeah. 

Yeah Darryl Waud was in camp with Washington... but he left after about a week to go back to Toronto... If I recall correctly, I think it had to do with being in the no fun league... he wanted to come to a place where he would actually enjoy football knowing that his career would likely be limited...

Edited by bearpants

8 hours ago, Ace_Wells said:

Not true, if so , well documented WHERE? Cite valid and reliable  sources if you're going to make such a ludicrous comment. I am very familiar with this young man, and have watched him play since High school, through college to pros. He maintains a great relationship with his HS coach Kevin Phillips, who is also his off-season trainer - as well as his teammates from HS. My daughter attended SFU when he was playing for 4 years, where he also had a great relationship with Dave Johnson, SFU's coach, and teammates  Chapdelaine then stepped in for a year - they were also fine. And there's certainly been ZERO talk about such concerns since he  joined the Stampeders 2 years ago. NONE at all.

I'm a huge fan. I follow him on facebook, twitter and instagram. Perhaps you should do the same, so you know what you're talking about, a bit more. Shame on you buddy.

All of his accomplishments are celebrated by his former and current  teammates and coaches -- and teachers- clearly on social media

His stock dropping remains a mystery, even according to the CFL.  Read up on that. Rumors run rampant because of people like you, and weak minded folks who can't think for themselves

I think you might be the headcase,

Cheers.

Oh boy, where to start....

Working backwards, last first... Headcase? Okay Mr Durant, you're the one coming to the Blue Bomber fan forum, to try to convince us about a player on the Stampeders.

His stock dropping not really a surprise. Even if he didn't have an attitude problem, he was getting real attention from the NFL, including an invite to the Giants rookie camp. Yes, Richards went too and Demski to the Browns(?) rookie camp but it was Durant that fit the NFL model the best. So, regardless of any concerns, if they thought he was going to the NFL or at least sniff around for a while, it made sense to skip him in the first round.

Just an FYI - no one in the CFL or who has influence in the CFL reads these boards or cares what we think. So, if there are rumours or whatever coming out of the CFL, it's not coming from Noeller, anyone else on MBB, or any other fan board in the CFL.

All his accomplishments... blah, blah, blah. Social media... blah, blah, blah. Guess what? Everyone in the CFL has had success at some point in their careers or they wouldn't be in the CFL.

Oh, you follow him on social media, please tell me more about this good friend of yours?

Good thing for him that he hasn't had any problems - ZERO, as you say - since joining the Stamps because Huff wouldn't put up with his crap. So, he would be bouncing around the league if he did. I hope for him that he has a good long, successful career.

You've watched him play, so you know this man? Good lord, go home, you're drunk.

Lemar's uncle has one thing right... Durant's alleged attitude was just another possible explanation for his stock dropping prior to the draft that many adopted as fact. More likely than anything, it was the NFL that chased teams off because Durant was the WR with the best chance to make it - he was that good. CGY could afford to take a flyer, and were probably doing backflips when Durant fell to them.

I'm no expert or anything, but I did go to elementary school with Joe Poplawski's kids, so you know, we're pretty tight and I know a great Canadian receiver when I see one ;)

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Alright, who told Durants Dad about MBB?

Feel free to look me up - links on my profile. No relation at all. Definitely not. I'll wait.

As for Mr. Durant? I think you're drunk. Why would you make such an insane assumption, without research? Oh wait probably the same reason someone would paint him out to be a villain, yet have zero corresponding evidence. I guess that's expected on this forum.  Your rivals.

As far as knowing him because I've watched a few games - I can't say I know him, I said I am familiar. I am definitely MORE familiar - being that I have followed him, my daughter actually knows him -- than someone who is acting like they know him stating he's a headcase, with authority.

The mention of accomplishments, and who celebrates them --  was not around thinking he's any different than any other CFL player as you suggested....it was the fact that IF he was who the above user was claiming -- he sure has tight relationships with all the people who he's worked with closely. Nutshell- that claim is garbage.

Anyways, I'm done here. Ya'll do what you're comfortable doing. 

GL this season.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Oh boy, where to start....

Working backwards, last first... Headcase? Okay Mr Durant, you're the one coming to the Blue Bomber fan forum, to try to convince us about a player on the Stampeders.

