Around The League Off Season Discussion

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Calling football is a unique talent...can't just be a hockey PBP guy and transfer. The TSN guys like Cuthbert and Miller are extremely unique talents, pulling double duty. Takes a lot of passion for the sport you're covering. I'm certain there's up and comers in the City who will hopefully get a shot one day. 

I actually don't mind Randorf doing hockey PBP on sportsnet, but his over use of "so and so just rubbed him out" when referencing a hit makes me chuckle and cringe at the same time

Just now, Floyd said:

Buono got Foucault for $97k base and $18k performance bonus...  that's a steal.

that's a good price for potential starting NI, still needs to translate on the field though, I don't think Reed will be losing any sleep getting Olafioye instead, that guys about as consistent as it gets.  Any word who the remaining piece of the trade is (Player still heading montreal's way)?

3 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

i still remember his "right down portage and main" catch phrase when the fish hit the long ball and kept thinking... they are facing the red river away from P & M... i could do with out his overly enthusiastic PBP

AT THE TRACK AT THE WALL HE CAN LOOK UP PUCKER UP AND KISS IT GOODBYE! 

cant lie i loved his pbp. I can totally see how its not for every one though. (baseball especially goes well with his kind of enthusiasm)

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Buono got Foucault for $97k base and $18k performance bonus...  that's a steal.

Where did you read that? I thought he was getting much more then that. If thats true thats crazy good value. When the best OL / BPA at no1 this year wont be in camp at best, and focault is arguably better this may have been the move of the off season. Buono does it again. 

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Where did you read that? I thought he was getting much more then that. If thats true thats crazy good value. When the best OL / BPA at no1 this year wont be in camp at best, and focault is arguably better this may have been the move of the off season. Buono does it again. 

Dunk reported the details.

http://3downnation.com/2017/04/17/david-foucault-contract-details-bc-lions/

7 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

i still remember his "right down portage and main" catch phrase when the fish hit the long ball and kept thinking... they are facing the red river away from P & M... i could do with out his overly enthusiastic PBP

Right down Portage and Main is referring to a pitch over the plate, not a home run.

On 2017-04-16 at 2:51 PM, IC Khari said:

While I readily admit my dislike for everything Riders that is a real shame, hard to believe no backup was done?

Perhaps instead of trying to be the Rider super insider that all RFs revere, with mega sources and vital insider Rider information that he just can't share for fear of outing those sources, the Super Administrator over there should have been, oh, I don't know, actually spending some time being the site administrator?? 

So all their info and data is gone huh?  Well I know one thread in particular that will live forever; the infamous Ridergirl thread over there that I copied and pasted into word and sits in my desk drawer on a storage drive. That amongst others.   Too funny. 

11 hours ago, lyin' guy said:

Perhaps instead of trying to be the Rider super insider that all RFs revere, with mega sources and vital insider Rider information that he just can't share for fear of outing those sources, the Super Administrator over there should have been, oh, I don't know, actually spending some time being the site administrator?? 

So all their info and data is gone huh?  Well I know one thread in particular that will live forever; the infamous Ridergirl thread over there that I copied and pasted into word and sits in my desk drawer on a storage drive. That amongst others.   Too funny. 

I could go for a peak at that! Did you happen to save that old chestnut: the "Oosmap" (sic) dialogue?

22 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

He's not over the top, listen to some American radio hockey play by play guys for over the top.

For me he's a very entertaining  play by play guy.

Edited by Mark F

18 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Some other guys being worse doesn't make him good. 

It's nothing personal...I have zero doubts that Paul's a great guy.........but his PBP style drives me bonkers. And PBP style is something that is very polarizing...some people love one thing and others absolutely despise it. For me, I want a subtle, understated guy....just the facts...I don't need you to make the game "more exciting" by screaming at me. The game is exciting enough...you don't need to make yourself the focus.

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Do the Als have a new logo...?  Feels like they have 4-5 logos all the time

I believe that's the old Montreal Concordes logo, no?

*edit*

No, that's some kinda other logo....looks retro.....maybe like an old school Als logo from the past?

Edited by Noeller

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's nothing personal...I have zero doubts that Paul's a great guy.........but his PBP style drives me bonkers. And PBP style is something that is very polarizing...some people love one thing and others absolutely despise it. For me, I want a subtle, understated guy....just the facts...I don't need you to make the game "more exciting" by screaming at me. The game is exciting enough...you don't need to make yourself the focus.

^^ this.

I've listened to plenty of american radio pbp guys listening to Sirius while driving, and there are a lot of equally or worse PBP guys as Edmonds, but as you said the "screaming at me" style isn't for me,  sounds like he's gonna **** himself several times throughout a broadcast.  

I think that's where I like Irving above all else, he uses emotion to the point you can notice it, but it doesn't overshadow what he's talking about, which i find happens when I listen to Edmonds. I'm more distracted by his catchphrases and over the top emphasis on things then what he's actually talking about and it ruins my listening pleasure