Around The League Off Season Discussion

I don't have any clue why anyone thinks a Kevin Glenn/Vince Young combination is going to be a plus .500 team.

I can't even deny it - the rest of their roster looks pretty good. I like a lot of their pieces. Their receivers are ridiculous, they've got a stud DE in Willie Jefferson, I like the looks of their OL for the most part and I think their secondary will surprise people.

But they don't have a ****ing quarterback and that's really not something you can discount at all. On top of that, they don't have a stud RB to take any pressure off their mediocre QBs either.

They're going to be dead in the water. I see them winning 6 games at most.

13 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Scribblings...

Wally Buono on the Stamps

“John and Dave have done a great job building their team, building their nucleus and you’ve got to be factual and say ‘if you can’t beat the best, then you’re not going to be the best’. We competed at certain points but at the end it wasn’t good enough.”

I think when you look at all the Western teams, they’ve all made moves to improve their football clubs,” he added. “The West is always very, very, very competitive and I don’t believe this year it’ll be any different.

Justin Dunk - Per sources, the diminutive Brandon Banks has agreed to a re-worked contract that will see him take a $50,000 pay cut in the final year of his deal.

CFL Headlines 

Calgary Stampeders ink final unsigned player from 2017 CFL draft - Tunde Adeleke

With a surprise retirement from Karl Lavoie and a Canadian draft that didn’t net the Stamps a top-flight lineman this spring, the team has made a move with Smith, who has spent the majority of his first three seasons on defence. He’s now permanently switching from No. 90 to 69, signifying his move over to guard.

?‍?Plenty of signings and activity all over the CFL as rookies report to camp to try and learn and earn a CFL roster spot. Lots of interest from all the respective team's fans and plenty of noise being made in anticipation in every city....except for Edmonton And Reg?ina...

Upcoming important dates-

June 6, 2017 — Pre-season opens

The first game of 2017 kicks off with pre-season action between the BC Lions and Calgary Stampeders. Every team will play two pre-season games between June 6 and June 16.

June 17, 2017 — CFL rosters reduced to 46
Following a vote to eliminate the mid-camp cut-down date, expect a flurry of activity on June 17 as clubs must reduce their roster to 46 active players, excluding those on the 6-game injured list and those transferred to the one-game injured list, by 10:00 p.m. ET.

June 22 – 2017 Regular season kicks off

The season kicks off in Montreal as Duron Carter, Kevin Glenn and the Riders take on their former team and quarterback in the Als and Darian Durant.

Farhan Laljii  - Wally says Nick Moore will be a full go from day 1 of camp. They'll evaluate Chris Williams on the weekend & make a decision. #BCLions #CFL

Bob Irving - Bomber rookie camp. Bunch of guys running around?

BC Lions

17– amount of mini-camp attendees that played at NCAA Division 1 colleges. A true testament to the scouting prowess south of the border by Rigmaiden.

Calgary Stampeders

“We’re going to come back and we’re going to be a better team and we’re not going to make the same mistakes twice."

?‍?Bombers have Faith. Riders have hope that charity will be shown by their draftees...

Rod Pedersen  -  I've gone on record as predicting a 10-win season and stand by that. CFL-types from across the league have scoffed, "Who are they going to beat?" but my reply is, "That's why they play the games". The Riders are going into the season with a quiet confidence about them and Jones' staff feels this will be a breakthrough year.

The two 55 yard lines. Must be the same guy who painted the Chefs in the end zone.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't have any clue why anyone thinks a Kevin Glenn/Vince Young combination is going to be a plus .500 team.

I can't even deny it - the rest of their roster looks pretty good. I like a lot of their pieces. Their receivers are ridiculous, they've got a stud DE in Willie Jefferson, I like the looks of their OL for the most part and I think their secondary will surprise people.

But they don't have a ****ing quarterback and that's really not something you can discount at all. On top of that, they don't have a stud RB to take any pressure off their mediocre QBs either.

