Around The League Off Season Discussion

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I seem to recall you going to the ends of the earth to defend Mike Kelly during his tenure, when a growing number of us were calling for his head throughout that season....

I also recall Mike Kelly's apparent trainwreck of a team finishing 1 win short of hosting a playoff game. It was a bad season, no doubt about it... but despite everything we were in the hunt til the end. I can hardly fault SPuDS for remaining optimistic throughout that nightmare.

I was pretty boastful about our odds back then, too. Sask fans be warned, you can be blind to what's right in front of your face... I've been there myself.

4 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I also recall Mike Kelly's apparent trainwreck of a team finishing 1 win short of hosting a playoff game. It was a bad season, no doubt about it... but despite everything we were in the hunt til the end.

IIRC, the 2009 team needed to win the last game of the season to make the playoffs and avoid the Lions from crossing over to the East.

The Bombers wouldn't have hosted a home playoff game, though. They would've still finished third in the East.

9 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

IIRC, the 2009 team needed to win the last game of the season to make the playoffs and avoid the Lions from crossing over to the East.

The Bombers wouldn't have hosted a home playoff game, though. They would've still finished third in the East.

The Bombers would have hosted. If the Bombers had won both the Bombers and Ticsts would have finished 8-10 but we would have won the season series.

17 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That game was sold out, beautiful November day.  The boat game.

Edited by Atomic

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

I think it would have depended on the score in the final game.  That game was sold out, beautiful November day.  The boat game.

No because the Bombers and Ticats played three times and had split the first 2 games.

13 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Never forget the boat!

Whenever I think of the boat and need to calm myself down I like to watch the 2011 Eastern Division Final. I find it really helps me unwind and suppress the anger.

Certainly one of the most memorable games I've attended. Garrett was a killer running back. I can't remember how he tore his achilles... I wish he could have gone on to play a lot longer.

hey not to derail, but speaking of watching old games........YouTube and the CFL have really cracked down on games that used to be posted on there. I could find pretty much any game from the last few games on YT, but pretty much everything now gone. Anyone know of a way to watch games (specifically, was hoping to watch the crazy lightning late game vs Ham from last year) ???

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

YouTube and the CFL have really cracked down on games that used to be posted on there. I could find pretty much any game from the last few games on YT, but pretty much everything now gone. 

Hopefully that's because they're getting serious about digital distribution and will be launching online streaming and archive subscriptions so I can finally cut my cable completely. But I seriously doubt that though.

Seriously CFL, I have money, and I will give you a large chunk of money to legally stream games online in Canada. **** old media.

The only thing that I know about is TSN 2 showing that '16 game package' beginning May 25th with Saskatchewan and Ottawa.

And I know the Riders are getting a disproportionate amount of games (5) that will be shown...but...they are a disproportionate fan base and they need to be coddled. Kind of like twiddlee dee twiddlee dum, but rather coddlee dee coddlee dumb...

Anyways, for future games on TSN 2:

RANK MATCHUP ORIGINAL DATE WEEK AIR DATE – TSN2
16 SASKATCHEWAN 32, OTTAWA 30 07-Oct-16 WEEK 16 May 25th @ 22:30
15 HAMILTON 39, OTTAWA 36 (OT) 21-Oct-16 WEEK 18 May 26th @ 19:30
14 BC 44, SASKATCHEWAN 6 29-Oct-16 WEEK 19 May 27th @ 19:00
13 WINNIPEG 28, SASKATCHEWAN 25 04-Sep-16 WEEK 11 May 27th @ 22:00
12 SASKATCHEWAN 26, EDMONTON 23 (OT) 18-Sep-16 WEEK 13 May 29th @ 22:30
11 HAMILTON 49, TORONTO 36 05-Sep-16 WEEK 11 June 2nd @ 19:00
10 OTTAWA 45, EDMONTON 37 (OT) 25-Jun-16 WEEK 1 June 2nd @ 22:00
9 CALGARY 44, BC 41 (OT) 29-Jul-16 WEEK 6 June 4th @ 16:00
8 CALGARY 26, OTTAWA 26 (OT) 08-Jul-16  WEEK 3 June 5th @ 19:00
7 BC 40, OTTAWA 33 01-Oct-16 WEEK 15 June 6th @ 20:30
6 EDMONTON 39, SASKATCHEWAN 36 (OT) 08-Jul-16 WEEK 3 June 7th @ 20:00
5 OTTAWA 35, EDMONTON 23 20-Nov-16 EASTERN FINAL June 10th @ 15:00
4 HAMILTON 37, EDMONTON 31 23-Jul-16 WEEK 5 June 12th @ 19:00
3 CALGARY 36, WINNIPEG 34 24-Sep-16 WEEK 14 June 13th @ 19:30
2 BC 32, WINNIPEG 31 13-Nov-16 WESTERN SEMI-FINAL June 14th @ 19:00
1 OTTAWA 39, CALGARY 33 (OT) 27-Nov-16 104TH GREY CUP June 21st @ 19:30

