Around The League Off Season Discussion

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Mostly his pretty solid track record...as an HC, it's another story....his attitude wears thin. But as a position coach only, he'll be more than solid.

Meh. His D in Hamilton was nothing special, and Sask's D was historically bad after he took it over from Hall.

Edited by sweep the leg

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

considering how late they put that staff together and the restrictions on getting coaches off other staffs that's a better group than I expected. 

On one hand I was sure that Copeland had damned us to another year of purgatory by waiting so long to pull the trigger. But on the other I had hoped that Trestman's name would be enough to make some quality personnel believe in the project.

So far it looks not so bad. Popp's turn to come good now.

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

On one hand I was sure that Copeland had damned us to another year of purgatory by waiting so long to pull the trigger. But on the other I had hoped that Trestman's name would be enough to make some quality personnel believe in the project.

So far it looks not so bad. Popp's turn to come good now.

Hey Bluto! How are things!?

Good article by Ted Wyman, Wpg. Sun

The Blue Bombers talked all season long in 2016 about how closely knit they were as a team. Receiver Weston Dressler took it a step further, suggesting it was one of the tightest groups he’s ever been associated with in 15 years of college and pro football.
“I’ve had that on teams before, but there’s plenty of teams where you don’t have that,” Dressler said. “It just makes it a little more special.
“I feel like when you have that connection and you build those friendships, there’s something about really liking the guy you are playing with and the guy next to you and the guys across from you that makes it special. You want to win for them.
“I get just as excited about watching Darvin (Adams) or (Ryan Smith) or (Clarence) Denmark making a touchdown catch as making one myself.”
On Matt Nichols:
Blue Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols has been watching three or four hours of film before he goes to bed each night, meticulously studying his own game and those of his peers.

“I looked at the three teams that were the best at second and long, which is a very difficult down in our league,” Nichols said. “I’ve been watching Bo Levi Mitchell, Mike Reilly, Henry Burris and Trevor Harris in Ottawa. Seeing what concepts those teams are running and also just how those quarterbacks play. We do a lot of similar things when I watch them but there’s a few things here and there where I feel I can get better and try and evolve my game a little. You’ve always got to try and do something better than you did before.”

One thing Nichols wants to do more of in 2017 is use his legs to get first downs.

“Running a little bit more has been part of my game in the past and I’ve kind of gotten away from that,” he said. “It’s something I think I can evolve into my game a little bit and get a couple of first downs with my feet.”
Dressler says Nichols has always impressed his teammates with his work ethic.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/03/22/willy-clear-no-2-blue-a-special-group-dressler?token=1d7d0e7ec2b9e6ef74f6b643aafc85ed

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

One thing Nichols wants to do more of in 2017 is use his legs to get first downs.

“Running a little bit more has been part of my game in the past and I’ve kind of gotten away from that,” he said. “It’s something I think I can evolve into my game a little bit and get a couple of first downs with my feet.”

NNNNnnnoooooOOOOOO!!!!!!!

mi-buck-pierce-hurt.jpg

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/16/ratio-round-riders-bombers-argos/

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Bombers’ Canadian depth has improved by leaps and bounds in recent years, stabilizing early last season with the emergence of Taylor Loffler at safety.

2016 Ratio Structure

Position Starter Primary Back-Up
Running Back Andrew Harris Pascal Lochard
Wide Receiver Rory Kohlert Julian Feoli-Gudino
Centre Matthias Goossen Michael Couture
Right Guard Sukh Chungh Patrick Neufeld
Defensive Tackle Keith Shologan Jake Thomas
Defensive End Jamaal Westerman Trent Corney
Safety Taylor Loffler Teague Sherman

Winnipeg will look to continue starting their seven nationals in the same positions in 2017, albeit with a slight change in personnel.

2017 Ratio Projection

Position Starter Prospective Back-Up(s)
Running Back Andrew Harris Christophe Normand
Wide Receiver Julian Feoli-Gudino Addison Richards, Matt Coates
Centre Matthias Goossen Michael Couture
Right Guard Sukh Chungh Patrick Neufeld, Zachary Intzandt
Defensive Tackle Jake Thomas Brandon Tennant, Rupert Butcher
Defensive End Jamaal Westerman Trent Corney
Safety Taylor Loffler Derek Jones, Brendan Morgan, Garrett Waggoner, Justin Warden

Winnipeg has the talent to start three national offensive linemen, but taking Stanley Bryant, Travis Bond or Jermarcus Hardrick off the field would be tough after the trio had such a strong 2016 campaign. The one thing that could trigger a change along the offensive line would be a long-term injury to Andrew Harris, who, heading into his second year with the Bombers, is without an established national back-up. If Harris misses time, expect veteran Patrick Neufeld to take over from Hardrick at right tackle to maintain the club’s ratio.

The biggest weakness in the Bombers’ Canadian content remains at receiver. Rory Kohlert was allowed to depart in free agency, opening the door for Julian Feoli-Gudino to become a full-time starter in 2017. This season will also be a make-or-break year for 2015 second round pick Addison Richards who has recorded just one reception in seventeen career games. Matt Coates, signed away from Hamilton in February, will have a chance to compete for the starting spot as well.

Winnipeg holds the first and sixth overall picks in May 7’s CFL draft, meaning their national depth will receive another boost prior to the regular season. Look for the Bombers to address the offensive line and defensive tackle positions with those picks, further enhancing their depth for the season ahead.

Toronto Argonauts

The Argos’ roster may have been a mess last season, but the club’s Canadian content is nothing to shake a stick at.

2016 Ratio Structure

Slotback Anthony Coombs Andre Durie
Left Guard Tyler Holmes Wayne Smith
Centre Sean McEwen Wayne Smith
Right Guard Corey Watman D.J. Sackey
Right Tackle Chris Van Zeyl D.J. Sackey
Weak-Side Linebacker Cory Greenwood Thomas Miles
Safety Matt Black Jermaine Gabriel

Holmes and Van Zeyl are excellent Canadian hogs, while McEwen is an all-star in the making. The depth behind them is solid as well, with 2016 second and third round picks D.J. Sackey and Jamal Campbell waiting in the wings. Black and Gabriel are a formidable duo at safety, while Coombs, Brian Jones, and Llevi Noel (more on this group in a second) is a solid trio of young Canadian pass catchers.

The Argos will no longer be starting a Canadian in their linebacking corps following the departure of Cory Greenwood in free agency and the release of Thomas Miles. Instead, the club will likely turn to the receiving corps to meet the league’s minimum of seven Canadian starters in 2017.

2017 Ratio Projection

Wide Receiver Llevi Noel Malcolm Williams
Slotback Brian Jones Anthony Coombs, Ryan Nieuwesteeg
Left Guard Tyler Holmes D.J. Sackey, Chris Kolankowski
Centre Sean McEwen Corey Watman, Wayne Smith
Right Guard Peter Dyakowski J’Michael Deane
Right Tackle Chris Van Zeyl Jamal Campbell
Safety Jermaine Gabriel Matt Black, Matt Webster

The concern with starting two national receivers is Toronto’s lack of depth. Expect defensive tackle Daryl Waud or defensive end Ricky Foley to start in the event that the Argos lose a Canadian pass catcher to injury.

The Argonauts are without a first round draft pick this year, a major disadvantage for general manager Jim Popp as he works to rebuild his club’s roster. Toronto already has a large percentage of its cap dedicated to Canadian offensive linemen, but it’s not impossible to imagine Popp bringing in Jeff Perrett or Josh Bourke — both of whom are free agents who once played under Marc Trestman in Montreal — to start at left tackle. This would allow the Argos to start five Canadian offensive linemen, alleviating the pressure on its Canadian content elsewhere on the roster.

Saskatchewan Roughriders

The Riders featured a revolving door of national starters last year, a key factor in a disappointing 5-13 season. Five different Canadian players started at safety (Kevin Francis, Jeff Hecht, Matt Webster, Shane Herbert, and Andrew Lue), four started along the defensive line (Justin Capicciotti, Ese Mrabure-Ajufo, Gregory Alexandre, Makana Henry), and five started along the offensive line (Brendon LaBatte, Dan Clark, Josiah St. John, Andrew Jones, and Matt Vonk).

2016 Ratio Structure

Wide Receiver Nic Demski Shamawd Chambers
Slotback Rob Bagg Shamawd Chambers
Left Guard Brendon LaBatte Josiah St. John
Centre Dan Clark Andrew Jones
Defensive Tackle Ese Mrabure-Ajufo Gregory Alexandre
Defensive End Justin Capicciotti Ivan Brown
Safety Kevin Francis Jeff Hecht

Saskatchewan has since made a number of changes to its Canadian content and appears to be much better-prepared for the ratio in 2017.

2017 Ratio Projection

Running Back Kienan LaFrance Greg Morris, Aaron Milton
Slotback Rob Bagg Nic Demski, Joshua Stanford, Mitchell Baines
Left Guard Brendon LaBatte Josiah St. John, Ryan White
Centre Dan Clark Dillon Guy, Matt Vonk
Defensive Tackle Eddie Steele Linden Gaydosh, Makana Henry
Linebacker Henoc Muamba Dillon Grondin, Marvin Golding
Safety Marc-Olivier Broulliette Graig Newman, Tevaughn Campbell, Kevin Francis, Kelvin Muamba, Jeff Hecht

Free agent signees Kienan LaFrance and Aaron Milton have joined Greg Morris to turn the Riders’ running back position into a national one. This will allow Saskatchewan to start just one Canadian receiver this season, freeing up a starting spot for an excellent stable of American pass catchers that includes Naaman Roosevelt, Duron Carter, Caleb Holley, Bakari Grant, Ricky Collins Jr., and Chad Owens.

Bringing Marc-Olivier Broulliette over from Montreal stabilizes the safety position, while the signing of Eddie Steele gives the green and white a legitimate starting Canadian nose tackle. Henoc Muamba, added late last season, should become the club’s third national starter on defence. This means that Saskatchewan will only have to start two Canadian offensive linemen in 2017, maximizing their protection for aging starting pivot Kevin Glenn (if, of course, Glenn turns out to be the starter). The Riders have some good prospects along the offensive line including Vonk, St. John, and Guy, but there’s no sense in throwing them into starting roles earlier than necessary.

The flaw with Saskatchewan’s Canadian content is depth, a short-coming that will take years to remedy. LaFrance and Morris are unproven as starters, while Muamba and Broulliette — both of whom have a history of concussions — are without proven back-ups.

A good draft (the Riders hold the second and eleventh selections this year) and some good luck with injuries will go a long way to determining the Riders’ success in 2017.

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/15/ratio-round-west-division/

B.C. Lions

The Lions were very consistent in their approach to the ratio last season, starting national players in the same seven positions in all eighteen regular season games.

2016 Ratio Structure

Wide Receiver Shawn Gore Stephen Adekolu
Wide Receiver Marco Iannuzzi Stephen Adekolu
Left Guard Hunter Steward Tim O’Neill
Centre Cody Husband Tim O’Neill
Right Guard Kirby Fabien Charles Vaillancourt
Defensive Tackle Jabar Westerman David Menard
Safety Mike Edem Eric Fraser

B.C.’s ratio structure from a season ago was very similar to their approach in 2015, the lone change being the decision to start Canadians at both the wide receiver spots. This change was propagated by the departure of starting national running back Andrew Harris in free agency.

The Lions appear set to make one ratio change for the second consecutive year following the departure of Canadian defensive tackle Jabar Westerman in free agency.

2017 Ratio Projection

Wide Receiver Shawn Gore Stephen Adekolu, David Richards
Wide Receiver Marco Iannuzzi Brett Blaszko, Shaq Johnson
Left Guard Hunter Steward Jaskaran Dhillon
Centre Cody Husband Quinn Horton, Alec Pennell
Right Guard Kirby Fabien Charles Vaillancourt
Cornerback Keynan Parker Matt Bucknor, Anthony Thompson
Safety Mike Edem Eric Fraser, Brennan Van Nistelrooy

With Westerman now in Montreal, B.C. appears primed to start two Canadians in the secondary. Mike Edem and Eric Fraser are both capable safeties, while Keynan Parker (fresh off a two-year contract extension) showed flashes during spot duty at strong-side cornerback last season. Anthony Thompson, B.C.’s second round pick from a season ago, possesses the athleticism to play cornerback at the CFL level, while Matt Bucknor, signed in February, started 36 games at strong-side cornerback for the Bombers from 2014-2015.

This quintet should provide the Leos with enough talent and depth to start two Canadians in the secondary, completing their ratio.

The future of Shawn Gore’s career may further impact the Lions’ ratio structure in 2017. Gore, who will turn 30 next month, is coming off the best season of his career that saw him post 59 receptions for 835 yards and three touchdowns in sixteen games. Concussions have limited Gore in the past and he may choose to avoid allowing them to impact his future.

If Gore retires, the Lions may elect to start just one national wide receiver this upcoming season. If this is the case, expect fourth-year man David Menard to start at defensive tackle with his back-up coming from a strong 2017 defensive line draft class.

Calgary Stampeders

The Stamps have utilized the same ratio structure for many seasons and 2016 was no exception.

2016 Ratio Structure

Running Back Jerome Messam Rob Cote
Wide Receiver Anthony Parker Simon Charbonneau-Campeau
Left Guard Shane Bergman Roman Grozman
Centre Pierre Lavertu Cameron Thorn
Right Guard Spencer Wilson Brad Erdos
Right Tackle Dan Federkeil Spencer Wilson
Defensive Tackle Junior Turner Quinn Smith

Calgary has the deepest pool of Canadian offensive linemen in the CFL, allowing them to consistently start four national hogs despite significant injuries to Pierre Lavertu, Dan Federkeil, and Karl Lavoie in recent years. This group will serve as the core of the Stamps’ ratio structure next season and beyond.

If Calgary’s ratio had one weakness a season ago it was the lack of a Canadian back-up for running back Jerome Messam. The Stamps would be forced to make an adjustment elsewhere on the roster in the event of an in-game injury to the CFL’s reigning Most Outstanding Canadian, a significant inconvenience for a team that thrives on consistency.

2017 Ratio Projection

Running Back Jerome Messam Anthony Woodson, Charlie Power, Rob Cote
Wide Receiver Anthony Parker Lemar Durant, Juwan Brescacin, Rory Kohlert
Left Guard Shane Bergman Roman Grozman
Centre Pierre Lavertu Cameron Thorn
Right Guard Spencer Wilson Brad Erdos
Right Tackle Dan Federkeil Karl Levoie
Defensive Tackle Junior Turner Quinn Smith, Derek Wiggan
Middle Linebacker Alex Singleton Beau Landry, Max Caron

This issue has been taken care of for 2017. Not only did the Stamps add a veteran Canadian running back in Anthony Woodson, but they also promoted 2016 first rounder Alex Singleton to the starting middle linebacker spot late last season. Starting eight Canadians — one more than the minimum of seven — means that Calgary will not have to make any adjustments to its ratio in case of an injury to one of its national starters.

Edmonton Eskimos

The Esks were the only CFL team to consistently start three Canadian receivers in 2016, a trend that is expected to continue this upcoming season.

2016 Ratio Structure

Wide Receiver Nate Coehoorn Devon Bailey
Slotback Cory Watson Natey Adjei
Slotback Chris Getzlaf Natey Adjei
Left Guard Simeon Rottier Chris Greaves
Centre Justin Sorensen David Beard
Right Guard Matt O’Donnell Danny Groulx
Safety Neil King Cauchy Muamba

Chris Getzlaf wasn’t re-signed following a disappointing 41-reception season, but Shamawd Chambers — now in his second stint with the club — should replace him in the starting line-up.

2017 Ratio Projection

Wide Receiver Nate Coehoorn Andrew Johnson
Slotback Cory Watson Natey Adjei
Slotback Shamawd Chambers Anthony Barrett
Left Guard Simeon Rottier Chris Greaves
Centre Justin Sorensen David Beard
Right Guard Matt O’Donnell Danny Groulx
Safety Neil King Andrew Lue, Mike Dubuisson, Josh Woodman

The potential flaw with Edmonton’s approach to the ratio is the club’s lack of Canadian depth in the receiving corps. The Eskimos dealt with this short-coming a season ago by starting national Eddie Steele at defensive tackle when Cory Watson missed a stretch of games due to injury, allowing for international Greg Zylstra to replace the Canadian slotback. Edmonton no longer has the option of starting a national defensive tackle following the release of Steele last month and the departure of Don Oramasionwu in free agency.

A change along the offensive line appears likely should the Esks lose a starting Canadian receiver to injury in 2017. 2015 draftees Danny Groulx and David Beard should be ready to start, but incumbents Rottier, Sorensen, and O’Donnell have the three interior spots locked down. Is it possible that Groulx, a dominant tackle at Laval, becomes the Esks’ new starting right tackle? Or does O’Donnell, once considered a tackle prospect with the NFL’s Cincinnati Bengals, shift outside to allow Groulx to take over at guard?

