Around The League Off Season Discussion

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

And yet another chapter in the bio of Kevin "No Respect" Glenn. 

Signs a place where he'd be the undisputed starter, team goes out and gets high-profile NFL retread.

I think Glenn got like 80K upfront, so if he ends up not in the plans it's still costing the riders so win win

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

the need to extend franklin just jumped a few notches in edmonton

That's going to be a challenge but I agree.

How do you afford to extend him to a contract that he could likely get on the open market?

If he gets significant time on the field this year (and performs), he'll need near-starter money.

Edmonton will have some tough decisions to make.

Just now, JCon said:

That's going to be a challenge but I agree.

How do you afford to extend him to a contract that he could likely get on the open market?

If he gets significant time on the field this year (and performs), he'll need near-starter money.

Edmonton will have some tough decisions to make.

I think Reilly's health will play a big part in it.  But some tough choices will need to be made at some point.  If I had to gamble on Reilly (32) or Franklin (26) thinking about the future,  I might actually choose Franklin, and try to trade Reilly for some assets, or get him to restructure and take on a back up role (doubtful he will tho)

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I think Reilly's health will play a big part in it.  But some tough choices will need to be made at some point.  If I had to gamble on Reilly (32) or Franklin (26) thinking about the future,  I might actually choose Franklin, and try to trade Reilly for some assets, or get him to restructure and take on a back up role (doubtful he will tho)

I'm inclined to agree about Franklin vs Reilly.

I doubt Reilly would restructure and I bet several teams (named Riders or Argos) would be happy to take him.

I would hate to let Reilly go and have him beat you up for several years.

But, a plethora of riches would be nice.

45 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

you are worried about 32 in the cfl? how many great seasons have we seen from guys pushing near 40 in the cfl? Franklin is in no way proven enough to risk a season on. you dump franklin and miss a beat and its game over. IF edm was fallen apart or had lost a ton of pieces (like ott) and were looking at rebuilding / retooling then maybe you take that gamble. Hoping to expedite the process of rebuilding. but that isnt the position edm is in. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

you are worried about 32 in the cfl? how many great seasons have we seen from guys pushing near 40 in the cfl? Franklin is in no way proven enough to risk a season on. you dump franklin and miss a beat and its game over. IF edm was fallen apart or had lost a ton of pieces (like ott) and were looking at rebuilding / retooling then maybe you take that gamble. Hoping to expedite the process of rebuilding. but that isnt the position edm is in. 

Reilly is a good QB but he's no AC or Ray or Burris playing well into his twilight.  His style of play will likely put him in DD category who is on the downward swing of his career at 34. If I was thinking long term, I would go with Franklin over Reilly, but ultimately I would be trying to make something work with both first

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So Vince Young has not taken a regular season snap since 2011, a preseason snap since 2013 and will be 34 at the start of the season. What could go wrong?

For Bomber fans? The experiment ends in spring training and we don't get to experience Vinc-anity up close. 

29 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Reilly is a good QB but he's no AC or Ray or Burris playing well into his twilight.  His style of play will likely put him in DD category who is on the downward swing of his career at 34. If I was thinking long term, I would go with Franklin over Reilly, but ultimately I would be trying to make something work with both first

I could see the Esks. keeping Franklin and trading Reilly at the end of the season for a boatload of assets.  The Argos or the Riders might be desperate enough at that point to provide the Esks. with a number of top draft picks and established players.

42 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Reilly has been hit a lot and hurt a lot. The way he currently plays the game means he gets hit a lot more than someone like Calvillo or Burris. 

I don't think anyone is saying Reilly is not a great QB (some may be suggesting that) but that the way he plays, he's at greater risk of having a career shortening injury. 

Maybe he changes his style and protects himself more.