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

The Bombers would have hosted. If the Bombers had won both the Bombers and Ticsts would have finished 8-10 but we would have won the season series.

Right you are. Forgot about that part.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

That game was sold out, beautiful November day.  The boat game.

Everything but the football game itself was pretty good. Oh, and the boat. :lol:

3 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I also recall Mike Kelly's apparent trainwreck of a team finishing 1 win short of hosting a playoff game. It was a bad season, no doubt about it... but despite everything we were in the hunt til the end.

Irrelevant.  Totally irrelevant.

I can look past the losing record.  I can look past the bad coaching.  I can look past the bad personnel decisions.  I can look past the jet package.  I can look past trying to take every snap from under center.  I can look past the massive ego issues.

What I will not look past or gloss over is the way he threw people under the bus left and right to cover for his incompetence and bad choices.  I will not look past or gloss over the snide and denigrating remarks he made about people who have given more to this league than he ever will.  I will not look past or gloss over the generally awful way he treated people he deemed no longer relevant.

He behaved like a grade A tool from start to finish.  Zero class.  He could have gone 11-7 and it would not have mattered to me.  That's an unacceptable, garbage way to conduct yourself when you're representing no one but yourself.  He was behaving that way while representing my team.  That's a thousand times worse.

Edited by mbrg

10 hours ago, mbrg said:

Irrelevant.  Totally irrelevant.

I can look past the losing record.  I can look past the bad coaching.  I can look past the bad personnel decisions.  I can look past the jet package.  I can look past trying to take every snap from under center.  I can look past the massive ego issues.

What I will not look past or gloss over is the way he threw people under the bus left and right to cover for his incompetence and bad choices.  I will not look past or gloss over the snide and denigrating remarks he made about people who have given more to this league than he ever will.  I will not look past or gloss over the generally awful way he treated people he deemed no longer relevant.

He behaved like a grade A tool from start to finish.  Zero class.  He could have gone 11-7 and it would not have mattered to me.  That's an unacceptable, garbage way to conduct yourself when you're representing no one but yourself.  He was behaving that way while representing my team.  That's a thousand times worse.

I think there were very few people on the Bomber forums who voiced their dislike of Mike Kelly more than I did, and you pretty much nailed it as to why. A Grade A jerk.

10 hours ago, mbrg said:

I don't know if I can let that one slide... ;)

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

hey not to derail, but speaking of watching old games........YouTube and the CFL have really cracked down on games that used to be posted on there. I could find pretty much any game from the last few games on YT, but pretty much everything now gone. Anyone know of a way to watch games (specifically, was hoping to watch the crazy lightning late game vs Ham from last year) ???

Dang, when did this happen? I just watched the banjo bowl on youtube a couple weeks back. I PVR'd the lighning game last year and watch occasionally (5-10 times over the winter). Opened up a can of whoop-ass on Hamilton in the first half.

Hopefully the games re-emerge somewhere online.

32 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Dang, when did this happen? I just watched the banjo bowl on youtube a couple weeks back. I PVR'd the lighning game last year and watch occasionally (5-10 times over the winter). Opened up a can of whoop-ass on Hamilton in the first half.

Hopefully the games re-emerge somewhere online.

Just this past weekend. I went to watch a game on sunday morning (which i love doing before the kids get up and while I'm drinking my coffee). And it was gone. Had to settle for a bombers vs redblacks game which was synced with the redblacks radio broadcast. Wasn't horrible. But wasn't the same.

21 hours ago, Mike said:

No, you're confused. That's why they haven't signed their draft picks. They aren't holding a rookie camp because Carm Carteri did a heel turn and retired after taking bonus money because they're trying to reset the market for signing first year players without Justin Dunk doing garbage reporting on it.

