Around The League Off Season Discussion

9 minutes ago, tracker said:

I thought is was for the Febreeze to clear the smell out of the Rider stadium after home games.

That’s a pretty common mistake. But the stank in that building can’t be removed or even covered up. That’s the main reason a new stadium was built in the first place. The experts agree that sometime around mid-July the stank will officially be embedded in the toilet bowl as well. At which point, the farmers will restart their fundraising for another new stadium. Projected to be completed after the team wins its 8th grey cup. Approximately year 2113.

Stuff - Young and old...

Drew Edwards - For the second straight year, the Ticats are halfway through their off-season and do not have a single kicker on the roster.
Derek Taylor -
So @brett_maher had the 7th-best FG season since 2008 and the Ticats are going to open tryouts instead of bringing him back? #Details #CFLCFL
CFL
IMG_0258.jpg

Wpg. Blue Bombers 
A few number changes taking effect this season:
Darvin Adams will wear #1
@FoggWith2Gz #3
@TFlanders405 #20
@TjHeath34 #23

3Down Nation
Suspended three times by #NFL for weed, Frank Alexander signs with #BCLions #CFL wp.me/p65Ld4-5lQ
......?‍?At least he thinks he did.

Darryl Davis - Don't understand #Riders signing QB Vince Young. Couldn't they just find a #CFL QB at free-agent tryouts in Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver?
?‍?Gotta love it!

Missing everything about football #IsItJuneYet - Jermarcus Hardrick.

Riders - Quarterbacks...
Recruits - Jacob Huesman, BJ Coleman, Vad Lee, and Phillip Sims,
QBs that came from other teams -
Bryant Moniz and GJ Kinne. Mitch Gale came from a trade with Toronto. 
Brandon Bridge, salvaged after Montreal cut him 
Waters came in a trade from Hamilton.
former Bomber QB Bryan Bennett. 
Kevin Glenn Free Agent 
Vince Young, very Free Agent - the Rider Prophet

Jordan Herdman, the Simon Fraser University linebacker said Monday he didn’t have his best workout at his pro day Friday. He originally didn’t plan on participating in the CFL combine March 23-25 in Regina but told The Canadian team Press later Monday night he”d changed his mind.
“I am not satisfied with the numbers at my pro day,” said Herdman. “I want an opportunity to show that I can test well and improve my testing numbers.”
Herdman, his twin brother Justin, also a linebacker, and running back Ante Milanovic-Litre worked out for scouts from the Atlanta Falcons and Arizona Cardinals as well as four CFL clubs Friday in North Vancouver, B.C. - 3 downnation staff

?‍?So, the question is..... who were the 4 CFL clubs?

CFL News 

.@kerryjoseph4 is confident that @VinceYoung10 can make the adjustment to three-down football. - @robvanstone #CFL #Riders

Ted Goveia - We have announced a return to California---we have always found talent  in this state#Get of the couch--#Bombers Tryouts

CFL News - Top LB prospect Christophe Mulumba won’t attend CFL combine....due to a scheduling conflict with his NFL pro day. Justin Dunk http://3downnation.com/2017/03/14/top-lb-prospect-christophe-mulumba-wont-attend-cfl-combine/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JustinDunk3downnation+(3DownNation-Justin+Dunk+)

- CFL...More News...RT .@danralphcp
Am told now 8 NFL teams want to interview Laval TE Antony Auclair. That figure was at 5 after his pro day Monday. #CFL

51 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Is Brandon any good, and what chance does he have of making a team as a quarterback?

while his sample size is really small,  IMHO he has the most upside out of the younger guys on their team. He has looked half decent in the limited action he's seen last couple years. But unless they cut Glenn or Young doesn't make the team,  I think he's buried on their depth chart for some old guys

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Stuff - Young and old...

Drew Edwards - For the second straight year, the Ticats are halfway through their off-season and do not have a single kicker on the roster.
Derek Taylor -
So @brett_maher had the 7th-best FG season since 2008 and the Ticats are going to open tryouts instead of bringing him back? #Details #CFLCFL
CFL
IMG_0258.jpg

While I enjoy Taylor's attempts to bring greater statistical analysis to the CFL, it might be time to point out to him that "Points Above Expected" isn't a real stat, and Maher's 82% FG accuracy made him the 6th best kicker in a 9 team league last season.

8th best if you want to include McCallum and Early.

5 minutes ago, mbrg said:

While I enjoy Taylor's attempts to bring greater statistical analysis to the CFL, it might be time to point out to him that "Points Above Expected" isn't a real stat, and Maher's 82% FG accuracy made him the 6th best kicker in a 9 team league last season.

War in baseball is not a real stat but its a very good measure of the impact a player has. Its same idea with Points above expected.

8 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Why would you not consider it a real stat?

82% tells you how many field goals they made vs attempts.  My understanding of points above expected is it takes into account the distance (or difficulty) of the field goals attempted and made.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Why would you not consider it a real stat?

82% tells you how many field goals they made vs attempts.  My understanding of points above expected is it takes into account the distance (or difficulty) of the field goals attempted and made.

Does Maher having the "7th best FG kicking season" in the last decade pass the sniff test for you?

It's a real stat in the sense that numbers are used to create other numbers.  Going deeper in analysis doesn't always give a clearer picture; sometimes it distracts from what matters most.

He had success making long field goals last season.  He also had a 67.6% conversion rate in Ottawa for a CFL career percentage of 75.8.

I don't share Taylor's surprise that Hamilton might not view Maher as their forever kicker.

1 minute ago, mbrg said:

Does Maher having the "7th best FG kicking season" in the last decade pass the sniff test for you?

It's a real stat in the sense that numbers are used to create other numbers.  Going deeper in analysis doesn't always give a clearer picture; sometimes it distracts from what matters most.

He had success making long field goals last season.  He also had a 67.6% conversion rate in Ottawa for a CFL career percentage of 75.8.

I don't share Taylor's surprise that Hamilton might not view Maher as their forever kicker.

No single stat should be used as a single source to make a decision or paint a picture, but I do find the advanced analytics interesting.

As to the sniff test ... I wasn't questioning your dissatisfaction with his tweet, I simply asked why you would consider Points Above Expected to not be a real stat.

Plus Maher is a brutal kickoff and punt guy in terms of placement.  Cost them a ton of yards in penalties.  A metric of WAR for kickers factoring in all aspects (FG, Punt, Kickoff) would be more relevant.  Not many teams are going to consistently roster an American to just kick FGs.

That stat Taylor is talking about rewards consistency but also can be skewed by kick distance.  For instance, Paredes is only on there once and he's extremely consistent, but doesn't kick as many from distance because he doesn't have to.

51 minutes ago, Rich said:

As to the sniff test ... I wasn't questioning your dissatisfaction with his tweet, I simply asked why you would consider Points Above Expected to not be a real stat.

There were more accurate ways to word it.  Taylor is stretching the application of this information beyond what is useful for, and then portraying that number to represent an objective fact about Maher's quality as a kicker.  At most what he should draw from it is that Maher's 82% doesn't fully encapsulate his upside as a kicker.