Around The League Off Season Discussion

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

Exact same article Noeller linked and quoted ton back up the 'head case' claim. Two sides to the same coin there bud.

and yet... I never commended Noeller for using it.. Soooo, no not really..

look, I'm not trying to be a **** or instigate a war of words.. I'm just saying that Richards hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet due to a shitty run of bad luck.  Using a fellow fan's opinion of the situation (one who is pretty removed from our team and its practices and so forth) probably isn't the best reference point to lambaste some one.   The kid needs a chance to prove if he is a bust or not.  That should happen this season.. either way I doubt hes around if he is inadvertently hurt again at some point..

It's true Durant isn't lighting it up or anything, and he doesn't even get to see the field all that often, but he does play on special teams and he does tend to catch balls that are thrown at him. 35 catches, 402 yards and a TD in 15 games throughout 2016. That's measurably more than Richards, the player we picked instead, has been able to do so far (I don't blame him for being injured). Sadly it's also more than Rory Kohlert, our top starting Canadian receiver in 2016 was able to muster (29 catches 239 yards 1 TD). We're talking about our lack of Canadian depth at WR, it's not odd that I would lament the missed opportunity.

I sure hope nobodies nose is out of joint over a bit of mild criticism over the weakest spot on our offense. It's not like I'm burning a bomber flag over here.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

It's true Durant isn't lighting it up or anything, and he doesn't even get to see the field all that often, but he does play on special teams and he does tend to catch balls that are thrown at him. 35 catches, 402 yards and a TD in 15 games throughout 2016. That's measurably more than Richards, the player we picked instead, has been able to do so far (I don't blame him for being injured). Sadly it's also more than Rory Kohlert, our top starting Canadian receiver in 2016 was able to muster (29 catches 239 yards 1 TD). We're talking about our lack of Canadian depth at WR, it's not odd that I would lament the missed opportunity.

I sure hope nobodies nose is out of joint over a bit of mild criticism over the weakest spot on our offense. It's not like I'm burning a bomber flag over here.

Couldn't give a **** what led the Bombers to not draft Durant. It is irrelevant now that we have the benefit of hindsight. Durant would look good in Blue and Gold....better than Richards, at this point and time. Perhaps, hindsight will be more favorable to Richards in a couple years from now.

6 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I don't think the fans here are making up the rumours that were flying around at the draft.  Media people were relaying rumours that must have come from CFL insiders. Did Walters mess up? Seems that way in hind sight but draft picks are not perfect for anyone.  I am not going to say Walters is a dummy because I am basking in an off season that actually seems a bit hopeful. That is a pretty rare thing over the years. 

My personal take is the the Huffer started the rumours to make sure he got the kid. 3D chess baby. 

Rumours are ****. He's a good man.

3 hours ago, SPuDS said:

I knew it!

Only a few people that I know & trust here are aware of why I did the name change & I won't ever divulge it publicly. I also trust that the people I told will respect my reasons & not share why I did so on this forum. Let's just say that I don't post as often here as I used to & that I no longer get involved in the politics of this place anymore. But when people here start disparaging a person that I know (Lemar Durant) without even knowing the guy & my son who played with him has nothing but good things to say about his former teammate then I will speak up to defend Durant. In this situation, I truly don't care what people think of me. Lemar is a very shy & introverted man. He is NOT a headcase.

6 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

FWIW - I did the Google thing.  Read spring 2015 pre-draft articles from Cgy Herald, Cgy Sun, CFL.ca, Sportsnet (via Forde), National Post and a couple post-draft articles, too.

Couldn't find one reference to character issues for Durant. 

Of the reasons I could find that validated his stock dropping were unfamiliarity with the Canadian game and rules, as well as possible NFL interest. 

Apparently, Durant didn't interview well. He was quiet, reserved & a maybe a bit nervous. That may be why he wasn't drafted until Round 2. He's fit in well with the Stamps as they brought him along slowly & made him a situational player. With more experience & confidence I think he'll be starting sooner rather than later.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2/28/2017 at 3:12 PM, IC Khari said:

So Popp and Trestman are together again and running the Argos eh? ;)

Do Popp and Trestman win a Grey Cup in Toronto before Walters and O'Shea do? Should be interesting.

Edited by J5V

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

While Popp has a great resume, one can argue he rode AC and a weak Eastern Division to a lot of his success. Trestman looked brilliant in Montreal, not in Chicago or Baltimore. Let's not assume they're going to win a cup. Lots of issues with that team.

There sure are but if Trestman can coax another too many men penalty out of the Riders, I'm all for seeing him back in the league with the Argos or anyone else. ?

Trestman is very good with QBs. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with Drew Willy. In fact, that thought scares the begeebers out of me. 

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

While Popp has a great resume, one can argue he rode AC and a weak Eastern Division to a lot of his success. Trestman looked brilliant in Montreal, not in Chicago or Baltimore. Let's not assume they're going to win a cup. Lots of issues with that team.

I'd additionally suggest that Popp was ahead of the curve when it came to drafting NCAA futures and was willing to wait a few years on talent to come north.  Eventually all GMs made use of that tactic and Popp's competitive advantage evaporated.

11 hours ago, J5V said:

Trestman is very good with QBs. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with Drew Willy. In fact, that thought scares the begeebers out of me. 

Willy is never gonna be a quick release guy like Calvillo.  Ray is the same way though so maybe he will put in a system taking that into account.  If he tries to replicate what he had in Montreal without Calvillo and their o-line, TO will be in trouble.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You can't argue Trestman rode Calvillo?  He didn't develop a single useful QB.  Based on what Ray and Willu have done lately they are going to have to develop someone fairly soon.

To add, Montreal has a dominant OL when Trestman arrived. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

12 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

This would be inaccurate... Chicago had one of the leagues top offenses in his time there... but the D was brutal and they weren't winning... in Baltimore they also had a good offense under Trestman, but he was let go b/c we wasn't running the systems the team wanted...

translation: he was a good O-coordinator in the NFL... just not a good HC... ultimately he wasn't winning, and that's all that matters in this business...

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You can't argue Trestman rode Calvillo?  He didn't develop a single useful QB.  Based on what Ray and Willu have done lately they are going to have to develop someone fairly soon.

I think Rich Gannon says only good things about Trestman. I just read Trestman was steve Young's QB coach with san fran.

25 minutes ago, bearpants said:

This would be inaccurate... Chicago had one of the leagues top offenses in his time there... but the D was brutal and they weren't winning... in Baltimore they also had a good offense under Trestman, but he was let go b/c we wasn't running the systems the team wanted...

translation: he was a good O-coordinator in the NFL... just not a good HC... ultimately he wasn't winning, and that's all that matters in this business...

And he had Cutler in Chicago. that guy is a coach killer.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Calvillo was considered a guy who choked in big games and on the downside of his career before Trestman came there. I wouldn't be so quick to take credit away from Trestman.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Calvillo was considered a guy who choked in big games and on the downside of his career before Trestman came there. I wouldn't be so quick to take credit away from Trestman.

He still choked in big games with Trestman.  Once the Riders choked more.

Trestman won't get a QB with that level of talent and experience.  Ray's arm is shot.  He'll have to develop someone and he has no track record of doing that in the Canadian game.  In fact he's happy to tell everyone that he's not about developing QB's because the starter gets all the reps and attention.

I think the Argos and Riders will be scrapping over Reilly next off-season and whoever doesn't get him will be absolutely screwed for a couple years at least.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules