Around The League Off Season Discussion

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Just struck me that its weird that a second rounder is holding out.

Also how much does there need to be a reset on picks and $. Ekakittie got $88,000 guaranteed, didn't JSJ get $75000 last year? Is it worth dicking over 13,000?

It is when you are singlehandedly trying to save the CFL from the madness of paying first rounders what they are worth.  All hail Corkey and his noble quest! 

48 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Just struck me that its weird that a second rounder is holding out.

Also how much does there need to be a reset on picks and $. Ekakittie got $88,000 guaranteed, didn't JSJ get $75000 last year? Is it worth dicking over 13,000?

Couture, a 10th pick last year, was signed for $75 000. This'll get interesting as Jones and Murph won't want to pay Bladek that much. 

So, Walters has signed all his DP's except the Gray flyer and the kicker returning to CIS. 

Reed has signed his entire draft class.

Jones hasn't signed a player from the draft yet.

Wow...

But Jones does have Young, Glenn, Carter and Owens... plus Muamba, Steele, Edem and Bridge (a Nat QB for criminy's sake, does he realize that passport doesn't matter for QB's?) 

For a guy that wants to have 90 players on his rolodex each week in a pre-practice roster way, he certainly is finding a way to alienate draft picks.  Top draft picks deserve cash up front, you obviously value them as such.  Its not like he has 20 of them to sign... and dragging this on now is just going to make future extensions that much more difficult...  which is great for the rest of the league.  Keep up the great work, Mr. Jones.

The logic of Jones & Murphy is mind boggling. Overpay with CFL free agents & then cheap out on draft picks trying to force them to sign for less than if they were drafted by other CFL teams. Don't know why anyone would want to play for the Riders with those 2 running the show yet there are suck... errr... players who will. Reynolds wanted things to be different this year with Jones but they won't be.

?‍?Check out the results of trades that affected this year's draft:

The Trade: 1st overall – Winnipeg Blue Bombers via Toronto Argonauts

The Pick: DL Faith Ekakatie (Iowa)

The Trade: 3rd overall – BC Lions via Montreal Alouettes

The Pick: WR Danny Vandervoort (McMaster)

Bombers - New partnership to fly youth from First Nations communities to home games this season.   ? | ow.ly/sxsp30bFOZf - incredible #cfl partnernship between @Wpg_BlueBombers and Perimeter Aviation to fly 45 First Nations youths into Bombers games this season

“A lot of this draft class, realistically, is about us looking at improving the bottom end of our roster and practice roster guys, truth be told,” said Bombers GM Kyle Walters.

“We’re willing to take some draft picks on guys we really don’t need to come in this year and help us win football games. But let’s develop them for a year and see where they’re at.”   http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/11/red-white-overhaul-upping-canadian-content/

30 days to the @CFL season! @Wpg_BlueBombers @andrewharris33 still untouchable: most missed tackles forced in last 2 years

#Ticats offensive coordinator Stef Ptaszek looks to play bigger role this season via @ScratchingPost 3downnation.com/2017/05/12/tic… #HamOnt #CFL

Derek Taylor - Another QB rated by where he throws. @MattNichols16 had his best success from the near hash to the far numbers.    #Details #Bombers

“Whether you’re from Canada, the States or wherever, it doesn’t matter. As long as you can throw the ball and think the game.” Andrew Buckley

“I enjoyed the step Andrew made last year,’’ says GM John Hufnagel. “Now I’m expecting him to better control not only his own presence on the field but also the huddle, and for him to be more consistent in his practice play  https://www.cfl.ca/2017/05/19/buckley-aims-just-canadian-quarterback/

CFL News - GM Kavis Reed against making #AlsMTL neg list public: "it would create expectations for amateurs." - @MBoulayJDM #CFL

Paul LaPolice - Paging all bomber fans, can we get the whole city out to our first practice next Sunday?  Come show the team how many great fans we have!

You might be able to hug your favorite player.  In 2012 we had over 6,000 people at the first practice of the year.  See you next week!

?‍?Another opinion on the draft...

Overall I think the Redblacks added some depth to the team and had a solid draft. As of right now, I would give this draft a solid C grade, but it could quickly become an B if they can get Ankou across the border. Grade: C.

Overall, the Alouettes did a nice job in this draft. Grade: B-.

Overall, I am really not that impressed with what the Riders did in this draft, My grade will improve if they can get Auclair on the field in a Riders jersey. Grade: D.

Overall they (Ticats) added depth on the offensive and defensive line and that is where championships in any league are won. Grade: B-.

