US Politics

Rich

Ill post some quotes from the article because its a pretty common sense look at things.  Many of us probably were thinking the same watching this craziness while polticians and a lot of media walked the line in not saying what is really happening

Party or country? The Republicans choose a side.

Trump is being investigated for treason, confirmed the FBI. And still, the GOP lawmakers kept shamelessly asking about leaks.

Close observers of the ongoing scandal were not expecting much drama. The hearing was open to the public, and given the sensitive nature of the issue, it seemed unlikely that either Comey or Rogers would be able to say anything of particular interest. And the Republican Chair, Devin Nunes, had signaled he had no intention of allowing this investigation to focus on the Trump administration. Nunes has complained the real crimes are the constant drip of leaks that have kept this story in the news for months. Nonetheless, not only was there drama, but history was made.

Comey began his testimony by confirming, for the first time, that the FBI is conducting a criminal investigation into whether the sitting President of the United States colluded with a foreign power to influence the outcome of the election.

the implications were clear, and even after all these months of headlines and conjecture, they were astounding: For the first time in American history, the President is being investigated for treason.

Treason is a shocking word. It has not been thrown around much as this Russian scandal has grown, and for good reason. But conspiring with a foreign power to influence a U.S. election must surely fall within the definition of “giving comfort to her enemies”. And when Clinton’s former campaign manager Robby Mook used it today, saying “If U.S. campaign aides helped the Russians, knew about the Russians plans, or asked the Russians to intervene in any way, they should be prosecuted for treason…” it was hard to disagree.

It is also hard to imagine all these aides acted coincidentally, without any guidance, given that the one thing they all have in common was their direct line of reporting to the candidate, Donald Trump. Is it possible an over zealous campaign surrogate, like Roger Stone, decided on his own to communicate with the hacker who stole emails from the Democratic Party? Absolutely. But at the same time that Paul Manafort altered the Republican policy platform to the benefit of Moscow? And when Carter Page and Mike Flynn were meeting with the Russian Ambassador? It is too much to believe all of them reached out to Moscow on their own accord. If Trump’s aides are accused of treason, then he must be too.

The overwhelming majority of their questions throughout the five hour hearing was focused on the leaks about the investigation, and not on the investigation itself. Gowdy seemed almost in tears at one point as he tried to comprehend why anyone would be so malicious as to leak proof Mike Flynn had lied about his contacts with the Russian ambassador. The Republicans made it clear they were less worried about the Russian scandal, and more upset that anyone had found out about it.

The choice these congressmen made today, to protect the interests of Russia and Republicans and not to defend the interests of America and democracy, will be long remembered, and history will not be kind.

Then:

Now:

The powerful first daughter has secured her own office on the West Wing’s second floor — a space next to senior adviser Dina Powell, who was recently promoted to a position on the National Security Council. She is also in the process of obtaining a security clearance and is set to receive government-issued communications devices this week.

Rex Tillerson has said he did not want to be US secretary of state and only took the job because his wife convinced him to do it.

The former ExxonMobil oil executive revealed his initial reluctance in an interview published after a controversial trip to Asia and hours before the biggest event of his two months at the state department, an international meeting on Wednesday about how to fight Islamic State (Isis).

“I didn’t want this job. I didn’t seek this job,” Tillerson told the Independent Journal Review (IJR), in an interview conducted on his official plane during the three-nation Asia trip. “My wife told me I’m supposed to do this.

his wife, Renda St Clair, shook her finger in his face and said: “I told you God’s not through with you.”

“I think the Tillerson statement (North Korea) is empty rhetoric. … (It) sounds good, but (there is) nothing there,” said Jeffrey Lewis, an arms control expert with the Center for Nonproliferation Studies at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in California.

“The general thinking in D.C. is that Tillerson is an empty suit,” he said.

Indeed, some observers now argue Tillerson may have much less influence on the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump than his predecessors at the State Department.

“Tillerson has … been absent for most of Trump’s meetings with visiting leaders. He likewise does not seem to be playing a central role in the few foreign-policy decisions that the Trump administration has made,” Robert Jervis, a professor of international politics at Columbia University in New York, wrote in a March 10 article for Foreign Poli

nuclear clock ticking loud.

This guy has a problem

"WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, secretly worked for a Russian billionaire to advance the interests of Russian President Vladimir Putin a decade ago.  The work appears to contradict assertions by the Trump administration and Manafort himself that he never worked for Russian interests.