Time will tell.

Stay tuned for parts two (Riders, Bombers, Argos) and three (Ticats, Redblacks, Als) of the Ratio Round-Up in the coming days.

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/17/ratio-round-ticats-redblacks-als/

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

The Ticats approached the ratio with uniformity a season ago, starting national players in the same seven spots barring injury.

2016 Ratio Structure

Wide Receiver Spencer Watt Mike Jones
Slotback Andy Fantuz Giovanni Aprile
Left Guard Peter Dyakowski Brandon Revenberg
Centre Mike Filer Mattieu Girard
Right Guard Ryan Bomben Brandon Revenberg
Defensive Tackle Ted Laurent Michael Atkinson
Safety Courtney Stephen Mike Daly

Hamilton will look to make one ratio change in 2017 following the departure of Andy Fantuz. Fantuz, who may yet rejoin the Ticats after becoming a free agent last month, will be rehabbing a torn ACL well into the regular season.

2017 Ratio Projection

Wide Receiver Spencer Watt Mike Jones, Giovanni Aprile, Matt Uren
Left Guard Brandon Revenberg Landon Rice
Centre Mike Filer Mattieu Girard
Right Guard Ryan Bomben Everton Williams
Defensive Tackle Ted Laurent Michael Atkinson, Evan Gill
Cornerback Courtney Stephen Elroy Douglas
Safety Craig Butler Mike Daly, Jay Langa, Tyler Storie

Hamilton’s best option to maintain seven starting nationals is by playing two in the secondary, something the club did frequently prior to the knee injury that forced Craig Butler to miss the entire 2016 campaign. Courtney Stephen is a serviceable strong-side cornerback and starting alongside Emanuel Davis or Abdul Kanneh should aid in his adjustment from safety to corner.

The Ticats’ greatest strength with the ratio is the club’s flexibility. Hamilton started four players along the offensive line at times last season when rookie Brandon Revenberg kicked out to right tackle, while Ted Laurent and Michael Atkinson teamed up to create an all-Canadian interior defensive line for a stretch as well. Justin Capicciotti, acquired from the Riders late last season, is also a legitimate starting pass rusher should the club be forced to sit John Chick or Adrian Tracy.

Look for the Ticats to target an offensive lineman or defensive back in May’s CFL draft.

Ottawa Redblacks

The Redblacks were the CFL’s only club to consistently start eight Canadians all last season. Starting eight nationals — one more than the required seven — is a major advantage for CFL clubs as it allows them to replace a Canadian starter with an American should an injury occur in-game.

2016 Ratio Structure

Slotback Brad Sinopoli Scott MacDonell
Left Guard J’Michael Deane Matt Albright
Centre Jon Gott Alex Mateas
Right Guard Nolan MacMillan Alex Mateas
Right Tackle Jason Lauzon-Seguin Matt Albright
Defensive End Connor Williams Arnaud Gascon-Nadon
Defensive Tackle Zack Evans Ettore Lattanzio
Safety Antoine Pruneau Dan West

J’Michael Deane departed for Toronto via free agency, opening the door for 2015 first overall selection Alex Mateas to enter the starting line-up at left guard.

2017 Ratio Projection

Slotback Brad Sinopoli Scott MacDonell, Jake Harty, Riley Wilson, Jamal Kett
Left Guard Alex Mateas Kadeem Adams
Centre Jon Gott Matt Albright
Right Guard Nolan MacMillan Kyle Fraser-Audit
Right Tackle Jason Lauzon-Seguin Randy Beardy
Defensive End Connor Williams Arnaud Gascon-Nadon, Andrew Marshall
Defensive Tackle Zack Evans Ettore Lattanzio
Safety Antoine Pruneau Dan West, Adam Berger, Jean-Philippe Bolduc, Mikael Charland

Featuring solid starters across the board, Ottawa’s national talent is arguably the CFL’s best. Brad Sinopoli is probably the CFL’s best Canadian receiver, while Connor Williams’ ability to play any of the four positions along the defensive line is a huge asset. Jason Lauzon-Seguin also provides nice versatility in his ability to play both guard and tackle.

The Redblacks lack depth along the offensive line, but being able to replace a Canadian starter with an American lessens the immediate need for hog help. The addition of Adam Berger in free agency was a sneaky-good move, giving the club an experienced back-up national safety.