Overall I think new Argos G.M. may have hit a home run in this draft. Grade A.

Overall I will trust that the Stamps have done a solid job with this draft because they usually do. Grade B-.

Overall Wally Buono nailed it in this draft and BC should find themselves neck and neck once again with the Stampeders. Grade: A.

Overall a nice job done here by the Bombers. Grade: A-.

Not too much splash here, but a decent job and I think the late round picks for the Eskimos could eventually make a huge impact. Grade: C+.

http://thegruelingtruth.net/football/2017-cfl-draft-grades/

YIKES, - Drew Edwards - "The East would need to win 108 straight games versus the West to even the winning percentage at .500

West Division poised for another season of dominance

The West is 322-214-2 (.600) versus the East since the 2002 season, a 15-year period of dominance.

Prospect QB Malcolm Bell - 

“I was scared that Winnipeg might not offer me another contract because I rejected the first one,” Bell says. “It was a pretty stressful process. I was praying a lot, wishing that I’d get a contract and there wasn’t another guy that got it over me.”

“Competition has always been my thing,” Bell says. “I’ve always performed strong in those types of situations"

There’s one CFL quarterback in particular that Bell compares himself to — Darian Durant, who went to the University of North Carolina just down the road from Bell in Chapel Hill.

“I have been watching him,” Bell says. “Him being from UNC and North Carolina, 15 minutes away from my school, you hear his name. He’s 5-foot-11, a shorter guy, he’s been really successful, a legendary quarterback in the CFL. Somebody that was really mobile in college and went up to the CFL and developed as a passer. I started to watch him first.” http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/05/22/new-bombers-quarterbacks-fighting-to-be-backup-to-the-backups?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BlueBombersStories+(Winnipeg+Sun+B)

CFL News   - New Orleans Saints have released former #Redblacks DB Forrest Hightower. #CFL via @DraftDiamonds

3downation

Armed with the data from two seasons of digitally monitoring 24 players as they went through daily practice, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are changing their schedules at training camp and for practices during the regular season.... the first day of practice during regular season will now be a lighter one, physically, rather than the heaviest of the week.

And in training camp, every third day will be less physical than the two before it, with emphasis on mistake correction, walk-throughs installing new plays and systems, and mandatory weightlifting. http://3downnation.com/2017/05/23/looking-avoid-injury-ticats-overhaul-training-camp-practices/

CFL News    -  Per source, the owners just passed a resolution eliminating the 75-man cutdown. So now, there'll be just one cutdown day -- 90 to 53.

So now players potentially cut from the NFL will be staying down in the US longer......ramifications for #CFL roster setting to be sure.

And finally...

Darrin Bauming  -  Kyle Walters says Mike O'Shea is the best asset to him as GM, and hiring O'Shea was the best decision he has made for the #Bombers.

Edited by Mr Dee

“I was scared that Winnipeg might not offer me another contract because I rejected the first one,” Bell says. “It was a pretty stressful process. I was praying a lot, wishing that I’d get a contract and there wasn’t another guy that got it over me.”

Interesting.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Interesting.

guess he really wants to come down and showcase himself.  I can't blame him, I seem to think the CFL is the best stepping stone back into the NFL's graces..  AFL seems pretty rare to make the jump and the other upstarts are still a ways away..

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

CFL News - GM Kavis Reed against making #AlsMTL neg list public: "it would create expectations for amateurs." - @MBoulayJDM #CFL

So I wasn't sure what to make of this statement, or what exactly Reed meant by it...

...and then approximately one hundred paragraphs later...

...we have an example on our own roster of what I think Reed was trying to say.  That releasing the neg list will give those players greater bargaining power than they might have had otherwise.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:
Prospect QB Malcolm Bell - 

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/23/ricky-foley-drawing-interest-several-teams/

Ricky Foley 'closing' in on a team... which I would assume means keeping his phone charged and his chakras aligned.

Still think he'd be great rotation with Okpo - Osh was on coaching staff while Foley was on Argos so he would know if he actually is locker room poison or not...

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

So the Riders aren't holding a Rookie camp as it would be to tough on the trainers and equipment staff to quickly transition from Regina to Stoon (where main camp is being held). Lol 

So, the very short period that rookies have to make an impression in ROOKIE Camp isn't worth the extra effort? It seems to me they could have started Rookie Camp today, in order to have more time, OR, have both camps in the SAME LOCATION. Too easy?

So, 75 players, including all rookies, plus non-counters for main camp?

They must have a really good read on their all their rookies or maybe they have their roster set already. It seems bass-ackwards to me. But hey, that's Regina!

Edited by Mr Dee