Manafort proposed in a confidential strategy plan as early as June 2005 that he would influence politics, business dealings and news coverage inside the United States, Europe and the former Soviet republics to benefit the Putin government.  Manafort pitched the plans to Russian aluminum magnate Oleg Deripaska, a close Putin ally with whom Manafort eventually signed a $10 million annual contract beginning in 2006, according to interviews with several people familiar with payments to Manafort and business records obtained by the AP."

Edited by Mark F
add something

4 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Then:

Now:

Unbelievable isn't it?  The response to criticism will be "all politicians lie".  Come on.  This is a strategy of deception.  They say whatever they want knowing its utter bullshit knowing people dont care.  Well, people do care given his horrendous approval ratings but Trump is only speaking to the people that only believe him.  And I imagine his people keep him in the bubble where the feedback is always positive.

There are other issues with this.  What is Ivanka's job?  They get around the nepotism act by saying she wont take a salary or have a title.  So what is her job?  And oh she wont be subject to certain rules but she'll voluntarily adhere to them...sure.

Have been posting in response... to lies by Trump and his administration.    Now realize that it is literally a 24/7 job.  

No longer a question of simply exposing the lie of the day, but actually having to select the most outrageous one.... from a pack of them.   

We now have Republicans of every stripe, resembling pretzels and clothes dryers, in trying to justify this stuff.

FDR's 100 Days.....this aint.  But it may go down in history, anyways....

24 minutes ago, do or die said:

Have been posting in response... to lies by Trump and his administration.    Now realize that it is literally a 24/7 job.  

No longer a question of simply exposing the lie of the day, but actually having to select the most outrageous one.... from a pack of them.   

We now have Republicans of every stripe, resembling pretzels and clothes dryers, in trying to justify this stuff.

FDR's 100 Days.....this aint.  But it may go down in history, anyways....

When the head of the FBI testifies that there is an active investigation of collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia and in response Trump tweets that Comey just said there is not collusion, the rules are thrown out. Trump is a shameless liar.  And he's used to people bending over backward for him.  Must be driving him nuts that he cant just steamroll his way around.

The Republicans who are walking the tightrope right now...watch Paul Ryan answer these questions on CNN and its clear he's trying to be both united in party & President but also wants deniability when the inevitable happens...at some point critical mass might push these Republicans to jump off the Trump train before it completely derails. 

Trump will never be impeached.  He will claim he succeeded and resign first.  But that wont necessarily stop these investigations.  If Trump colluded with Russia...he's going to jail.  Unless his VP pardons him in an act of self immolation.  My conspiracy twist is that something happens to Pence and he's replaced by Kushner...

Trump is making Nixon look like Lincoln.

17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

When the head of the FBI testifies that there is an active investigation of collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia and in response Trump tweets that Comey just said there is not collusion, the rules are thrown out. Trump is a shameless liar.  And he's used to people bending over backward for him.  Must be driving him nuts that he cant just steamroll his way around.

The Republicans who are walking the tightrope right now...watch Paul Ryan answer these questions on CNN and its clear he's trying to be both united in party & President but also wants deniability when the inevitable happens...at some point critical mass might push these Republicans to jump off the Trump train before it completely derails. 

Trump will never be impeached.  He will claim he succeeded and resign first.  But that wont necessarily stop these investigations.  If Trump colluded with Russia...he's going to jail.  Unless his VP pardons him in an act of self immolation.  My conspiracy twist is that something happens to Pence and he's replaced by Kushner...

Trump is making Nixon look like Lincoln.

(Insert name, group, organization etc here) are/were just as bad or even worse. 

1 minute ago, do or die said:

Didn't see any quotation marks, in that statement........this is serious stuff.   

The quotes stupidity is one of my favourite lies because they pretend Trump never tweeted about wire taps *without* quotes...but he did,  Its very much like dealing with kids. 

I like the stories that leak out about Trump's aids having to cheer him up and pump up his ego and stuff.  And ofcourse the idea that the issue is not Trump collusion with Russia but that its being leaked.  Why so mad about "leaks" of untrue things?  How can you "leak" something that is untrue.  Thats not a leak, its a lie.  The fact they are so angry about "leaks" exposes it as true.

Trump in prison would be something!

Check out the Wall Street Journal's editorial on Trump, today.   

WSJ is a somewhat right wing entity, given its ties to the financial and big business universe - they had taken the line that at least, Trump would be "good for business"

Well, they have absolutely unloaded on him, as being in danger of being regarded as a "fake President"

“His seemingly endless stream of exaggerations, evidence-free accusations, implausible denials and other falsehoods,” 

“The president clings to his assertion like a drunk to an empty gin bottle, rolling out his press spokesman to make more dubious claims,”.

Edited by do or die

17 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Did you hear the Dems had a lunch meeting and Bernie got mustard on his shirt?  Now that's a real scandal!

