Around The League Off Season Discussion

Wow, that was really easy, and it was already in this thread:

On 2/21/2017 at 3:10 PM, mbrg said:

First things first, love the analysis Derek Taylor is doing.  Not sure how he gets his numbers, if he has a single source, if he's going over the tape from every game played last year or teams are providing him with this, but no matter.  It's great.

Second, using those numbers at face value (which oddly enough weren't always whole numbers when the math was done, maybe some borderline passes were counted as half interceptable?) and calculating through, this would be the 2016 percentage of interceptable balls per total passes thrown:

Cato - 7.7%

Masoli - 5.4%

Burris - 4.9%

Ray - 4.5%

Jennings - 4.3%

Willy - 4.2%

Glenn - 4.1%

Nichols - 3.6%

Durant - 3.4%

Collaros - 3.2%

Mitchell - 2.5%

Reilly - 2.2%

Harris - 2.1%

Apologies for the lack of fancy colours and formatting.

So Cato is both the luckiest and the worst.

8 hours ago, mbrg said:

Wow, that was really easy, and it was already in this thread:

Wonder if there is a stat for interceptions that were bobbles by the receiver? I'm thinking of 2-3 balls last season that passed directly through Kohlert's hands and into the hands of a defender. Clearly not Nichols problem. But a major reason why Kohlert is no longer with Bombers.

8 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

It makes it look like Nichols had a pile more balls that could be pick off than Riley but it's only one more pass could be pick off that was. So if Nichols was the most unlucky quarter back in the league he would of thrown 12 int.

Considering the dog's breakfast Nichols had for receivers last season, he did remarkably well. That said, I hope one of the quarterback candidates really pushes him for the starting job.

And another one:

Canadian safety Marc-Olivier Brouillette has retired, per sources.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders signed Brouillette as free agent in February, hoping he could serve as a starter at safety and give the team some much-needed ratio flexibility.

Drafted 23rd overall by Montreal in the 2010 CFL Draft, the 31-year-old Brouillette has played in 102 games and made 64 starts in his seven seasons with the Alouettes. He started all 18 games last season making 33 defensive tackles, three special teams tackles and registering one interception while being named an East all-star.

Brouillette has a law degree and sources say he’s now going to pursue a legal career. He also has a history of concussions and once said he’d retire if he suffered another one.

The Montreal Carabins product received a signing bonus when he inked his deal with the Riders but sources say he is intending to return the money to the team.

The timing could certainly be better as the Riders are set to open training camp on Sunday in Saskatoon.

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/27/eve-training-camp-riders-safety-marc-olivier-brouillette-retires/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JustinDunk3downnation+(3+Down+Nation-Justin+Dunk+)

You can hear the watermelons exploding from here.

8 hours ago, tracker said:

Considering the dog's breakfast Nichols had for receivers last season, he did remarkably well. That said, I hope one of the quarterback candidates really pushes him for the starting job.

I wouldnt call the group of wrs we had a dogs breakfast. One of our better wr cores in the past fist full of years. Now the offensive system id call that a dogs breakfast. All those short passes also gives us a high floor and low ceiling on our WRs. 

Nichols certainly threw a bunch of passes that could and should have been picked. he also had a couple picks thanks to wrs. Our offense cant toss balls at defenders, our wrs cant volleyball passes to defenders, and it cant disappear for a half of football at a time this year. Nichols deserves as much blame for all that as he does credit for winning last year. 

If our offense played every down like the 4th quarter / last half of the 4th quarter we might have one of the best offenses in the league. If we played like most of our 2nd/3rd quarters wed be in trouble and lots of it.

Being soo conservative in our passing attack doesnt leave us a big margin for error. Especially if we dont set the world on fire with all the turn overs again from our D.

44 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Being soo conservative in our passing attack doesnt leave us a big margin for error. Especially if we dont set the world on fire with all the turn overs again from our D.

Lapo gonna Lapo. Guy is conservative to a fault unless he's behind and time is running out and he has no choice but to open things up. He really needs to adapt and learn when it's OK to take a chance and when it's OK to play it safe. Sometimes you want to keep your foot on a teams throat and not let them up off the mat. 

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo gonna Lapo. Guy is conservative to a fault unless he's behind and time is running out and he has no choice but to open things up. He really needs to adapt and learn when it's OK to take a chance and when it's OK to play it safe. Sometimes you want to keep your foot on a teams throat and not let them up off the mat. 

For sure. But its not just that, our use of DIs and forgetting harris for extended periods of time is a problem too. 

54 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

LaPo has the best kicker in the league backing him, without Medlock I think the offence would strive for more creativity but as it is they are happy to accumulate wins the easiest way.  Can't blame 'em, they all like job security.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

LaPo has the best kicker in the league backing him, without Medlock I think the offence would strive for more creativity but as it is they are happy to accumulate wins the easiest way.  Can't blame 'em, they all like job security.

If it wasnt for medlock i dont think plop would have a job. Maybe the whole coaching staff. I love medlock as much as any one but I really feel nervous about counting on a kicker to follow up a record setting year with the same kind of performance. 

There's no way that Dyakowski is traded for Armanti Edwards unless something is wrong...

That being said, Argos probably not going with 2 NI REC...  would be great to see Walters snag one of Jones, Noel or Coombs...