US Politics

Rich

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 0:01 PM, johnzo said:

Providers not taking your insurance is a problem for a lot of people in the USA, not just people who are buying individual coverage through the exchanges.

I'm working in the tech field, have got prettty decent insurance and I still have to pick and choose providers based on who'll take my insurance, and I've had to fight with my insurance company to cover stuff.  For me, it's an inconvenience and a pain but I can certainly see this being a way bigger problem out in the sticks.

Were things better for your friend before Obamacare? Does she think that Trumpcare will make things better for her?

I will ask her.

So, no vote today and Trump has given the House an ultimatum, as he is "finished with negotiations" about the health care package.  

7 years, 62 repeal motions in the House, while running their mouths non-stop, about repealing Obamacare and replacing it with something "better"    After all that.....scrambling around with this half baked plan is the best they could do?   With a majority in the House, Senate and holding the Presidency?  

As I predicted, folks in the WH already making statements about the poor job Ryan is doing - even before the vote.    Designated scapegoat.   Unless it goes through, then the Bigly Orange will of course, take the credit.   

On 22/03/2017 at 0:39 PM, The Unknown Poster said:
Is trumps wife involved in a business that requires her to live apart from him?  Doesn't she stay at Trump Tower while Trump splits between White House and Florida?  Weird

The reason they've given for her staying in New York is so their son can finish the school year there. They are supposedly moving to the White House in June. And they go to Florida with Trump for the weekends.

On 22/03/2017 at 1:45 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Ok, yes this administration is acting like one that has no political experience, and of course, the top guy is a spoiled man-child.  But that being said, something had to be done about the failing Obama-care.  It wasn't working.  I asked my friend (the same one who voted for Trump because of the Democrats ignoring illegal immigration) about Obama-care, and what the problems are in her mind.  Here's her response:

So something had to be done, in my view, and in the view of actual voting Americans who were unhappy with the system they had.  Will the Republicans fix it?  We shall see.  It's a bit early yet to judge though, isn't it?

What state does your friend and her daughter live in? From what I've read the states that didn't expand Medicaid are the ones with higher rates.

Obamacare wasn't failing. It's certainly not perfect but it wasn't failing.  If Trumpcare goes through I think your friend will be wishing to have Obamacare back especially if the talked about removal of "essential health benefits" that the so-called Freedom Caucus wants happens.

Edited by Jacquie

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — Siding with the Second Amendment rights of North Dakota citizens' over others' concerns about safety, Republican Gov. Doug Burgum signed legislation that would allow most adults to carry a hidden firearm without a permit.

The legislation signed late Thursday means North Dakota will become one of about a dozen so-called "constitutional carry" states on Aug. 1. The bill would allow law-abiding people 18 and older to forgo background checks and classes that are now required. The legislation only requires someone carrying a concealed weapon to have a valid ID and notify law enforcement of the weapon during instances such as a traffic stop.

Supporters said the bill promotes the constitutional right to bear arms and allows protection from criminals. Critics worry it could lead to more shootings as people with less training would be carrying weapons.

The bill was among a package of gun-rights measures being considered this session, including allowing people with concealed carry permits to have guns in churches, schools and other public places. It's unclear if Burgum, an avid hunter, would also sign those into law.

The number of concealed carry permits in North Dakota has more than doubled in the past five years to 48,700.

Cause Obama is going to steal all the guns.

50,0000 people packing a pistol? No background checks needed?

They used to be so nice.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Jacquie said:

The reason they've given for her staying in New York is so their son can finish the school year there. They are supposedly moving to the White House in June. And they go to Florida with Trump for the weekends.

What state does your friend and her daughter live in? From what I've read the states that didn't expand Medicaid are the ones with higher rates.

Obamacare wasn't failing. It's certainly not perfect but it wasn't failing.  If Trumpcare goes through I think your friend will be wishing to have Obamacare back especially if the talked about removal of "essential health benefits" that the so-called Freedom Caucus wants happens.

She lives in Washington State.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

When the **** hits the fan and 50% of people have a gun and 50% of people don't..... what side would you rather be on?

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a large man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you. 

You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. 

What do you do? 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Democrat's Answer: 

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! 

Does the man look poor! Or oppressed? 

Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? 

Could we run away? 

What does my wife think? What about the kids? 

Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? 

What does the law say about this situation? 

Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? 

Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children? 

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? 

Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? 

If I were to grab his knees and hold on , could my family get away while he was stabbing me? 

Should I call 9-1-1 ? 

Why is this street so deserted? 

We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior. 
This is all so confusing! 

I need to discuss with some friends over a latte and try to come to a consensus. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Republican's Answer: 

BANG! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Redneck's Answer: 

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click.... 
(sounds of reloading) 

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click 

Daughter: 'Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?' 

Son: 'You got him, