Around The League Off Season Discussion

1 hour ago, tracker said:

The tweet does make one question the retiree's ethical standards.

No different from any other job. Pretty much every single person I've worked with that has retired lets the calendar year roll over, gets their bonus, takes their paid vacation and then retires. Nobody retires in December and passes up on the bonus and vacation pay.

3 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

No different from any other job. Pretty much every single person I've worked with that has retired lets the calendar year roll over, gets their bonus, takes their paid vacation and then retires. Nobody retires in December and passes up on the bonus and vacation pay.

You earn vacation as you go along, not in advance.  Most people retire early in the year because the tax implications on severance and/or bonus payments. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

You earn vacation as you go along, not in advance.  Most people retire early in the year because the tax implications on severance and/or bonus payments. 

Every company I've worked for you have your new vacation allotment January 1st. Even when it comes to quitting to switch companies lots of people wait until bonus time. Last time I changed companies I switched in March for that exact reason. Got my bonus from the prior company and got out.

2 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

Every company I've worked for you have your new vacation allotment January 1st. Even when it comes to quitting to switch companies lots of people wait until bonus time. Last time I changed companies I switched in March for that exact reason. Got my bonus from the prior company and got out.

Okay, but, unlike a CFL contract, it's not a signing bonus, it's a bonus paid on your previous year's work (or company's performance). 

Edited by JCon

http://3downnation.com/2017/04/11/odell-willis-slams-former-teammate-nate-coehoorn-retirement/

Nathan CoehoornVerified account @NateCoehoorn

Replying to @KuntryKane205

Hey bro. Sorry you feel that way. But its not like that at all. I actually had a bonus coming on May 1st but decided to retire before that

It was great being your teammate and winning a Grey Cup with you.Thanks for the memories. Go win another one! GO ESKS GO!

Also I would never retire off of how much money I was getting paid. There is a lot more to life to me than just money.

Health is a huge priority to me. When I didn’t even know where I was after I dove for that ball against sask week 2 that was not fun.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

http://3downnation.com/2017/04/11/odell-willis-slams-former-teammate-nate-coehoorn-retirement/

Hey bro. Sorry you feel that way. But its not like that at all. I actually had a bonus coming on May 1st but decided to retire before that

It was great being your teammate and winning a Grey Cup with you.Thanks for the memories. Go win another one! GO ESKS GO!

Also I would never retire off of how much money I was getting paid. There is a lot more to life to me than just money.

Health is a huge priority to me. When I didn’t even know where I was after I dove for that ball against sask week 2 that was not fun.

This series of replies sure makes Odell look like a piece of ****...

Whatever his reasons... good for Coehoorn for stepping away on his terms...

I really respect players who retires at their own terms. Im pretty sure its really hard for them to walk from the sports they love and accustomed to do for how many years since their high school and college. 

Prioirities change. As Coehoorn said, theres more to life than football. 

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Isn't there a date after which you can't poach other teams management in the CFL and aren't we past it already? Wouldn't that let O'Day out and anyone else who already has a job?

from the last paragraph of the article:

"With the window for CFL teams to interview front office personnel from other clubs closed, Edmonton would have needed permission from both the league and the Riders in order to speak to O’Day and will have to follow the same process should they wish to interview other candidates currently under contract."

9 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Anyone hear what's going on with the Ridersfan website? I know who cares but it's fun to peek over there sometimes, kind of like watching Maury Povich....dont want to admit it but every once in a while.?

Cut in the Provincial budget. Civil unrest, brother vs brother, sister vs sister, father vs son (I might have already said that with brother vs brother?), tooth vs tooth.

Or possibly, Orridge's last act as commish?