Around The League Off Season Discussion

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Maybe was a jerk to work for and people in the organization had enough? Just spit balling here.

which is likely true, but the point is, why now? It's the timing that's the curious point here...

26 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Barker soft landing in 3, 2, 1....

Could be accurate....but do the esks. view Barker as successful as Hervey considering the debacle in T.O.....hmmmm something is cooking in the background and I think it's a lot deeper than what Lawless is reporting....The board wanted more control over the team so they jettison a fairly competent GM....????doesn't add up and the timing is even more suspicious

9 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Could be accurate....but do the esks. view Barker as successful as Hervey considering the debacle in T.O.....hmmmm something is cooking in the background and I think it's a lot deeper than what Lawless is reporting....The board wanted more control over the team so they jettison a fairly competent GM....????doesn't add up and the timing is even more suspicious

Doesn't say that anywhere.

Boards set general policies and directions.  They are supposed to provide vision and a framework to work within.  People are hired understanding that vision and framework.  They are usually given the freedom to pursue the goals set by the board, but that does not mean they are not accountable for the decisions they make and the manner in which they behave.

There were several examples from last season where the Eskimos and Hervey did exactly that.  If Hervey thought and acted like being at the top of football operations means he answers to no one, he just found out he was wrong.

I have to give credit to president Len Rhodes for making this very tough decision and standing behind what he feels is right for the fans and media in Edmonton.

AND with each move made by various teams over the last few years...Sask., Montreal, Toronto, and now Edmonton, the further we (the Bombers) get away from being the team under the laughing spotlight...

Edited by Mr Dee

Just spin IMO. There's something rotten in the city of Edmonton. If it's actually about "philosophical issues" then they'd have canned Hervey at the end of the season. If it's actually about contract negotiations, then they could have fired Hervey at the end of the season or kept him on to work out the rest of his contract while looking for the new GM in the background. Heck, that would have been cheaper too as they wouldn't have to pay 2 GM's this year.

I think there is more to the story.

The fact that they've been working behind the scenes to find a new GM since January is really something. Hervey might be an ******* but so are the guys who jammed all those knives in his back. That team did well under him and they just threw him under the bus. So glad that there's no circus in Winnipeg anymore. 

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Just spin IMO. There's something rotten in the city of Edmonton. If it's actually about "philosophical issues" then they'd have canned Hervey at the end of the season. If it's actually about contract negotiations, then they could have fired Hervey at the end of the season or kept him on to work out the rest of his contract while looking for the new GM in the background. Heck, that would have been cheaper too as they wouldn't have to pay 2 GM's this year.

I think there is more to the story.

Agreed.  The timing just doesn't make sense for it only to be about his contract & philosophy.  They've known about his views for a long time so nothing new there.  He also wouldn't have been the 1st GM to go into the final year of his contract without a new deal done so not a huge deal.  Even if those 2 reasons are legit, together they don't add up to a firing, IMO,  with one of the most important dates of the year coming up shortly.

2 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I cant wait to hear Hervey's side of this story. For one, I dont think he's a guy who will take the high road if he has bullet to fire back.

I'd imagine that's a by-product of growing up in Compton.  ;)

Big blow back on Eskfans and I don't blame them. Like Hervey or not he was a good GM built a very competitive  team. The BOD over their reminds me of our dark days past here. Fire a GM because the attendance is down with a good team? Yeah that makes sense...?

Edited by bb1

Sean Fleming
Let's be clear, this move was strictly all about Rhodes' ego and the negotiations to extend Ed's contract which were initiated by the organization.

- Ed was looking to be paid market rate for GMs in the league, which is a reasonable ask, given his success and how he handled the staff exodus last season. Rhodes took issue with that since it would mean Ed would be making more than Rhodes, a point he raised with Ed.
- Ed was looking for a bump up in title to President of Football Operations. That didn't sit well with Rhodes.
- Rhodes didn't like the fact that Terry Jones was publically calling Rhodes weak by stating that football ops was running the show in Edmonton and across the league.

In the meantime, attendance continues to drop under Rhodes' leadership on the business side. This coming from a guy who brought you the concert series with Vanilla Ice as a way to increase attendance. To blame that on Ed when he is putting a winning product on the field is an attempt to pass the buck.

All the rest of the excuses Rhodes is trying to peddle is just an attempt to backfill. Why entering into negotiations to extend if you have been looking to replace him since January? A total contradiction.