Around The League Off Season Discussion

34 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I sincerely doubt we protected Carl Volny over Teague Sherman.

I waffled back and forth over which one was more likely protected but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.  Both were fringe special teams players.  Ottawa had plenty of those and no good receivers.  Hard to say it was idiotic to take a chance on a solid Canadian free agent receiver rather than select a guy like Sherman or Volny.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

Yeah. I remember the Kohlert pick when we basically had a contract in hand. Surprised they would have had no interest in Teague or Neufeld considering how much of a part they played with our team since.

True but that's hindsight.  In 2013 Neufeld was coming off a severe broken leg and Sherman had played only one year with 2 defensive tackles and 8 special teams tackles.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Hard to say it was idiotic to take a chance on a solid Canadian free agent receiver rather than select a guy like Sherman or Volny.

It's easy to say that in any expansion draft taking a player who is scheduled to become a free agent is idiotic.  If Vegas takes a player who is scheduled to become a FA in their expansion draft, they will be regarded as idiots.  I won't outline the reasons as they are that obvious.

20 minutes ago, mbrg said:

It's easy to say that in any expansion draft taking a player who is scheduled to become a free agent is idiotic.  If Vegas takes a player who is scheduled to become a FA in their expansion draft, they will be regarded as idiots.  I won't outline the reasons as they are that obvious.

:rolleyes: Really, it's idiotic to acquire a good player's exclusive negotiating rights for months ahead of free agency?  It was a gamble where the risk is low (you miss out on Teague Sherman) and the potential reward is high (you sign a starting Canadian receiver).

Edited by Atomic

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

:rolleyes: Really, it's idiotic to acquire a good player's exclusive negotiating rights for months ahead of free agency?  It was a gamble where the risk is low (you miss out on Teague Sherman) and the potential reward is high (you sign a starting Canadian receiver).

Yeah, why not take a few months to get in Rory Kohlert's ear about how he liked playing for a 3-15 team that gonged everyone but Marcel Bellefeuille at the end of the season?  Doesn't seem like a bad move, if you're forced to make a pick anyway.

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Carl Volny was Kito Poblah's less talented cousin.  Nuff said.

both guys had tons of talent, especially considering the strength of rookie NI crops 6 + years ago, but neither could hold up to the battering of pro football. If i could have 1 of these 2 and addison richards, healthy and the same age the last guy id take would be addison richards.  (hope he proves me wrong this year, but not holding my breath) 

Edited by wbbfan

Poblah's issues still baffle me. How can someone have a successful college career as a receiver and be projected as a pro (CFL anyway) all while not being able to catch a football? Even guys that play ball with him now have told me he has giant rocks for hands. No softness at all. Volny I can understand, getting hit by bigger guys can take you out. But Poblah is still a WTF? for me.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Poblah's issues still baffle me. How can someone have a successful college career as a receiver and be projected as a pro (CFL anyway) all while not being able to catch a football? Even guys that play ball with him now have told me he has giant rocks for hands. No softness at all. Volny I can understand, getting hit by bigger guys can take you out. But Poblah is still a WTF? for me.

This is actually hilariously true. He's not even the best receiver on the rec league touch football team he plays on and we're talking about a team full of late 20s-early 30s guys with high school experience at best. :lol:

22 hours ago, Floyd said:

I sincerely doubt we protected Carl Volny over Teague Sherman.

I still think we should have went Joe Fleming over Doug Petersen or Eric Blount as well ... ;)

We could have gotten Chad Vath much lower as well.

Edited by IC Khari

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/28/riders-lions-issued-fines-violating-cfl-laws/

Based on additional audit and CFL By-Laws governance activities conducted by the League, the following fines have been levied:

• The Saskatchewan Roughriders Football Club have been fined $31,500 for two CFL By-Laws violations which included players attending practice while on the CFL suspension list and violations related to the recruitment of a junior player.
  • The CFL has also fined Chris Jones $5,000 for meeting with Johnny Manziel’s publicist, which constitutes tampering and is in violation of CFL By-Laws. Based on evidence to date, there is nothing that concludes that Saskatchewan held any workouts involving Mr. Manziel.
  • The BC Lions Football Club have been fined $2,500 for violating the CFL By-Laws as it relates to matters concerning the contract of Adam Bighill.

League announces "NO ONE WENT OVER THE CAP"........................................................!!!!!!!!!!!  How in the actual **** could the Riders have not gone over based on their bullshit from last year??? Thankfully they did get fined over the Manziel thing...

Edited by Noeller

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/28/riders-lions-issued-fines-violating-cfl-laws/

Based on additional audit and CFL By-Laws governance activities conducted by the League, the following fines have been levied:

• The Saskatchewan Roughriders Football Club have been fined $31,500 for two CFL By-Laws violations which included players attending practice while on the CFL suspension list and violations related to the recruitment of a junior player.
  • The CFL has also fined Chris Jones $5,000 for meeting with Johnny Manziel’s publicist, which constitutes tampering and is in violation of CFL By-Laws. Based on evidence to date, there is nothing that concludes that Saskatchewan held any workouts involving Mr. Manziel.
  • The BC Lions Football Club have been fined $2,500 for violating the CFL By-Laws as it relates to matters concerning the contract of Adam Bighill.

League announces "NO ONE WENT OVER THE CAP"........................................................!!!!!!!!!!!  How in the actual **** could the Riders have not gone over based on their bullshit from last year??? Thankfully they did get fined over the Manziel thing...

How do you think they would have gone over the cap?

The whole debacle was related to the fact they were allegedly paying guys under the table.