Around The League Off Season Discussion

36 minutes ago, mbrg said:

And by using "encapsulate" in a post I realize I have waived all rights to not be punched in the junk.

In all honesty I believe this usage was alluded to in an earlier post, but going forward, I think we can let this one pass, since it was part of the process of arriving at concensus on the issue at hand.

Edited by Mark F

Based on the transactions to date who rises, who falls in the standings:

East - Durant will make the Alouettes a contender again .... will see what Calvillo can do to keep hin uporight .... don't know how much the management coaching team is going to help or hurt but I suspect the latter

Hamilton lost a lot in free agency and does not seem to have a plan to change their status quo ... still Austin must have something up his sleeve ..... If Collaros is healthy all year maybe the Cats take a run at first

Ottawa has been on wheels the last two years and maybe one is about to fall off .... salary capp you know .... pass and catch game is on  a definite down tick ... best legacy so first or second still likely but third is a real possibility

In Toronto we will see QB management that will make a huge difference on the Trestman team .... will have a much better record but no cigar this year

Edited by BigBlue

West

Calgary just keeps doing everything right ... no signs of a crack anywhere .... best management in the league .... their QB decisions is where some type of fault may show up

Edmonton hasn't been plagued by a player Exodus to Jones ... a lot of shuffling but nothing I can see that will change life much for them .... in a 2 or 3 way fight for 2nd, again .... anybody see differently?

Huge loss of US personnel is Wally's challenge but he is a recruiting machine ... may be some early season weakness but am guessing will pick up momentum as the season progresses ... will surprise on resiliency

Regina will likely improve on D but the offence looks like it will be a sorting out disaster all year .... Jones's ego is not enough to fuel the boat and the water won't rise put of the basement

Is MOS short for Moses and our quest for the promised land? I think we are better than last year but no where near the dynasty building stage ... a cup in 2018 more likely than 2017 ... should be more fun than last year .... maybe MOS just needs to grow his beard longer

Edited by BigBlue

17 hours ago, Rich said:

Why would you not consider it a real stat?

82% tells you how many field goals they made vs attempts.  My understanding of points above expected is it takes into account the distance (or difficulty) of the field goals attempted and made.

I don't quite understand this stat... so if a kicker lines up for a 50-yarder, would that be considered "not expected to make" so if he makes it he would be 3 point above expected?.... then does it consider weather and wind too?... wouldn't someone technically have to review almost every kick all season and make a judgement on if it is expected or not?... 

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I don't quite understand this stat... so if a kicker lines up for a 50-yarder, would that be considered "not expected to make" so if he makes it he would be 3 point above expected?.... then does it consider weather and wind too?... wouldn't someone technically have to review almost every kick all season and make a judgement on if it is expected or not?... 

It could potentially take into account all of those things and that is part of the problem with the way Dunk reports these numbers.  All I've ever seen from him is pictures of portions of his spreadsheets that he sends out on Twitter without explanations as to what numbers go into them, or what his methodology is.

The NFL sites that track and post these analytics at least define and tell you what and how they are calculating things.

Here is a sample from an NFL analytics site:

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2012/01/temperature-and-field-goals.html

FGaccuracybytemperature-1.png

FGSuccessbywind.png

What you would basically do is compare the league average of each kick for a kicker based on down, distance, (maybe temperature / wind speed) and see if overall they are making more or less then league average on each kick then add all of those up for their overall number.

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Former Bombers DB Johnny Adams signs with Esks...

good for adams, I always liked him, but I think his play got a little too inconsistent with us towards the end of his time here. 

What does our starting secondary look like atm,  Randle/Frederick/Loffler/Heath/Roberts?

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

good for adams, I always liked him, but I think his play got a little too inconsistent with up towards the end of his time here. 

What does our starting secondary look like atm,  Randle/Frederick/Loffler/Heath/Roberts?

bruce johnson with frederick on corner/ Roberts and fogg needing to take some ones spot with one probably fogg being the extra db on paper going into camp. 

The vast majority of nose candy dealers are users who have turned to retailing to pay for their own habit and then have found out how lucrative it can be. Jordan was the author of his own misfortune but I feel most for his parents. Willard was/is a good guy but this is a parent's nightmare.