Around The League Off Season Discussion

15 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

the need to extend franklin just jumped a few notches in edmonton

Rarely does a 3rd string QB retiring make news... but Lynch played an important role on that team including short yardage and special teams...

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

you are worried about 32 in the cfl? how many great seasons have we seen from guys pushing near 40 in the cfl? Franklin is in no way proven enough to risk a season on. you dump franklin and miss a beat and its game over. IF edm was fallen apart or had lost a ton of pieces (like ott) and were looking at rebuilding / retooling then maybe you take that gamble. Hoping to expedite the process of rebuilding. but that isnt the position edm is in. 

Honestly, the best thing that can happen to the Esks this year is Reilly getting hurt and missing a few games... if Franklin can get a true 3 or 4 game audition, the team will have a much better idea of what they have going forward... 

17 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Reilly is a good QB but he's no AC or Ray or Burris playing well into his twilight.  His style of play will likely put him in DD category who is on the downward swing of his career at 34. If I was thinking long term, I would go with Franklin over Reilly, but ultimately I would be trying to make something work with both first

ac, burris and damon allen got hit tons and tons being mobile qbs for many years before settling down. Ray was as pocket as pocket can be and got hit while throwing a lot too. 

16 hours ago, JCon said:

Reilly has been hit a lot and hurt a lot. The way he currently plays the game means he gets hit a lot more than someone like Calvillo or Burris. 

I don't think anyone is saying Reilly is not a great QB (some may be suggesting that) but that the way he plays, he's at greater risk of having a career shortening injury. 

Maybe he changes his style and protects himself more.

except those guys got hit a ton to his age range too. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

I don't think VY even knows there is a different currency up here...

There will be a huge cultural shock coming to Canada- like the fact that darned few of us carry guns and he doesn't have to go into cardiac arrest whenever he sees a cop. Mr, Young can go to the third ring of the three-ring circus being assembled in Regina. And wait until he gets off the plane and feezes his butt walking over to a cab. His stay ought to be the same length of time as a pork chop in a kennel.

16 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

His own agent says Vince Young is nowhere near "football shape."  What a joke.  How much are they giving him upfront?

probably very close to the shape of a football right now. On that jamarcus russell diet. I imagine a lot, like a lot a lot. I cant see him and glenn being even close to as low as just what durant made. 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

Rarely does a 3rd string QB retiring make news... but Lynch played an important role on that team including short yardage and special teams...

Honestly, the best thing that can happen to the Esks this year is Reilly getting hurt and missing a few games... if Franklin can get a true 3 or 4 game audition, the team will have a much better idea of what they have going forward... 

You can find a mobile back up to fill that role though. 

If that happened and reilly lived up to the hype that would be the best case scenario. But if he doesnt thats pretty much worst case ontario for them. If he performs too well he either bolts to the nfl or gets crazy money and the starting job on a team in next years FA. 

In general im not on the wagon with upstart QBs as starters/elite tier until they maintain it. Far too many flash in the pan guys who cant stay healthy or cant maintain the level of performance. 

33 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If that happened and reilly lived up to the hype that would be the best case scenario. But if he doesnt thats pretty much worst case ontario for them. If he performs too well he either bolts to the nfl or gets crazy money and the starting job on a team in next years FA. 

That's a good point too... if he really stinks the bed that kills his trade value... but at least they know Reilly is the man going forward...

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Couple beat reporters trying to speculate that Young is getting a reasonable deal, but consider he's got a six figure job paying USD at U of T.  He's gotta be getting close to that upfront just to show up.

In relation to on-field uncertainties for me with Vince Young:

How mobile is he?

What's his arm strength for the CFL field?

How quickly will he be able to adapt to the Canadian game?

What kind of leader/team player is he? 

What kind of protection at minimal will he need to play to his strengths?  

Will he be in game shape come training camp?

When is the last time he has played at professional game speed?

I'm sure there are more specific uncertainties/unknowns that real football people are thinking other than coming from an arm chair QBing person like me.  

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

That's a good point too... if he really stinks the bed that kills his trade value... but at least they know Reilly is the man going forward...

yeah i mean i cant cry too much for them (aside from being in the west) they have an elite level qb at the right age. He isnt gonna jump to the nfl at 32+, hes not soo old hes year to year, etc. 

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

In relation to on-field uncertainties for me with Vince Young:

How mobile is he?

What's his arm strength for the CFL field?

How quickly will he be able to adapt to the Canadian game?

What kind of leader/team player is he? 

What kind of protection at minimal will he need to play to his strengths?  

Will he be in game shape come training camp?

When is the last time he has played at professional game speed?

I'm sure there are more specific uncertainties/unknowns that real football people are thinking other than coming from an arm chair QBing person like me.  

In shape his mobility is maybe the highest in the cfl among qbs. The trend today is more towards guys who can extend the play and run if they really need to, not to guys who are real double threats. He is a double threat level athlete no question. If he is / can get into shape.

His arm was solid, but inconsistent.  And his passing mechanics / release point are junk. And release is slow as a result. With the wide field, and his mechanics if he has to throw on the run he will need to move the ball down field. If he scrambles and tries to throw wide side outs its gonna be pick 6 city. That is the hardest pass to make in the cfl, especially if you have to throw across your body. 

He struggled to adapt to coverage and scheme from college to the nfl. He flashed and sizzled in a game he played since he was a child. I cant imagine that is going to improve in a drastically different version of football. 

Cant say, locker room dynamics are often speculated on but can often be very wrong. Only his team mates and coaches know. 

Short of a run first qb (early michael vick) you allways need strong protection. If the pocket crumbles up the middle its very very tough to make any kind of play. With his mechanics he will need the ol to limit pressure to being off one edge at most. He doesnt get rid of the ball quick, and  you dont want him throwing on the roll out a lot, but atleast he can pick up yards on the ground in that situation.

If he isnt, they can push him into shape and teach him the game. Its not as bad on qbs physically in camp as other none kicker positions. Teaching him the difference and getting him to mentally adapt early will be a much bigger hurdle then getting his cardio up to snuff.

Think it was like 5 years? Only one off the top of my head to do some thing like that was kerry joseph who was i think retired and played saftey and teams prior to the Renegades bringing him up as a qb. 

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Just listened to a radio interview with Derek Taylor. He thinks the Riders will be 1st or 2nd in the West this season. That's a bold prediction.

Derek Taylor is an idiot....or he is just looking for some clicks by making an outrageous statement. Either way it compromises the integrity of the prediction.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Just listened to a radio interview with Derek Taylor. He thinks the Riders will be 1st or 2nd in the West this season. That's a bold prediction.

I think he's assuming for that to happen that 3 or 4 Western teams fold before the start of the season.  I could see it happening then.