Around The League Off Season Discussion

As I have said in the past RFs is a valuable CFL site with a majority of good caring fans. They are bias, but it's their site. As with every site, or workplace, or family there are always a few that take things too seriously.  There are a few over there that I could have beers and laughs with and few over there that I wouldn't give the time of day to.  RS is an inconsistent loose cannon.   I had enough PMs from too many people saying they sympathized and that RS was an issue. He is still by the looks of things   Gov has an issue there he needs to address, but I wish their site no ill will and much success. 

Edited by lyin' guy

10 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_CFL_Expansion_Draft

They had better Canadians and a better qb than us just from the draft. They traded Glenn for Pruneau.

We could have signed Burris, that was all about money.  We also could have drafted Pruneau as we drafted prior to #5, but we chose Goossen (which was a fine choice).  And like I said, very few of those Canadians from the expansion draft were still with Ott when they won, so.... not seeing the relevance.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

We also could have drafted Pruneau as we drafted prior to #5, but we chose Goossen (which was a fine choice).  And like I said, very few of those Canadians from the expansion draft were still with Ott when they won, so.... not seeing the relevance.

If we were able to draft Glenn from another team and trade him like the Redblacks did, we could have had both.

Five starters on their Grey Cup roster, and eight players overall. Not to mention Cappicciotti and Shologan, who were still around when they went to the finals the year before.

35 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

If we were able to draft Glenn from another team and trade him like the Redblacks did, we could have had both.

Five starters on their Grey Cup roster, and eight players overall. Not to mention Cappicciotti and Shologan, who were still around when they went to the finals the year before.

OK you're right, if only the Bombers could have had those 8 players we would have won the Grey Cup.  LOL.  Get real.  The Bombers weren't in any worse of a position than Ottawa was.  Desjardins just made it work.  Give credit where it's due.

38 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Also your numbers are off, unless I'm missing something.  I see Deane, Hopkins, and Evans as starters and Marshall, Albright, and Lavoie as backups/special teams.  Tuesday morning and you're already in the sauce?

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

He'll probably end up on the P.R. in Sask., then the Bombers can poach him back without qualm.

I figure that will be his fate as well,  regardless of how well he does at camp. The riders IMO will be going with Young (1A), Glenn (1B) and Bridge (3) as their day 1 stable. 

Question is, Would walters be in a hurry to try and reacquire Bennett? He couldn't crack our game day roster last year over Davis, and now that we have LeFevour, Bennett would just be jumping from 1 PR to another. I think Bennett would be wiser to stay in sask as a chance to move up the depth chart is more promising there then here

23 minutes ago, Atomic said:

OK you're right, if only the Bombers could have had those 8 players we would have won the Grey Cup.  LOL.  Get real.  The Bombers weren't in any worse of a position than Ottawa was.  Desjardins just made it work.  Give credit where it's due.

And with this nonsense I bid this discussion adieu. Desjardins did a good job building the team and was given a nice head start in the expansion draft. We can leave it at that and know that I'm right and you're wrong.

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I figure that will be his fate as well,  regardless of how well he does at camp. The riders IMO will be going with Young (1A), Glenn (1B) and Bridge (3) as their day 1 stable. 

Question is, Would walters be in a hurry to try and reacquire Bennett? He couldn't crack our game day roster last year over Davis, and now that we have LeFevour, Bennett would just be jumping from 1 PR to another. I think Bennett would be wiser to stay in sask as a chance to move up the depth chart is more promising there then here

Which is probably why he jumped ship to begin with.

