US Politics

Rich

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Sure, let's do the Quran now.

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

C'mon you can't find a light & breezy quote to support Muslim refugees sneaking into this country??? Just the bible?? #sunnyways

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Trump is continuing to ramp up the rhetoric, threatening to deport any undocumented immigrant that has a criminal record.  Inevitably the increasing level of threats directed towards specific immigrant populations will turn the current trickle of refugees seeking asylum in Canada into a flood by early summer.  Couldn't imagine a worse neighbour, they know the collateral effect of their policies and they don't give a damn.  Our problem, is part of their convenient solution.  It's akin to running a sewer pipe onto your neighbours property to dispose of your fecal matter.

I hope Trudeau has the balls to stuff a billion dollar invoice into Trump's cake hole and kick him in the nuts after this all plays out, cause you, I, and KBF are going to be the ones paying the bill.

“What we are going to do is get the people that are criminal and have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers, where a lot of these people, probably 2 million, it could be even 3 million, we are getting them out of our country or we are going to incarcerate,” Trump told "60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl, according to a preview of the interview released by CBS. “But we’re getting them out of our country. They’re here illegally.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/13/donald-trump-plans-to-immediately-deport-2-to-3-million-undocumented-immigrants/?utm_term=.8689e47ba96f

10 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Trump is continuing to ramp up the rhetoric, threatening to deport any undocumented immigrant that has a criminal record.  Inevitably the increasing level of threats directed towards specific immigrant populations will turn the current trickle of refugees seeking asylum in Canada into a flood by early summer.  Couldn't imagine a worse neighbour, they know the collateral effect of their policies and they don't give a damn.  Our problem, is part of their convenient solution.  It's akin to running a sewer pipe onto your neighbours property to dispose of your fecal matter.

I hope Trudeau has the balls to stuff a billion dollar invoice into Trump's cake hole and kick him in the nuts after this all plays out, cause you, I, and KBF are going to be the ones paying the bill.

“What we are going to do is get the people that are criminal and have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers, where a lot of these people, probably 2 million, it could be even 3 million, we are getting them out of our country or we are going to incarcerate,” Trump told "60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl, according to a preview of the interview released by CBS. “But we’re getting them out of our country. They’re here illegally.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/13/donald-trump-plans-to-immediately-deport-2-to-3-million-undocumented-immigrants/?utm_term=.8689e47ba96f

Trudeau says all are welcome. Great.  It shouldn't be that way but what do you expect from a progressive snowflake like him? Yeah, I'd be telling Trump we're just going to send all these people back along with a bill for each "refugee" being processed as they set foot first in his country. Trump shouldn't be beaking off about the Australians when he does it a hundred thousand times worse.

On 2/18/2017 at 10:47 AM, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes, very astute.  Especially since this is the first time, in history, that a sitting president has attacked, shunned and vilified media sources that disagreed with him and his policies...oh wait...

“You don’t get to tell us what to do any more than Barack Obama did,” Wallace said after continued arguments with Priebus. “Barack Obama whined about Fox News all the time, but I got to say, he never said that we were an enemy of the people.”

- Chris Wallace, Fox News anchor.

18 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

May as well make it retroactive.  Send refugee bills to Obama and Bush as well.  

This is like the Underground Railroad all over again.

55 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

May as well make it retroactive.  Send refugee bills to Obama and Bush as well.  

This is like the Underground Railroad all over again.

Really?  You're comparing the history of Black Americans, who were kidnapped from their homeland or born into slavery, with illegal immigrants who willingly sneak into America and then have the audacity to commit crimes?

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Really?  You're comparing the history of Black Americans, who were kidnapped from their homeland or born into slavery, with illegal immigrants who willingly sneak into America and then have the audacity to commit crimes?

Oh sure. They all snuck in, all committed crimes, and now they're all seeking asylum in Canada.

And yes, it was illegal to be an escaped slave; they came to Canada as refugees. 

History repeating itself...

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Oh sure. They all snuck in, all committed crimes, and now they're all seeking asylum in Canada.

And yes, it was illegal to be an escaped slave; they came to Canada as refugees. 