Montreal Alouettes

The Alouettes were one of two CFL teams to feature an all-Canadian offensive line a season ago, a long-standing tradition of Montreal football.

2016 Ratio Structure

Wide Receiver  Samuel Giguere  Alex Charette
Left Tackle  Jacob Ruby  Ryan White
Left Guard  Philip Blake  Jake Piotrowski
Centre  Kristian Matte  Luc Brodeur-Jordain
Right Guard  Philippe Gagnon  Jake Piotrowski
Right Tackle  Jeff Perrett  Ryan White
Safety  Marc-Olivier Broulliette  Dominique Termansen

Montreal’s new general manager, long-time CFL assistant/head coach Kavis Reed, quickly did away with the Alouettes’ all-Canadian offensive line. Reed has quickly put his stamp on Montreal’s roster, revamping his Canadian content to a greater extent than any other CFL club this off-season.

2017 Ratio Projection

Wide Receiver  Samuel Giguere  Alex Charette, Kyle Graves, Seydou Junior Haidara
Left Guard  Philip Blake  Jacob Ruby
Centre  Kristian Matte  Luc Brodeur-Jordain
Right Guard  Philippe Gagnon  Jake Piotrowski
Nose Tackle  Keith Shologan  Don Oramasionwu, Ray Drew
Defensive End  Jabar Westerman  Michael Klassen, Jesse Joseph
Interior Linebacker  Nicolas Boulay  Frederic Plesius, Christopher Johnson

Montreal is expected to compensate for the decision to start just three Canadian offensive linemen by playing two nationals along the defensive line. Jabar Westerman, Keith Shologan, and Don Oramasionwu were added in free agency, two of whom should start. Expect Shologan to start at nose tackle with Westerman at defensive end. Westerman had the least-productive season with the Lions at defensive end in 2015, but playing in Noel Thorpe’s 3-4 defensive scheme should suit his 6’2, 280 pound frame.

Starting Westerman and Shologan along the defensive line would mean a change of scenery for John Bowman or Gabriel Knapton. Some NFL pass rushers — including Dwight Freeney, John Abraham, and Robert Mathis — have extended their careers by becoming outside linebackers in 3-4 schemes. Could Bowman, now 34, do the same?

The Als also lost veteran safety Marc-Olivier Broulliette to Saskatchewan in free agency, replacing him with international Ryan Phillips. Expect Montreal to make up the difference by starting a Canadian in their linebacking corps, replacing international Winston Venable who signed with Toronto. Special teams dynamo Nicolas Boulay and Frederic Plesius — acquired via trade with Hamilton — should duel for the starting job in training camp.

John Hodge

John Hodge is a lifelong follower of the CFL who has been writing about the league since 2014. He is a two-time finalist of the Jon Gott lookalike contest.
Edited by BigBlue

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

The trade has been announced. #AlsMTL acquire OL Jovan Olafioye from BC for rights to OL David Foucault and import OL Vincent Brown.

cfl.ca says there's also future considerations involved whatever that means.. draft picks maybe?

MONTREAL — After it was initially reported last week, the Montreal Alouettes have officially acquired CFL All-Star and international offensive tackle Jovan Olafioye from the BC Lions.

The Alouettes also get future considerations from BC in return for the rights to national offensive tackle David Foucault, as well as international offensive tackle Vincent Brown.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/23/report-als-close-landing-six-time-star-olafioye/

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

the usual seems to be a clause of if the player starts X number of games the trading team gets Y pick. but who knows could be a case of beer. 

The 6’8”, 305-pounder hasn’t played in more than a year and is unsigned. If Foucault, 28, does agree to play in the CFL, the Lions will send another player to Montreal. B.C. also receives practice roster import offensive lineman Vincent Brown to complete the transaction.

https://3downnation.com/2017/03/27/lions-traded-star-olafioye-als-hint-money/

44 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The 6’8”, 305-pounder hasn’t played in more than a year and is unsigned. If Foucault, 28, does agree to play in the CFL, the Lions will send another player to Montreal. B.C. also receives practice roster import offensive lineman Vincent Brown to complete the transaction.

https://3downnation.com/2017/03/27/lions-traded-star-olafioye-als-hint-money/

that is a strange provision. I dont think ive ever seen a pending active play as a future out side of PTBNL, which is cash a huge percentage of the time.