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

We don't know how upset Walters was over losing Bennett and if he looks to be a better option than #4 it could be on his agenda.  Besides Davis is a big question mark and Lefevour is a temporary place holder so the QB situation behind Nichols is still pretty fuzzy.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

We don't know how upset Walters was over losing Bennett and if he looks to be a better option than #4 it could be on his agenda.  Besides Davis is a big question mark and Lefevour is a temporary place holder so the QB situation behind Nichols is still pretty fuzzy.

that's true, don't recall ever reading anything on Walters or MOS' reaction to bennett being scooped up immediately following the GC.  It's too bad the riders scooped up Bennett first, then Glenn,  cuz if Glenn had moved first we could have maybe moved Bennett up off the PR and got him under contract heading into the offseason.  Those greasy SOB's in green and white tho were waiting like vultures.... I honestly would find it comical if the riders drop a deuce again this season and fire the Jones regime. His legacy will be the Legend of the Scrap Heaper

54 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

that's true, don't recall ever reading anything on Walters or MOS' reaction to bennett being scooped up immediately following the GC.  It's too bad the riders scooped up Bennett first, then Glenn,  cuz if Glenn had moved first we could have maybe moved Bennett up off the PR and got him under contract heading into the offseason.  Those greasy SOB's in green and white tho were waiting like vultures.... I honestly would find it comical if the riders drop a deuce again this season and fire the Jones regime. His legacy will be the Legend of the Scrap Heaper

But the problem with that is Bennet immediately became a FA once the season ending b/c he was on the PR... so we would have to sign Bennet to a contract first, then he would've been "protected"

Just now, bearpants said:

But the problem with that is Bennet immediately became a FA once the season ending b/c he was on the PR... so we would have to sign Bennet to a contract first, then he would've been "protected"

Our season came to an end after losing to the lions on november 13,  do PR players become FAs when their respective clubs season ends or the CFL season ends? (Nov 27th).  that would have given us 2 weeks to gauge what was going on with glenn and if we wanted to protect anyone on our PR unless we were that hard to the cap we couldn't offer anyone a new or increased contract than that of a PR contract while still operating in 2016 $  

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Our season came to an end after losing to the lions on november 13,  do PR players become FAs when their respective clubs season ends or the CFL season ends? (Nov 27th).  that would have given us 2 weeks to gauge what was going on with glenn and if we wanted to protect anyone on our PR unless we were that hard to the cap we couldn't offer anyone a new or increased contract than that of a PR contract while still operating in 2016 $  

Walters wanted to keep Glenn, it wasn't until Glenn decided to seek opportunities elsewhere in Jan. that a roster spot opened up.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Bennett was never poached... that's a bid of a mistaken view of what happened.  Either we didn't want him, or he didn't want to be here.  It's no different than if he had gone to free agency in February.  It just happened at a different time. 

OK, "stolen".

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

I don't see how that's correct.  Contracts aren't guaranteed, if the Bombers wanted to cut everyone and start from scratch then there was nothing preventing them from doing so.

I did agree that both statements were correct, but Desjardins did have time before the team became an entity to envision a version of his team. And he did continue that effort in the following years. He did a good job. 

But, how would he have fared had he been hired to lead the Bombers? 

I really don't think he would have cut everyone and start from scratch.

So, the idea to start from scratch is ridiculous, but I suspect you already know that.

This idea that Walters was at a disadvantage compared to Desjardins is ridiculous.  Yup, Mack could not draft to save his life...  but that has nothing to do with signing Burris, Jackson, Williams, Ellingson, Rogers...  No one forced Walters to head into the 2015 season with Willy and Brohm.

Desjardins traded for an experienced Centre and franchise QB and then once their offence faltered... he put together the league's best receiving core.

I remember lots of people on here criticizing him for 'over-spending'... that is until Walters started over-spending in FA and we now see the results.

33 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I did agree that both statements were correct, but Desjardins did have time before the team became an entity to envision a version of his team. And he did continue that effort in the following years. He did a good job. 

But, how would he have fared had he been hired to lead the Bombers? 

I really don't think he would have cut everyone and start from scratch.

So, the idea to start from scratch is ridiculous, but I suspect you already know that.

given our records up until last year under Walters - 3-15(13') 7-11(14') 5-13(15')  and that only remaining players left since Walters first took over are Denmark, Thomas, Wild and Sherman,  I think Desjardins could have fared about the same had he blown it all up. 

Walters didn't do it in one fell swoop like Jones did in Sask. but gradually he ended up turning over almost the entire roster