Around The League Off Season Discussion

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-investors-group-stadium-construction-transit-1.4070024

Repairs to the faulty concrete and drainage at Winnipeg's Investors Group Field will take two more years to complete, but the stadium's owner is promising there will be no conflicts with events at the four-year-old football stadium.

Pre Season CFL games being televised:

Thursday, June 8 Hamilton at Ottawa 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt TSN Network

Sunday, June 11 Calgary at Edmonton 7pm et/4pm pt TSN Network

Thursday, June 15 Ottawa at Montreal 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt TSN2

Friday, June 16 Saskatchewan at BC 10pm et/7pm pt TSN Network

No Toronto and no Winnipeg

We need a new Commisioner!

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

As always, pre-season is best on CJOB...looking forward to Bob's call, especially on the 11th!

It's no wonder CJOB's ratings are declining, once the season is over Bob virtually goes into hibernation and doesn't re-emerge until T.C.  The major broadcaster needs to do more during the off-season to keep the Bombers and the CFL in the news.  It's not like there's nothing going on in the off-season, did Bob even attend CFL Week?  The broadcaster in Regina does a much better job keeping the Riders front and center, a day doesn't go by that they don't discuss something CFL or Rider related.  I love Bob but CJOB really deserves to lose the broadcast rights.

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It's no wonder CJOB's ratings are declining, once the season is over Bob virtually goes into hibernation and doesn't re-emerge until T.C.  The major broadcaster needs to do more during the off-season to keep the Bombers and the CFL in the news.  It's not like there's nothing going on in the off-season, did Bob even attend CFL Week?  The broadcaster in Regina does a much better job keeping the Riders front and center, a day doesn't go by that they don't discuss something CFL or Rider related.  I love Bob but CJOB really deserves to lose the broadcast rights.

Bob's been part time for years now...he's 70 for Christ's sake! He's earned it. Now, I agree, the staff they DO have on full time should be doing more in the offseason, but Bob, for his age, is pretty active on social media. He almost always has something posted on Twitter when there's a Bombers announcement of some kind. 

Having said that, when the season begins again, there's nobody better (Tait, maybe) than Bob for knowledge of the team and the league....the dude just gets it. Way better than anyone else in radio/TV/print...

I believe CJOB holds the rights until the end of this year.  (7 year extension announced in nov 2011). 

This could be the last season on CJOB.  And unfortunately probably Bob as well.  He is due for a well earned retirement. 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

I believe CJOB holds the rights until the end of this year.  (7 year extension announced in nov 2011). 

This could be the last season on CJOB.  And unfortunately probably Bob as well.  He is due for a well earned retirement. 

well earned, but damn that sucks. I spent a year living out in the bush and with no cable, CJOB was all i had for bomber games and felt like I didn't miss a beat. Hell even after the fact I usually turn on CJOB for the pregame vs TSN's. I assume 1290 will carry bomber games next year then?  

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

if you think they hibernate now on CJOB then they'd be buried with Jets coverage on 1290 TSN. What do you think would happen if the Jets & Bombers had games simultaneously? The Bombers would be relegated to a feed on their their webpage. Being on CJOB is still better than sharing 1290 TSN with the Jets.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Over the last few seasons it's been clear that Bob only has a year or left of doing PBP.    Time to end that chapter and move in a new direction and hope that the next PBP guy can be as good as Bob was. 

That will be difficult. The person following will have huge shoes to fill.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I can understand the problem, now that all games are televised the radio broadcast almost becomes irrelevant.  That said, I guess I will be tuning into CJOB for the two preseason games.

In this TV deal but what about the next? With falling ratings maybe the future rightsholder whoever that is decides not to televise all the games.

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In this TV deal but what about the next? With falling ratings maybe the future rightsholder whoever that is decides not to televise all the games.

The CFL can not afford to let that happen, there's no going back.  If the league is to prosper it has to get beyond relying on gate receipts. Most sports streaming websites are sponsored almost exclusively by online betting, especially the British and Asian ones.  It's a shady world but I wonder if the CFL can benefit from this source of sponsorship revenue on a global level.  Gamblers aren't necessarily interested in the event, just the results.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The CFL can not afford to let that happen, there's no going back.  If the league is to prosper it has to get beyond relying on gate receipts. Most sports streaming websites are sponsored almost exclusively by online betting, especially the British and Asian ones.  It's a shady world but I wonder if the CFL can benefit from this source of sponsorship revenue on a global level.  Gamblers aren't necessarily interested in the event, just the results.

Does draftkings in anyway give money to the cfl? 

48 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It could happen. Especially the CFL's penchant to not having competition for the rights. Or letting TSN not distribute some games to other networks. The games should be on CTV or CBC as TSN is a cable network. But the CFL burned its bridges with CTV years ago... Although Bell Media are the owners now.

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It could happen. Especially the CFL's penchant to not having competition for the rights. Or letting TSN not distribute some games to other networks. The games should be on CTV or CBC as TSN is a cable network. But the CFL burned its bridges with CTV years ago... Although Bell Media are the owners now.

IIRC the contract with TSN would allow CTV to broadcast some games but they don't. What do you think would happen with airing CFL games when the NFL season started. If you think burying something on the website was bad, how would you feel about watching a game on MuchMoreMusic. And Bell Media has owned CTV and TSN for years - now owning the Argos will likely keep it on TSN but don't bet on it going to CTV. 

Edited by Jacquie

On April 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM, bb1 said:

Anyone hear what's going on with the Ridersfan website? I know who cares but it's fun to peek over there sometimes, kind of like watching Maury Povich....dont want to admit it but every once in a while.?

I read on the CFL.ca forum that the server's hard drive failed and they didn't have a back up so they lost everything. They have to build things from scratch, kind of like their team.

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I read on the CFL.ca forum that the server's hard drive failed and they didn't have a back up so they lost everything. They have to build things from scratch, kind of like their team.

Lol well that is tough....thnks for the info.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

If CJOB loses the rights after this year, would 1290 hire Bob just to do the Bomber games? Or if TSN 1290 has the rights, who do they get to call the games?

Bob plays a big role at CJOB. I wonder if goes into semi-retirement and calls games for TSN1290? Best of both worlds, I guess.