Around The League Off Season Discussion

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He still choked in big games with Trestman.  Once the Riders choked more.

Trestman won't get a QB with that level of talent and experience.  Ray's arm is shot.  He'll have to develop someone and he has no track record of doing that in the Canadian game.  In fact he's happy to tell everyone that he's not about developing QB's because the starter gets all the reps and attention.

Absolutely take it for what it's worth, but there was all sorts of buzz last week that the Argos are talking to the TiCats about Manziel's rights and people seem to think that Manziel fits perfectly into Trestman's system, whatever that is. We'll see how things look in June. I personally believe that Ricky Ray is a FAR better QB than Calvillo ever was, but you're absolutely right that he's likely injured beyond repair at this point, and who knows is Willy's PTSD is permanent or not...

16 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Richards was a bad pick. Why can't people just admit that? We come off like Rider fans when we defend obvious bad moves.

because there is no justifiable reason to say hes a bad pick yet.  what if next season he becomes the next Claremont? 

the better question is why can't fans wait a bit before passing judgement or consider all factors beyond "omgz hes teh suck cuz he not star yet!"

patience is really something sorely lacking around here at times.  I don't get it, you would think we would all have infinite amounts of it by now.

Just now, Noeller said:

I was thinking.....we lost Tuck to FA, didn't we? And this guy seems like almost a direct replacement for Tuck...

yea good call.  I didn't realize we lost tuck until the other day.. this is like for like minimum but I think its more likely an improvement.  Not that Tuck was bad.. just that Miller is quite good.

16 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Richards was a bad pick. Why can't people just admit that? We come off like Rider fans when we defend obvious bad moves.

Richards might be a bad pick, but that really depends on what he does this year. It is premature to write him off until such time as he actually plays. A little patience would go a long way for a lot of Bomber fans. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

Richards might be a bad pick, but that really depends on what he does this year. It is premature to write him off until such time as he actually plays. A little patience would go a long way for a lot of Bomber fans. 

exactly.  I don't get this need to have everything in such a black and white context.   there is no need for definitive states all the damn time about players lol.   he may pan out, he may not.. he at least deserves a chance to prove himself one way or another.. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and showcase why we took a chance on him this year.  

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

FB named Miller is a special teams assassin... hmmm wonder who pushed for that signing....

FB named Miller who was drafted as a linebacker and transitioned to the offence to have an extended career as a special teams assassin.

Twinsies.

13 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Miller is a good p/u, not sure why he was even still available.

Just going by what has he done, Richards was/is a bad pick, until he proves otherwise.

He was just released by the Esks this week, if I remember correctly.

20 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

because there is no justifiable reason to say hes a bad pick yet.  what if next season he becomes the next Claremont? 

the better question is why can't fans wait a bit before passing judgement or consider all factors beyond "omgz hes teh suck cuz he not star yet!"

patience is really something sorely lacking around here at times.  I don't get it, you would think we would all have infinite amounts of it by now.

There's lots of justification to say he's a bad pick. There were at least 2 much better players who were ranked higher available when we picked him. He's only caught 1 ball in two years. There is no justifiable reason to say that he's a great, good or average pick yet.  That leaves bad IMO.

Suggesting that he may become good in the future doesn't change the fact that he's done squat in two full years and he's way more likely to be the next Etienne than the next Claremont. In fact, Jade had better stats in his first 2 years then got cut in TC in his 3rd year.

Absolutely no one is complaining that Richards is not a star yet. They are complaining that he hasn't moved past 3rd string NI receiver in two years. Some folks think it's because he hasn't been given a chance, but there aren't any participation ribbons in the pros...   You have to earn your playing time. If he wasn't one of our high draft picks he'd already be gone. How much patience are you expecting?

I don't see anyone suggesting we cut him before TC. I see lots of suggestions that it's his make or break year and that we bring in competition for him. Sounds reasonable considering his output so far.

I was going to write a measured response with links to statistics on reputable sites, but realized I would be wasting my time. Anything remotely critical I say will be interpreted as  "omgz hes teh suck cuz he not star yet!" or some such nonsense.

Detractors need to learn patience? A pro ball players average career is 3.3 years. Tell me precisely how long I have to wait before I'm allowed to have an opinion.

What if he turns ino the next Clermont? Why stop there?!? What about the next Fantuz!?! More likely he's the next Mike DiCroce or Liam Mahoney. At this point, I'd settle for the next Jade Etienne or Jabari Arthur; at least he will have seen the field and caught some passes.

I shouldn't have to add "I'm a Bomber fan and I'm hoping for the best" but I guess I have to if I don't want to get roasted or labelled a negatron. God forbid anyone call a spade a ******* shovel around here.

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I was going to write a measured response with links to statistics on reputable sites, but realized I would be wasting my time. Anything remotely critical I say will be interpreted as  "omgz hes teh suck cuz he not star yet!" or some such nonsense.

Detractors need to learn patience? A pro ball players average career is 3.3 years. Tell me precisely how long I have to wait before I'm allowed to have an opinion.

What if he turns ino the next Clermont? Why stop there?!? What about the next Fantuz!?! More likely he's the next Mike DiCroce or Liam Mahoney. At this point, I'd settle for the next Jade Etienne or Jabari Arthur; at least he will have seen the field and caught some passes.