His stock dropping not really a surprise. Even if he didn't have an attitude problem, he was getting real attention from the NFL, including an invite to the Giants rookie camp. Yes, Richards went too and Demski to the Browns(?) rookie camp but it was Durant that fit the NFL model the best. So, regardless of any concerns, if they thought he was going to the NFL or at least sniff around for a while, it made sense to skip him in the first round.

Just an FYI - no one in the CFL or who has influence in the CFL reads these boards or cares what we think. So, if there are rumours or whatever coming out of the CFL, it's not coming from Noeller, anyone else on MBB, or any other fan board in the CFL.

All his accomplishments... blah, blah, blah. Social media... blah, blah, blah. Guess what? Everyone in the CFL has had success at some point in their careers or they wouldn't be in the CFL.

Oh, you follow him on social media, please tell me more about this good friend of yours?

Good thing for him that he hasn't had any problems - ZERO, as you say - since joining the Stamps because Huff wouldn't put up with his crap. So, he would be bouncing around the league if he did. I hope for him that he has a good long, successful career.

You've watched him play, so you know this man? Good lord, go home, you're drunk.

Edited by Ace_Wells

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Well, if you look at my Twitter profile, you would think I was a Llama, so we can all pretend, Mr. Durant.

If you come to the assumption I am him, I see how you can arrive at any other false assumption. Mr Richards. ;) I don't hide behind anonymity on social media to talk crap. I use twitter for business. No llama picture for me ;)

Without going to the Googles to dig, what I remember from Durant's draft is that at LEAST one (quite possibly all) the insiders (maybe it was Lawless, maybe Naylor, maybe Dunk...) were saying that Durant scared people off because of "attitude problems", which you can take for what it's worth. I don't know the kid from a whole in the ground, but what I posted is what I read during that year's combine. 

1 minute ago, Ace_Wells said:

If you come to the assumption I am him, I see how you can arrive at any other false assumption. Mr Richards. ;) I don't hide behind anonymity on social media to talk crap. I use twitter for business. No llama picture for me ;)

My nephew was a quality pick for the Bombers....

I don't hide, my name is out there. I just don't put my pic out there.

And, "for business"?

http://3downnation.com/2016/12/13/walters-oshea-deserving-contract-extensions-growth-needed/

"... One of the reasons Richards was selected over Durant was due to concerns about the latter’s character. Rumors swirled during the 2015 CFL combine that Durant had a poor attitude, showing up to interviews late dressed in sloppy attire..."

In other news:

Per #CFL sources: Sask tried to force the hand of two starting Canadian OL - Dan Clark and Brendon LaBatte - to take paycuts this off-season

@ArashMadani

Without a high-priced QB on the payroll, wonder how much deferring 2016 salary to 2017 cap ed Riders to asking vets to take paycuts. #CFL

Edited by Noeller

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Without going to the Googles to dig, what I remember from Durant's draft is that at LEAST one (quite possibly all) the insiders (maybe it was Lawless, maybe Naylor, maybe Dunk...) were saying that Durant scared people off because of "attitude problems", which you can take for what it's worth. I don't know the kid from a whole in the ground, but what I posted is what I read during that year's combine. 

I read that, I also read that they felt he was inexperienced with the Canadian game, and the reality was, he didn't have a great combine.  These are facts.

That article is still  based on rumors .  I saw interviews and he didn't look sloppy to me, at all. Dress shirt, slacks, dress shoes...  looked like he was wearing the same gear as most other players .

Anyways, #IsItJuneYet 

Bring on the season.

Take care.

Edited by Ace_Wells

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

http://3downnation.com/2016/12/13/walters-oshea-deserving-contract-extensions-growth-needed/

"... One of the reasons Richards was selected over Durant was due to concerns about the latter’s character. Rumors swirled during the 2015 CFL combine that Durant had a poor attitude, showing up to interviews late dressed in sloppy attire..."

And yet...

"Arguably the lowest moment of Kyle Walters’ tenure as general manager of the Blue Bombers was the decision to select Regina receiver Addison Richards eleventh overall in the 2015 CFL draft over Simon Fraser’s Lemar Durant.

Durant, later selected eighteenth overall by the Stampeders, has recorded 572 receiving yards and four touchdowns through two seasons in Calgary, by far the most of any receiver selected in the 2015 CFL draft. The Simon Fraser product also had a strong Grey Cup game, grabbing four passes for 59 yards and a touchdown. Had the Stampeders won, Durant would have been the front-runner to be named the game’s Most Valuable Canadian.

Richards, to date, may be the first receiver in CFL history who has recorded more career drops (2) than receptions (1). The Regina product has never started a game and does not play on special teams, meaning he often doesn’t see the field during games. For a league that allows teams to dress only 44 players, using a roster spot on a player who fails to reach the field is a serious competitive disadvantage."

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

I believe you are absolutely the first person to address a concern about the National WR spot on this board...I don't think anyone has mentioned it even once over the past month................

par for the course here in bomber land during the off season. If the redundant talk of qb2, ni wr, etc are too tiring you can allways go back and look at the doom and gloom posts of the previous years and the half dozen holes we had lol. Or the first few weeks of the last few seasons :P

20 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Richards is awful and had no business being picked over LeMar Durant. Guys like Poblah and even Etienne couldn't stay in the league, and they're far better players than Richards.

jade etienne isnt a far better then any one. Poblah had tons of talent but couldnt stay healthy. The durant fall was surprising, but rumors abound about his being a head case. And this regime doesnt have interest in that kind of player. No matter how talented. 

11 hours ago, Ace_Wells said:

Not true, if so , well documented WHERE? Cite valid and reliable  sources if you're going to make such a ludicrous comment. I am very familiar with this young man, and have watched him play since High school, through college to pros. He maintains a great relationship with his HS coach Kevin Phillips, who is also his off-season trainer - as well as his teammates from HS. My daughter attended SFU when he was playing for 4 years, where he also had a great relationship with Dave Johnson, SFU's coach, and teammates  Chapdelaine then stepped in for a year - they were also fine. And there's certainly been ZERO talk about such concerns since he  joined the Stampeders 2 years ago. NONE at all.

I'm a huge fan. I follow him on facebook, twitter and instagram. Perhaps you should do the same, so you know what you're talking about, a bit more. Shame on you buddy.

All of his accomplishments are celebrated by his former and current  teammates and coaches -- and teachers- clearly on social media

His stock dropping remains a mystery, even according to the CFL.  Read up on that. Rumors run rampant because of people like you, and weak minded folks who can't think for themselves

I think you might be the headcase,

Cheers.

Some thing every one here has heard. Link posted earlier in the thread. You show up out of the blue, sign up, just to rant and rave the contrary to a small part of a threads discussion. There is no proof that he is a head case. It was the rumor. And it fits. You came in with nothing but rants to the contrary with no facts your self demanding facts. If one thing is for sure, we know who the head case is. :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, mbrg said:

?

When was that?

He was injured most of the first season, injured in camp last year, came back mid-season and played special teams while sitting third on the NI receiver depth chart behind Kohlert and JFG.  He lined up on the wide side for some garbage time snaps in the last 3 minutes for a couple of games late in the season.  That has been his entire CFL opportunity.

People here are acting like he has been playing the long con against us - growing up playing football, a successful career in the CIS, a good combine and high pre-draft ranking, a contract, and then "made it, now I can do nothing for three years".  I'd imagine no one is more disappointed with how his last two seasons have gone than Richards himself.

An unfortunate series of events has happened which has given us no data to draw any conclusions at all from.  Maybe his CFL career will come to an end with him stuck as a victim of bad luck after another camp injury.  Maybe JFG gets injured in game 1 and Richards has an 800 yard season.  Either one is plausible because there is no data to draw from.

I'm so glad others can see this and its not just me.  He has been dealt a shitty hand up to this point.  I do agree with the general statement that this does need to be his make or break season tho.. He does need to validate his position on the roster or be moved to make way for someone else.  I fully expect him to show well in camp if he stays healthy and if he inadvertently injures himself again to be cut adrift..

52 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

And yet...

"Arguably the lowest moment of Kyle Walters’ tenure as general manager of the Blue Bombers was the decision to select Regina receiver Addison Richards eleventh overall in the 2015 CFL draft over Simon Fraser’s Lemar Durant.

Durant, later selected eighteenth overall by the Stampeders, has recorded 572 receiving yards and four touchdowns through two seasons in Calgary, by far the most of any receiver selected in the 2015 CFL draft. The Simon Fraser product also had a strong Grey Cup game, grabbing four passes for 59 yards and a touchdown. Had the Stampeders won, Durant would have been the front-runner to be named the game’s Most Valuable Canadian.