Glenn is serviceable. If he is surrounded by talent he can carry them. However, he can't go out & win games solely on his own. Big question mark for the Riders is the offensive line. Dennis is a huge improvement but it's not enough. I'm not even factoring Vince Young into the equation as I'm certain that if he starts, he'll be a bust.

and their linebackers are all new starters save for Henoc, but I don't think he is waht he was anymore.

Two new starting corners this year as well...there's going to be some learning curves and bumps over first 8 games and I think seeing them go 2-6 is being generous...1-6 most likely and wouldn't sunrise me to see an 0-8 start

That Defence I think is gonna get lit up a lot..and often early on

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Glenn is serviceable. If he is surrounded by talent he can carry them. However, he can't go out & win games solely on his own. Big question mark for the Riders is the offensive line. Dennis is a huge improvement but it's not enough. I'm not even factoring Vince Young into the equation as I'm certain that if he starts, he'll be a bust.

plus you know Jones is the type of guy to make his starting qb a scapegoat if things don't go well and we all know how well Glenn deals with adversity. 

Glenn is serviceable and their receivers are great. The OL should be better than it was last year, so I expect that they will be able to put more points on the board this year, which should mean more wins. Enough to make the playoffs? I doubt it, but enough to show progress which MAY save Jones.

59 minutes ago, Mike said:

Glenn playing the entire season could give them 6-7 wins, IMO. A Glenn-led offense in Riderville this season looks not too dissimilar (on paper, anyway) from last year's Alouettes' offense, not to mention he's also a year older. The Riders' backfield is certainly a question mark as well, but I do like the addition of Cam Marshall. It goes without saying but the health of their O-line will be crucial.

Defensively, they have some nice pieces and I think that'll be the team's relative strength. Losing Cox hurts them, though.

6-12 seems realistic, 8-10 seems optimistic. As long as they go 0-3 vs. the blue and gold. ;)

Edited by blue_gold_84

From Environment Canada:

1:37 AM CST Thursday 25 May 2017
Weather advisory in effect for:

• City of Saskatoon

An unstable airmass located within an area of low pressure combined with localized areas of convergence will allow for continued thunderstorm development this afternoon. As these thunderstorms develop, conditions will be favourable for funnel clouds.

These types of funnel clouds are generated by weak rotation under rapidly growing clouds or weak thunderstorms. This weak rotation is normally not a danger near the ground. However, there is a chance that this rotation could intensify and become a weak landspout tornado.

So windbag Chris Jones has arrived in Saskatoon for Riders TC.

Edited by Jacquie

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Scribblings...

Wally Buono on the Stamps

“John and Dave have done a great job building their team, building their nucleus and you’ve got to be factual and say ‘if you can’t beat the best, then you’re not going to be the best’. We competed at certain points but at the end it wasn’t good enough.”

I think when you look at all the Western teams, they’ve all made moves to improve their football clubs,” he added. “The West is always very, very, very competitive and I don’t believe this year it’ll be any different.

Justin Dunk - Per sources, the diminutive Brandon Banks has agreed to a re-worked contract that will see him take a $50,000 pay cut in the final year of his deal.

CFL Headlines 

Calgary Stampeders ink final unsigned player from 2017 CFL draft - Tunde Adeleke

With a surprise retirement from Karl Lavoie and a Canadian draft that didn’t net the Stamps a top-flight lineman this spring, the team has made a move with Smith, who has spent the majority of his first three seasons on defence. He’s now permanently switching from No. 90 to 69, signifying his move over to guard.

I'm sure Mr. Smith will enjoy 69 more.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

They're stacked at receiver for sure. I think they have pretty big question marks everywhere else though.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

If the Riders improve by 100% they still wouldn't have enough wins to make the playoffs in the west.  In order to secure a spot in the west you have to beat the west teams.....consistently.  The Riders are 2-18 against the west over the past 2 seasons; and while they have improved in certain spots so have the rest of the western teams.  So I ask, where will the wins come from against the eastern teams with KG as QB, and if he goes down or craps the bed an old has-been that hasn't played in 6 freakin' years. 

QB, RB, Oline, DB's are all ????. 

Edited by lyin' guy