Next .... What changes will bring a Championship?

BigBlue

Championship clubs are not  built by accident. It takes tough courageous patient decision making. Without wisdom and conviction we end with mediocrity and frustration.

We are not going to win a championship by standing pat.

[1] What bigger fundamental structural changes do we need to make to improve this ball club? 

[2] What small nuanced changes do we need to make to go from good to very good?

[3] Do we have any glaring weaknesses that have to be overcome?

First a championship, then a dynasty ...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Lol! @ firing O'Shea.....awesome. 

Are you surprised by those comments. Every loss it's always Fire MOS.  People wonder why people stay away from here at times.... people repeating MOS needs to go after every loss? How many times can people say it before people just say screw it... I'm done here. 

1. I don't think we need a big fundamental change

2. The nuanced changes we need are some skilled size at receiver, even better if its a Canuck. Another DE to compliment Westerman. I might replace Sholo with Thomas. 

3. We have no consistent deep threat, our contain on rushing QBs must improve, and we need more press and thight coverage on receivers. We need to get a better MLB. Bass was a bit out of his element here. I think that Nichols has earned a new contract, but that doesn't mean that they should not keep on looking out for the future QB.

I'm not sure that a complete overhaul needs to be done on defense, schematically.... but I hate that we give receivers all day to work... somebody jam a goddamn receiver at the line, throw off their route... I'm sick of see opposing teams run their offense with no resistance...

Need an upgrade at D Line, Linebackers, and another big receiver. Gurley may fit the receiver role if he's back for training camp.

All of the teams in the playoffs right now are better that we are at these positions. Pressure on the QB and stopping the run seem to be areas where an  upgrade could move us to the next level.

a reliable deep threat receiver would be killer. someone who can go up and get the ball consistently and then we do need more pressure up front on D. 

I do wonder if Ritchie Hall is the man to build the kind of defense we need though. I just don't think a bend but don't break D is the answer in the CFL anymore. I would much rather have the swaggerville type D where the mantra is "we won't bend and we're going to break you"

49 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I do wonder if Ritchie Hall is the man to build the kind of defense we need though.

Do you think the head coach has no input or oversight on the kind of defence/offence the team runs?

I doubt that very much.

Choices are

1. O'Shea approves of Hall's defensive approach;

2. O'Shea lets Hall do whatever he wants, and has no input.

take your pick.

.....Not saying I don't think Hall is any good, or the defence is not good.

Edited by Mark F

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Do you think the head coach has no input or oversight on the kind of defence/offence the team runs?

I doubt that very much.

Choices are

1. O'Shea approves of Hall's defensive approach;

2. O'Shea lets Hall do whatever he wants, and has no input.

take your pick.

.....Not saying I don't think Hall is any good, or the defence is not good.

we have seen that Mike O'Shea trusts his coordinators to do his job. It's not that he has no input, it's that once he hires someone he trusts them to get the results he wants. I just have listened to how O'Shea talks about more aggressive defenses and you can tell he has an admiration for them. 

Have to re examine out offensive and defensive systems. Its going to be hard to win a championship when both facets of the game are soo passive. 

Have to bring in front 7 guys to push what we have. Out side of mo and healthy wild the front 7 really under performed. I think its also a system thing.

Bring in some NI wr talent. The combo of JFG and kohlert had a poor year. JFG showed flashes at times, but hes done that since hes been here and never sustained any level of production.

Need to solidify the QB position. As of the end of the year we have none under contract. I think nichols and bennett will be back. But in that case we need a back up that can come in and win games. Like glenn. 

Have to get away from the old boys club. Having guys start despite better talent behind them. Anointing starters before camp, not having a real position battle.

Also need to bring in guys to back up the rookies that performed big. Weve seen too many one year wonders, have to insulate our self in case of set backs.

Other then that, tie up the hoggies long term. Continue to bring in BPA NIs in the draft. Bring back and commit to developing guys like butcher. 

Edited by wbbfan