History repeating itself...

So illegal immigrants with criminal records did not sneak in and commit crimes?  Read the post you quoted.

“What we are going to do is get the people that are criminal and have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers, where a lot of these people, probably 2 million, it could be even 3 million, we are getting them out of our country or we are going to incarcerate,” Trump told "60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl, according to a preview of the interview released by CBS. “But we’re getting them out of our country. They’re here illegally.”

How did they get in, if not illegally?  How do they have criminal records, if they have not committed crimes?  You're going to compare their crimes to being an escaped slave?  What a joke.  That's an embarrassment and offensive to the history of black Americans.

24 minutes ago, Atomic said:

So illegal immigrants with criminal records did not sneak in and commit crimes?  Read the post you quoted.

“What we are going to do is get the people that are criminal and have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers, where a lot of these people, probably 2 million, it could be even 3 million, we are getting them out of our country or we are going to incarcerate,” Trump told "60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl, according to a preview of the interview released by CBS. “But we’re getting them out of our country. They’re here illegally.”

How did they get in, if not illegally?  How do they have criminal records, if they have not committed crimes?  You're going to compare their crimes to being an escaped slave?  What a joke.  That's an embarrassment and offensive to the history of black Americans.

In the mid 19th century context, escaped slaves were considered criminals by the US government. Agreeing with the rhetoric of that post and implying that refugees are criminals  is an insult to refugees who come here and earn an honest living. Do you really believe 2 - 3 million criminals will be moving into Canada and Mexico? That the people who came to Manitoba this past week seeking asylum are criminals? 

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

In the mid 19th century context, escaped slaves were considered criminals by the US government. Agreeing with the rhetoric of that post and implying that refugees are criminals  is an insult to refugees who come here and earn an honest living. Do you really believe 2 - 3 million criminals will be moving into Canada and Mexico? That the people who came to Manitoba this past week seeking asylum are criminals? 

HI Mark H. ..... article about some  research (have not read the research paper)

In an office at U of T’s Centre of Criminology, overlooking the Ontario legislature in Queen’s Park, Dinovitzer and Levi explain their findings. The overall rate of what they called “youthful illegalities” — drinking, taking drugs, petty theft, vandalism, fighting, and so on — was significantly lower in the immigrant-rich 1999 cohort, and in both groups immigrant kids were less likely than their peers to engage in delinquent behaviour. Also, as Sampson had discovered, the disinclination to commit crime extended across all nationalities; it didn’t matter whether a teenager’s family was from India or Trinidad or China. Specific cultural values were not at play; nor could behaviour be chalked up to a given ethnic group’s parenting style (sorry, Tiger Moms). “[The model minority] has been a fetish of a lot of the media,” Dinovitzer says. “They want to focus on the good Korean kids, or some other group. Our study unequivocally shows there’s no difference between these immigrant groups.” However, second generation immigrant kids (defined in this study as having been born in Canada or at least having arrived here before age six) were more likely than first generation immigrants (having arrived past the age of twelve) to get into fights, take drugs, vandalize, or steal. In other words, the newer the immigrant, the better behaved he or she was.

The U of T study, which was published in 2009, shortly after Sampson’s findings, has done a great deal to validate the theory that immigration decreases crime. And the case is only getting stronger: Statistics Canada has now released findings from a spatial analysis of crime data in Canadian cities that suggest the percentage of recent immigrants in various regions of Toronto and Montreal is inversely proportional to all types of violent crime;

https://www.cifar.ca/assets/arrival-of-the-fittest-canadas-crime-rate-is-dropping-as-immigration-increases-is-there-a-connection/

Edited by Mark F
edited

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

He wasn't talking about refugees in the quoted post and neither was I.  Quit moving the goalposts.

3 minutes ago, do or die said:

When is Trump going to go to Florida and clean up that Cuban thing?

You meant like this person?

Luis Clemente Faustino Posada Carriles (born February 15, 1928)  is a Cuban exile militant and former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) agent. He is considered a terrorist by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Government of Cuba, among others; he is widely considered responsible for the bombing of Cubana flight 455, which killed 73 people. He was a long-time member of the Coordination of United Revolutionary Organizations,] described by the FBI as "an anti-Castro terrorist umbrella organization.

