Around The League Off Season Discussion

Reading Young's wikipedia article, damn there is some baggage there, and a bunch of mediocre numbers in the NFL.  Add in five years out of football to dull his instincts, him not being in game shape ... and this has big dud written all over it.

Wonder if they'll use him as a wildcat runner?  Ease him in as a change-of-pace QB?  If he's got any giddy-up at all maybe he can push some CFL LBs around, but then the Riders' interior OL is pretty weak, probably not great to run behind.

I think the best scenario for Kevin Glenn is to be #2 out of camp and then pick up the pieces when Young flames out.  Otherwise, if he hits any kinda rough patch, the calls for Young are gonna be deafening.

I remember when the Ottawa Rough Riders parachuted Andre Ware (another Leigh Steinberg guy) in to save the franchise.  The first game he dressed, the Riders' starter (was it Sammy Garza?) was stinking it out, the whole crowd started chanting WE WANT WARE.  And eventually Ware went in, scored a touchdown off a turnover / short field, and that was his brightest moment in the CFL.

Edited by johnzo

This VY signing is guaranteed to be a circus and it'll be so much fun to watch.

Watched Vince Young for many years (Titans fan), and I highly doubt time out of football has magically made him a better player. Would have been a great CFL player if he wasn't 34, out of shape, and had actually played football at any time recently.

The only thing that worries me is that all logic says this will go horribly for the Riders. Why is that a problem, Jimmy? Because how often does sports follow all logic?

I just hope, nay pray, that this all goes how we all think it will.

Regina, the Riders and their fans especially deserve a season that mirrors our opening of IGF.

The 61-year-old head coach will make north of $600,000 annually on his three-year deal with the Argos, per sources.

Head coaches in the CFL generally earn in the $275,000 to $400,000 range while those with a dual general manager-head coach title can expect a salary in excess of $500,000. For Trestman to be among the top-paid executives in the CFL while solely a head coach is likely to garner attention around the league.