The Republicans and associated media have spent eight years playing defence.  The only thing they know how to do is "But Obama!" and "Her emails!"

Now, suddenly, they have to try to move the ball. Look at the AHCA, the flailing Repeal Obamacare legislation. They've got no playbook, they've got a QB who is despised by his OL, and the head coach is an idiot they hired from some message board, and he'd rather tweet and watch Sportscenter than run a practice.

Edited by johnzo

9 minutes ago, johnzo said:

The Republicans and associated media have spent eight years playing defence.  The only thing they know how to do is "But Obama!" and "Her emails!"

Now, suddenly, they have to try to move the ball. Look at the AHCA, the flailing Repeal Obamacare legislation. They've got no playbook, they've got a QB who is despised by his OL, and the head coach is an idiot hired off the street who'd rather tweet and watch Sportscenter than run a practice.

Yup. And all their demands that Hilary be thrown in jail and how can a person be president when they are under investigation etc is coming home to roost. 

Oh and remember when Spicer lied about Manafort's involvement with the campaign?  Here's why he lied:

when the indictments come, how many will take bullets for Donald?

16 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Now, suddenly, they have to try to move the ball. Look at the AHCA, the flailing Repeal Obamacare legislation. They've got no playbook, they've got a QB who is despised by his OL, and the head coach is an idiot hired off the street who'd rather tweet and watch Sportscenter than run a practice.

Ok, yes this administration is acting like one that has no political experience, and of course, the top guy is a spoiled man-child.  But that being said, something had to be done about the failing Obama-care.  It wasn't working.  I asked my friend (the same one who voted for Trump because of the Democrats ignoring illegal immigration) about Obama-care, and what the problems are in her mind.  Here's her response:

Okay, I can only tell you what I have seen first hand. :)
First, it is not "affordable". And second, "If you like you Dr. You can keep your Dr." was nothing but baloney. Pretty much everything that was said before it was put into place was a fib. (Also, I saw someone in this thread say something about the Republicans not letting Obama go in and fix it once there were problems. That was NOT the Republicans. It was the LAW. You cannot pass a bill into law and then go in and change things. Ever.)

My daughter was working a job, making 10 bucks an hour. Her "affordable" health care cost over 500 dollars a month. By the time that was taken out, she paid rent, utilities etc. she had very little money left for frivolous things like food.
She was told she could call the Washington state exchange and they could adjust it for her. I don't remember how many times she had to try to call before she was finally helped by someone. She was told it could be lowered but she would have to go to Tonasket to talk to someone. So she drove the 15+ miles to her appt. She got her health care cost reduced by about 300 dollars BUT, if she needs to go to the hospital she can't go to Tonasket, because they won't accept this plan. She'll have to go to Omak, which is 30 miles away. So pass a perfectly good hospital and go another 15 miles or so. She asked if there wasn't some way that could be changed? Well yes, but you'll have to pay more to be able to go the nearest hospital. [icon_lol2.gif] So with a little help from her loving family she is paying the extra. :)
Then she needed her eyes checked. She called and asked them if an eye exam was covered. Yes, it is. So she gets that. No problem. She is told she needs new glasses. She calls to see if that is covered. Yes, it is. She calls again later just to make sure, she is told the glasses are covered. She orders them. When she goes to pick them up and hands them the insurance card she is told, "I'm sorry, we can't take that." So she was out 200 dollars she hadn't planned on.
I haven't asked her what her deductible is, but from what I have heard/read they are very high.
Anyway, that's what I know. Other than also knowing that several states have already dropped it because it was going broke

So something had to be done, in my view, and in the view of actual voting Americans who were unhappy with the system they had.  Will the Republicans fix it?  We shall see.  It's a bit early yet to judge though, isn't it?

Im not sure about Obamacare.  Its certainly relevant though.  Oh look, Spicer wont answer if there are agents of foreign governments working within the admin.  Anyway, Obamacare...

We all know know how this will go.  Trump's last ditch slight of hand will be a military strike.  His people already invent false terrorist attacks to push their agenda.  Whats even better than a fake attack is a real one...

Trump makes all the crazy conspiracy rumors about W seem plausible.

Providers not taking your insurance is a problem for a lot of people in the USA, not just people who are buying individual coverage through the exchanges.

I'm working in the tech field, have got prettty decent insurance and I still have to pick and choose providers based on who'll take my insurance, and I've had to fight with my insurance company to cover stuff.  For me, it's an inconvenience and a pain but I can certainly see this being a way bigger problem out in the sticks.

Were things better for your friend before Obamacare? Does she think that Trumpcare will make things better for her?