He currently resides in Miami.

he might be a terrorist, but he's our terrorist.

20 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Merely drawing parallels 

No you aren't.  Just admit that you misunderstood the original post and what I was responding to.  Illegal immigrants with criminal records are NOT the same thing as refugees.  It's two separate issues and I believe they should be dealt with in different ways.  Don't try to twist my argument to be about refugees when it's about illegal immigrants with criminal records.

GOP lawmaker invokes Gabby Giffords in concerns about town hall safety

At first, I was; "Yeah, that makes sense- it's smart to have those concerns and should maybe take some precautions". Then I found out Rep. Louie Gohmert is not going to do a town hall in person because of Gabby Giffords incident... What a ******* coward. Good response from Mrs. Giffords though.

Giffords issued a response to Gohmert Thursday, rebuking his decision not to meet with constituents in person.

"To the politicians who have abandoned their civic obligations, I say this: Have some courage. Face your constituents. Hold town halls," said Giffords in a statement.

She added: "I was shot on a Saturday morning. By Monday morning my offices were open to the public. Ron Barber -- at my side that Saturday, who was shot multiple times, then elected to Congress in my stead -- held town halls. It's what the people deserve in a representative."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/politics/louie-gohmert-gabby-giffords/index.html

A few Republican legislators....are feeling the heat these days.    Some of them are attempting to deflect or simply run away.....

Concepts like "Repeal ObamaCare", "Build a Wall",  "Make America safe" etc.......are nice soundbites - but there are effects and consequences for people who pay taxes and need medical coverage.    Also areas with sizeable racial groups and immigrant populations have their own questions about what the Repubs, really have in mind.

Some of the grassroots.... are probably beginning to suspect....... that they have been had.  

I thought Policies were produced to fit intelligence reports. Here is what is happening, here is what we need to do about it. 

So, if I understand correctly- intelligence reports are being asked to be manufactured in order to support policy that is based on ideology... a conclusion in search of evidence. That is frightening.

White House effort to justify travel ban causes growing concern for some intelligence officials

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump has assigned the Department of Homeland Security, working with the Justice Department, to help build the legal case for its temporary travel ban on individuals from seven countries, a senior White House official tells CNN.

Other Trump administration sources tell CNN that this is an assignment that has caused concern among some administration intelligence officials, who see the White House charge as the politicization of intelligence -- the notion of a conclusion in search of evidence to support it after being blocked by the courts. Still others in the intelligence community disagree with the conclusion and are finding their work disparaged by their own department.
"DHS and DOJ are working on an intelligence report that will demonstrate that the security threat for these seven countries is substantial and that these seven countries have all been exporters of terrorism into the United States," the senior White House official told CNN. "The situation has gotten more dangerous in recent years, and more broadly, the refugee program has been a major incubator for terrorism."

More here

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

3 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I thought Policies were produced to fit intelligence reports. Here is what is happening, here is what we need to do about it. 

So, if I understand correctly- intelligence reports are being asked to be manufactured in order to support policy that is based on ideology... a conclusion in search of evidence. That is frightening.

Wow this is a totally new occurrence!  Intelligence has never been manipulated for political reasons, nope never.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/9937516/Iraq-war-the-greatest-intelligence-failure-in-living-memory.html

It wasn't a intelligence failure in any way, shape or form.   

The "patriots" around ole straw man Dubya,.....like Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz pushed and pushed, until they got what they wanted, alright - advance their particular brand of right wing ideology, under the guise of bringing "democracy" to the Iraqi people...and feathering their own nests, at the same time., in a completely unjustified and illegal war. 

Forged documents, misinformation to the legislative branch, phony NSA briefings, muzzling of concerned military men, and flat out lying in every direction.....whatever it took to get the job done - dragging America into a useless war and disastrous occupation.   The ringmaster was **** Cheney.

Bunch of war criminals, pure and simple. 

People still don't understand just how dangerous these neo-conservative types can be, given enough power and influence........

Edited by do or die