I think.

You have to throw in today's revelation that the Als are cheaters because they released some players and the Riders would be fined for doing that. lmao

22 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

You have to throw in today's revelation that the Als are cheaters because they released some players and the Riders would be fined for doing that. lmao

You mean this one?

I heard Mtl cut 7 or 8 players today, not your normal cuts, like RB Rutley, First round pick from 2 years ago Jacob Ruby and 2 0r 3 others who are starting calibre  - IF Mtl re-adds all or most of these players in a few days it would appear to me they did this so they could evaluate extra players. Since the league fined us for extra players I wonder what the league office will do when these players get added back in a few days

are you cheating Kavis? - What say You?

I can't find this reported anywhere else so I call BS on it. #ParanoidDelusionalRiderfans.

9 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

You mean this one?

I can't find this reported anywhere else so I call BS on it. #ParanoidDelusionalRiderfans.

Yeah if the als had cut Rutley it would be noticed somewhere. he's a decent enough player that it would make a twitter feed somewhere.

Scribblings...

Wally Buono on the Stamps

“John and Dave have done a great job building their team, building their nucleus and you’ve got to be factual and say ‘if you can’t beat the best, then you’re not going to be the best’. We competed at certain points but at the end it wasn’t good enough.”

I think when you look at all the Western teams, they’ve all made moves to improve their football clubs,” he added. “The West is always very, very, very competitive and I don’t believe this year it’ll be any different.

Justin Dunk - Per sources, the diminutive Brandon Banks has agreed to a re-worked contract that will see him take a $50,000 pay cut in the final year of his deal.

CFL Headlines 

Calgary Stampeders ink final unsigned player from 2017 CFL draft - Tunde Adeleke

With a surprise retirement from Karl Lavoie and a Canadian draft that didn’t net the Stamps a top-flight lineman this spring, the team has made a move with Smith, who has spent the majority of his first three seasons on defence. He’s now permanently switching from No. 90 to 69, signifying his move over to guard.

?‍?Plenty of signings and activity all over the CFL as rookies report to camp to try and learn and earn a CFL roster spot. Lots of interest from all the respective team's fans and plenty of noise being made in anticipation in every city....except for Edmonton And Reg?ina...

Upcoming important dates-

June 6, 2017 — Pre-season opens

The first game of 2017 kicks off with pre-season action between the BC Lions and Calgary Stampeders. Every team will play two pre-season games between June 6 and June 16.

June 17, 2017 — CFL rosters reduced to 46
Following a vote to eliminate the mid-camp cut-down date, expect a flurry of activity on June 17 as clubs must reduce their roster to 46 active players, excluding those on the 6-game injured list and those transferred to the one-game injured list, by 10:00 p.m. ET.

June 22 – 2017 Regular season kicks off

The season kicks off in Montreal as Duron Carter, Kevin Glenn and the Riders take on their former team and quarterback in the Als and Darian Durant.

Farhan Laljii  - Wally says Nick Moore will be a full go from day 1 of camp. They'll evaluate Chris Williams on the weekend & make a decision. #BCLions #CFL

Bob Irving - Bomber rookie camp. Bunch of guys running around?

BC Lions

17– amount of mini-camp attendees that played at NCAA Division 1 colleges. A true testament to the scouting prowess south of the border by Rigmaiden.

Calgary Stampeders

“We’re going to come back and we’re going to be a better team and we’re not going to make the same mistakes twice."

?‍?Bombers have Faith. Riders have hope that charity will be shown by their draftees...

Rod Pedersen  -  I've gone on record as predicting a 10-win season and stand by that. CFL-types from across the league have scoffed, "Who are they going to beat?" but my reply is, "That's why they play the games". The Riders are going into the season with a quiet confidence about them and Jones' staff feels this will be a breakthrough year.

6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Rod Pedersen  -  I've gone on record as predicting a 10-win season and stand by that. CFL-types from across the league have scoffed, "Who are they going to beat?" but my reply is, "That's why they play the games". The Riders are going into the season with a quiet confidence about them and Jones' staff feels this will be a breakthrough year.

Such excellent football writing, this guy makes money for writing this stuff.

A couple of gems:

-but my reply is, "That's why they play the games"

-The Riders are going into the season with a quiet confidence about them