Richards, to date, may be the first receiver in CFL history who has recorded more career drops (2) than receptions (1). The Regina product has never started a game and does not play on special teams, meaning he often doesn’t see the field during games. For a league that allows teams to dress only 44 players, using a roster spot on a player who fails to reach the field is a serious competitive disadvantage."

you're using 3rddownnation's writer to justify a stance on Richards?  I mean.. sure.. hes a "journalist" just like I'm a "blogger" lol but really.. hes a fan and that's kind of it..

Id rather trust Walters and O'shea's stance on him over this guy.

18 hours ago, 17to85 said:

People have no patience to let draft picks try and develop at all. I kind of get that, but why all the rage at them? Sure it'd be nice to get guys who contribute right away but if they're OK letting him take a few years why be so openly hostile before he even gets a chance to show if that time is worth it or not?

I'll never understand this either.   Project picks (even if they were not meant to be projects) are so frowned upon here.   how dare someone take longer to develop or suffer a setback! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!

makes no sense.  its like everyone has this misconception that players should always pan out instantly or else be shunned and tossed to the garbage pile..

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

I believe you are absolutely the first person to address a concern about the National WR spot on this board...I don't think anyone has mentioned it even once over the past month................

damnit! I knew we were forgetting something.

Mr. Wells, you are correct that Durant is not a head case. That is a gross exaggeration of what happened to Durant at the draft. HOWEVER, it was discussed by media and confirmed by CFL insiders that CFL GMs found Durant to be odd and were put off by his interviews at the combine. That doesn't make him a head case, but he apparently does not make a very favorable first impression and that worried a lot of CFL GMs.

Is a first impression always a correct one? Of course not and the Stamps are probably feeling pretty good about picking Durant.

Edited by gcn11

16 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

you're using 3rddownnation's writer to justify a stance on Richards?  I mean.. sure.. hes a "journalist" just like I'm a "blogger" lol but really.. hes a fan and that's kind of it..

Id rather trust Walters and O'shea's stance on him over this guy.

I don't know who he is or what his qualifications are.  I do appreciate any additional CFL content, even if I don't regularly read their site.

But he seems to have Richards mixed up with Ettiene, maybe for the sake of convenience in constructing an argument against Walters.  Richards didn't take up a spot on the 44 man roster when he was injured because why would he, and when he was healthy he did play some special teams.  The kickoff team, in case anyone was wondering.

So there was never a "wasted roster spot" because of Richards, and if Richards wasn't even on the Bombers some other Canadian depth receiver like Kris Bastien or Liam Mahoney or Bobby Canucklehead would have been on the 44 man roster because that is how CFL teams have to make up a roster - Canadian players provide most of the depth for American starters and typically all of the Canadian starters.  Unless we are DI-ing an import receiver, there will always be 3 NI receivers on a gameday roster, and that was true even when the gameday roster was only 42 players and Geoff Drover was "wasting a roster spot".

Honestly, is winter so long that logic and reason are completely abandoned from February to May until we've all thawed out enough?

Let's circle back to the daily circus immediately to the West of us. Just a quick post to bring everyone up to date on the latest from the gong show that is the big rectangle.

Vince Young has apparently tweeted that he will be the QB for the Saskatchewan RoughRiders

Madani has reported that the Riders have asked Labatte and Clark to take pay cuts this season for cap relief purposes.

LMAO....Rectal Sauce and Rotor Rooter are in full blown spin/damage control mode over there right now. Apparently the media has a secret agenda against the Riders.

It just doesn't get any more entertaining than that.

Edited by gcn11

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

In other news:

Per #CFL sources: Sask tried to force the hand of two starting Canadian OL - Dan Clark and Brendon LaBatte - to take paycuts this off-season

@ArashMadani

Without a high-priced QB on the payroll, wonder how much deferring 2016 salary to 2017 cap ed Riders to asking vets to take paycuts. #CFL

These twitter comments have touched off a firestorm of defence on the Rider forum. They ask why does Arash always pick on the Riders? AND, no, we have plenty of cap space. AND, the sources must be invalid. FAKE NEWS.

Everything to say this isn't true. But where did this come from? And how accurate is it? Do the Riders have all the cap space in the world..or not?

Perhaps we ask the new Ace reporter if any of this is valid? His daughter might know.

And while we're at it, from their own boy - Rod Pedersen:

RUMOUR ALERT: And finally, a source told me Tuesday evening that the Roughriders have shipped CFL footballs to Vince Young in Texas in order to get him further acclimated to the CFL game. I asked the source - who is in no way affiliated with the Roughriders - how confident he is in his information and he said "Very".