Around The League Off Season Discussion

Well that loss stung last night. Not happy with the decision to kick the FG but that can be discussed elsewhere :) All in all there was a lot of improvement this year over last year and looking like they are trending upwards. If Walters can pull off another great draft and some more key FAs this offseason I like our chances going into 2017. Who is on the FA watch list and what areas are we in desperate need of fixing?

One of the top Free Agents I would like us to pursue would be... Orlando Steinauer.

Will Steinauer get consideration for Argo HC, if it became available? Would the Bombers dump Hall if they could bring in Steinauer? Would Steinauer now consider the Bombers a good organization with some stability at the top and a HC with a new multi year contract?

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Is Hall not at the end of his contract or does he have another year? 

I believe only Lapo had a contract that extended beyond MOS's. There is no way the Bombers would have signed Hall to a contract longer than MOS had left on his deal. They had to do that to bring Lapo in, because he wasn't going to give up his TSN gig without some security.

36 minutes ago, mbrg said:

1 and 6.  Both Ottawa and Edmonton have worse records than us, so whomever is eliminated next week will also pick before us.  But still nice.

Really, is that how it works??? Shouldn't both of those teams pick after us due to going deeper in the playoffs?

Are we really undersized?  I would say that our front 7 are actually about average. 

The only one who may be considered undersized may be Wild. 

I looked at the 6 playoff teams and did an average at each position, for a quick comparison.

Westerman 6'3 249
Cummings 6'3 298
Shologan 6'2 295
Cole 6'3 242
Wild 6'0 215
Bass 6'0 224
Leggett 5'11 192

Average
DE 248
DT 291
WIL 224
MLB  228
SAM 195

The reason I made that comment is because there were numerous discussions about our front 7 being undersized back in the Etcheverry days... the myth that our guys were undersized was debunked back then and now we have a bigger front 7... you could almost make the case we have over-sized DEs... 

so I'm legitimately wondering if he was making a joke about a previous argument... or just ignorant...

Even with all the turnovers - it's hard not to look at the late game collapses by the D, especially to top tier teams like Calgary and BC.  Prevent D and/or soft coverage meant that we also saw opposing offences drive the entire field from goal line to goal line way too many times.  

Would love to see Steinauer or Thorpe here.

• 2 weeks later...

What's going to be the first domino to fall this offseason?

http://3downnation.com/2016/11/28/drew-dunked-changes-offing/

I still don't see how Lapo would be considered for a head coaching job, and how would he like to go to Toronto? I thought I heard that he was pushing for the change from Willy to Nichols. How would he like to go somewhere where Willy is his starting QB again...

1 hour ago, Dr. Blue said:

What's going to be the first domino to fall this offseason?

http://3downnation.com/2016/11/28/drew-dunked-changes-offing/

I still don't see how Lapo would be considered for a head coaching job, and how would he like to go to Toronto? I thought I heard that he was pushing for the change from Willy to Nichols. How would he like to go somewhere where Willy is his starting QB again...

HC is a premium gig in the CFL... only 9 men ever hold that title at one time... LaPo is (rumored to be) chomping at the bit to be an HC again... I don't think a bad QB will stop him from passing up an opportunity...

I don't think Lapo deserves a HC job. We fell into the GC once (and got blown out as we all know) in his tenure on the backs of an amazing defence for 9 games,  but otherwise the team generally sucked.

He runs a decent offence, but it's not like his first year back he took the league by storm or anything - we still had an average to below average offence. I just don't see the love, and I think he's perfectly content in his role as OC/Assistant HC. Lapo wants to be in Winnipeg, and I think he envisions himself HC of the Bombers again in waiting the same way Dickenson was in Calgary. I don't particularly believe it's the right thing to do, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lapo was the Bombers HC again one day. 

Edited by Judd

5 hours ago, bearpants said:

HC is a premium gig in the CFL... only 9 men ever hold that title at one time... LaPo is (rumored to be) chomping at the bit to be an HC again... I don't think a bad QB will stop him from passing up an opportunity...

Lose Lapo to Toronto for a HC position and we sign Milanovich. It's a win win!