Around The League Off Season Discussion

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Desjardins had a huge head start compared to the Bombers in 2014 starting from zero. We were already handicapped with overpaid & underperforming players under the salary cap. We didn't have the financial resources the RedBlacks had at that time. They could target areas in the Draft & free agency they felt they'd need with veteran players while we couldn't. They had no encumbrances but we sure did. They were able to poach coaches from everywhere. Plus the Bombers were considered a dead franchise back then. Where coaches & players go to die whereas Ottawa had all this excitement & optimism going for them. Players wantd to go to Ottawa but they didn't want to come to the Bombers. It really was a Tale Of Two Cities. Put Marcel Desjardins in Kyle Walters position with the Bombers after Joe Mack in 2013 & maybe he wouldn't be as successful as Walters has been to this point with us. Kyle literally had nothing to work with & was constrained by the problems this franchise had at the time. Desjardins had nothing of the sort in Ottawa.

I won't minimize Desjardin's success just because he didn't have to deal with our franchise's ineptitude. Sure, they had the expansion draft, but our bloated salaries and a possible perception that we were not a destination of choice, was on us. The fact that we started the race while wading in sand vs. them on dry pavement, was as much, our making as it was them having a head start. 

I'm OK with being envious of their success, but now, we're moving forward..... and I hope that the way our team was run in the past will become a distant memory, and can be a cautionary tale for future leadership to remember.

1 hour ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I won't minimize Desjardin's success just because he didn't have to deal with our franchise's ineptitude. Sure, they had the expansion draft, but our bloated salaries and a possible perception that we were not a destination of choice, was on us. The fact that we started the race while wading in sand vs. them on dry pavement, was as much, our making as it was them having a head start. 

I'm OK with being envious of their success, but now, we're moving forward..... and I hope that the way our team was run in the past will become a distant memory, and can be a cautionary tale for future leadership to remember.

Agree, however it has to be the single biggest consideration when comparing the success of the Bombers & RedBlacks. It wasn't an even playing field at all. I also agree that you're right that the Mack regime really hurt this team badly as well as Mike Kelly when he was Head Coach & GM. We're a lot better now but still recovering from their incompetence. Have to give Walters credit for doing a really good job rebuilding our Canadian talent & depth.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

@SpeedFlex27 - Desjardins had a huge head start compared to the Bombers in 2014 starting from zero. We were already handicapped with overpaid & underperforming players under the salary cap. We didn't have the financial resources the RedBlacks had at that time"

6 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I won't minimize Desjardin's success just because he didn't have to deal with our franchise's ineptitude.

Actually I think you're both right. 

We can't minimize what Desjardins did, but we certainly can't omit the part where he had quite the advantage over what the Bombers had at that time. And what the older regimes did, is exactly why we were behind Ottawa.

But, the statement that Speedo made IS correct, and we can't forget that..

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 0:33 PM, Mike said:

All I will say is that they don't ban anyone just for questioning RS (or anyone else) - you've had a very long leash over there, as have I, and you know it. The times you were banned, you definitely deserved it (as did I when I was banned) and it was probably long overdue. I don't think we'd do anything differently over here.

And Gov does care.

The rest of it is largely accurate.

I know of several people banned for questioning Stronsons accuracy. Then there posts are modified or deleted. Gov will sympathize but allows Stronson to remain a mod. That's straight up fact.

6 hours ago, gcn11 said:

I know of several people banned for questioning Stronsons accuracy. Then there posts are modified or deleted. Gov will sympathize but allows Stronson to remain a mod. That's straight up fact.

That is true. But you generally have to have annoyed them previously in order for it to get that far.

I went on a run where I was calling out Stronson on a regular basis and he never banned me. Kind of wondered why, to be honest.

6 hours ago, Mike said:

That is true. But you generally have to have annoyed them previously in order for it to get that far.

I went on a run where I was calling out Stronson on a regular basis and he never banned me. Kind of wondered why, to be honest.

Gov has blocked a crap load of bannings over the past couple years by Stronson. I know this to be fact.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Cripes....that's a lot of 'buck passers' and 'meat shields'  (as they like to say in Greenland)employed in the coaching ranks...Lot's gathering at the trough in Jonesville and easy to see where the money pit is located in the CFL..

Jones is one smart cracker, he's now hiding players on the coaching staff!

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The one thing you notice about that staff is how young these guys are. Not an assistant over 50 in that group. Some 20 something's there. Usually on a staff the HC mixes it up having the younger guys learn from the experiences of the older guys. I don't see that here.

"Goldie Pants" don't look like no spring chicken.

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Younger guys less likely to question Jones "brilliance"... 

exactly. Jones doesn't want anything other than a bunch of yes men because Jones is going to do everything since no one else is on his level. The size of the staff is likely simply to have plenty of bodies to throw under the bus.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:39 PM, Mr Dee said:

@SpeedFlex27 - Desjardins had a huge head start compared to the Bombers in 2014 starting from zero. We were already handicapped with overpaid & underperforming players under the salary cap. We didn't have the financial resources the RedBlacks had at that time"

Actually I think you're both right. 

We can't minimize what Desjardins did, but we certainly can't omit the part where he had quite the advantage over what the Bombers had at that time. And what the older regimes did, is exactly why we were behind Ottawa.

But, the statement that Speedo made IS correct, and we can't forget that..

I don't see how that's correct.  Contracts aren't guaranteed, if the Bombers wanted to cut everyone and start from scratch then there was nothing preventing them from doing so.