Around The League Off Season Discussion

On 11/30/2016 at 9:11 AM, Noeller said:

Here's a "What If...": What if Franklin says "I want to be a starter..." and they really believe in him......and they deal Reilly instead? The guy hasn't exactly been the picture of health....if they really believe Franklin is going to be a superstar, it's not the craziest thought ever....

Reilly is a franchise qb. He had had a few injuries but seemed fairly healthy this past season. I think he is the face of the Eskimos. That would be a shocking event if he was traded to another team. Speaking of teams, when will the Argos make the move at head coach &/or GM? They've had nearly a month to figure out what they should do. I thought Milanovich would have been gone by Wednesday. 

10 hours ago, Zontar said:

Somebody in internet universe exploits this then pretends to to be saddened and then turns it into anti-gun, anti-everything sermon in 5...4...3

Of course. Just another unarmed black guy shot by a panicked, gun-carrying  white guy without provocation. Nothing to see here. Move along...

Just now, tracker said:

Of course. Just another unarmed black guy shot by a panicked, gun-carrying  white guy without provocation. Nothing to see here. Move along...

Way to keep it classy guys (@Zontar as well). A man was just killed, have some decency. Condolences to his family friends and coworkers.

Things change quickly in the football world, when they change this way it puts everything back into perspective. RIP Mcknight.

14 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Riders RB Joe McKnight shot dead in an apparent road rage incident. Terrible news. RIP.

It absolutely baffles me that a "road rage incident" would escalate to a shooting... just a sad and terrible situation...

Edited by bearpants

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

It absolutely baffles me that a "road rage incident" would escalate to a shooting... just a sad and terrible situation...

You have no idea of the fear and rancor that so many Americans live in. A friend goes to west Texas to a gated community in the winter and has neighbours who strap on a gun to walk 200 meters to the store inside the fenced area.

I just read this on NFL.com... unless I'm reading this wrong, I can't understand what is going on here:

"Ronald Gasser, 54, was at the scene and told deputies he shot McKnight, Normand said. Gasser was not arrested, but he was taken into custody for questioning. Gasser was released overnight and not formally charged..."

This sounds like he's admitting to committing the crime, yet they don't press charges? Seems odd? I am reading that wrong?

23 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I just read this on NFL.com... unless I'm reading this wrong, I can't understand what is going on here:

"Ronald Gasser, 54, was at the scene and told deputies he shot McKnight, Normand said. Gasser was not arrested, but he was taken into custody for questioning. Gasser was released overnight and not formally charged..."

This sounds like he's admitting to committing the crime, yet they don't press charges? Seems odd? I am reading that wrong?

The criminal code in the US is not like here in Canada- it varies from state to state, and many states have laws that state a killing is justified if the killer believed he/she was under threat, or like Texas if your livelihood (tools, vehicle etc) is at risk.

Edited by tracker

57 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Sounds like the guy has been released...

http://www.wwltv.com/news/crime/suspect-in-shooting-death-of-joe-mcknight-released/361982921

Ronald Gasser, the suspect in the shooting death of Joe McKnight has been released, according to Jefferson Parish spokesman Colonel John Fortunato.

Gasser has not been charged as of this time, though the matter remains under investigation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/joe-mcknight-shooter-released-charged-article-1.2895977

'Gasser then stood over the victim and barked, “I told you don’t you (expletive) with me,” before firing a final shot.'

Sounds legit to me.

It's outrageous how the race hustlers and social justice types will exploit this justified and noble act of self-defence to further deepen the racial divide in the USA. They are the problem!

Edited by johnzo

Louisiana has the "Stand your Ground" law. It sounds like that may be why the shooter was released. But if the witness's claims are accurate how can you claim self defense when the victim was unarmed and apologizing, then after shooting him down proceed to stand over him, talk @#$& and shoot twice more? That's an execution plain and simple. I really hope the investigation isn't over. This is so wrong. 

There are at least 2 stories in this one. The police are likely waiting for the forensic evidence to verify which story or stories are viable. If the shooter actually stood over the victim and pumped a couple of shots into him, then it should be pretty evident in an autopsy.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/joe-mcknight-shooter-released-charged-article-1.2895977

'Gasser then stood over the victim and barked, “I told you don’t you (expletive) with me,” before firing a final shot.'

IF this is true (remember that's a big IF, we all know how sensationalist the media can be)... and this guy is able to just walk away (for now)... what a terrible and disgusting injustice...

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

IF this is true (remember that's a big IF, we all know how sensationalist the media can be)... and this guy is able to just walk away (for now)... what a terrible and disgusting injustice...

yeah but he didn't just walk away, police know who he is and if they decide that charges are warranted it'll be easy enough to find him and nail him to the wall. 

No biggie.

Gonna step away from this conversation, I think that ultimately yogi and tburg have it right ... hot takes aren't super helpful right now and that hopefully forensic evidence will clarify what happened.  But I am super cynical about all of this -- about whether this was a "justified" shooting and about whether justice will be served if it wasn't. 

Respects and condolences to McKnight's family, friends, and teammates.

Edited by johnzo

A spokesman for the cops disputes the report from the witness that he stood over McKnight and shot him. He seems to imply that Gasser shot from his driver seat through his open passenger window at McKnight while he was in his own vehicle. That's a big difference from eyewitnesses. And doesn't really look any better to be honest. But the investigation is ongoing.