I shouldn't have to add "I'm a Bomber fan and I'm hoping for the best" but I guess I have to if I don't want to get roasted or labelled a negatron. God forbid anyone call a spade a ******* shovel around here.

calm down negatron

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

There's lots of justification to say he's a bad pick. There were at least 2 much better players who were ranked higher available when we picked him. He's only caught 1 ball in two years. There is no justifiable reason to say that he's a great, good or average pick yet.  That leaves bad IMO.

Suggesting that he may become good in the future doesn't change the fact that he's done squat in two full years and he's way more likely to be the next Etienne than the next Claremont. In fact, Jade had better stats in his first 2 years then got cut in TC in his 3rd year.

Absolutely no one is complaining that Richards is not a star yet. They are complaining that he hasn't moved past 3rd string NI receiver in two years. Some folks think it's because he hasn't been given a chance, but there aren't any participation ribbons in the pros...   You have to earn your playing time. If he wasn't one of our high draft picks he'd already be gone. How much patience are you expecting?

I don't see anyone suggesting we cut him before TC. I see lots of suggestions that it's his make or break year and that we bring in competition for him. Sounds reasonable considering his output so far.

You sound like a sour grapes kind of guy

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Absolutely take it for what it's worth, but there was all sorts of buzz last week that the Argos are talking to the TiCats about Manziel's rights and people seem to think that Manziel fits perfectly into Trestman's system, whatever that is. We'll see how things look in June. I personally believe that Ricky Ray is a FAR better QB than Calvillo ever was, but you're absolutely right that he's likely injured beyond repair at this point, and who knows is Willy's PTSD is permanent or not...

Manziel has put himself years behind in actual development with his antics and leaving school early.  I can't see him being a reasonable option for any pro football team playing outside of an arena for a couple years at least.  It's all media hype.  Plus he's pretty much the ultimate scrambling QB which literally hasn't worked in pro football for 20 years.  If you can't throw from the pocket you are in big trouble regardless of how fast or evasive you are against modern defences.

Lawless - hearing @sskroughriders has interest in DT Eddie Steele and cap space. @BCLions, @Wpg_BlueBombers like him too but cap an issue #cfl @cfl.
?‍?Well, if they have that much cap space, why are they asking 2 veteran O-Linemen (LaBatte and Clark) to take a pay cut? 
?‍?AND, how come Steele hasn't signed with the Riders yet? Or Miles?
Per #CFL sources: Sask tried to force the hand of two starting Canadian OL - Dan Clark and Brendon LaBatte - to take paycuts this off-season

TSN - .@MTLAlouettes' WR Green confident returning from injury. MORE: tsn.ca/1.683832

Darrin Bauming - @Darren_Cameron I think fans would love Glen Young. (Linebackers Coach)

Lawless - U of M product LB Thomas Miles released by @TorontoArgos. Was due a roster bonus @cfl #cfl
https://twitter.com/garylawless/status/836935982620504065.   Steele

Drew Edwards - Interesting tidbit in this story: #Argos season tickets at around 3,500, half of what it was last year. BMO move, Grey Cup did nothing. #CFL
CFL News
Marc Trestman: "I happen to love the (#CFL) game. It was brilliantly created." #Argos via @hustlerlawless via @TSN1290Radio

Rod Pedersen - Just spitballing here ... but what about a Drew Willy-to-Saskatchewan trade scenario? In perhaps record time, Drew Willy was relegated to the bench on February 28 by new Argos Head Coach Marc Trestman. Does Drew still have starting QB qualities? The Roughriders, Blue Bombers and former Argo GM Jim Barker all thought so at one time. Do you? Would Chris Jones? Perhaps it's a road to examine.
-4 - Meanwhile ... in Austin, TX ... Vince Young is telling people he will be quarterbacking the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2017. That's what my football sources in Texas - close to Vince Young - told me this week. This story is real....

CFL's @paulosenra says Combine events are already sold out for #CFLWeek. FanFest events all week at @evrazplacelive are free & lotsa room
CFL News
I know what Marc Trestman did to help Calvillo. We just have to build a system to keep Ray from getting hit so much - Jim Popp #CFL #Argos
Blue Bomber Talk - The #CFL has had seven different champions over the past seven seasons. If that's not parity, I don't know what is.

?‍?Solid special teams signing for the Big Blue. Know what  and who to look for, then swoop in and grab him....- #Bombers add the CFL's top special teams tackler in fullback @MillerWm17. A six-year CFL veteran (104 GP), he has 116 career ST tackles

?‍?This year's winner for taking undeserved flak.....Addison Richards.

?‍?Almost Bomber-related...the best curling in the world starts this weekend (the Brier) for all you curling fans. (OK, it may be just me and Noeller)...

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

You guys make it out like he was a bum when we drafted him. In his draft year led all CIS in yards and was first team all Canadian.

No, simply that the pick was apparently out of the blue when you consider who was available.

Who here remembers being in MBB chat leading up to the Richards pick? When CGY took Lavoie we were all celebrating that we were going to get one of either Waud or Durant. Imagine our luck! I don't recall a lot of applause following the Richards pick. In fact, it was quite a WTF moment for many of us.

4 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

No, simply that the pick was apparently out of the blue when you consider who was available.

Who here remembers being in MBB chat leading up to the Richards pick? When CGY took Lavoie we were all celebrating that we were going to get one of either Waud or Durant. Imagine our luck! I don't recall a lot of applause following the Richards pick. In fact, it was quite a WTF moment for many of us.

I remember being shocked. I was certain that Walters was going to pick Durant.  Very disappointed when he didn't.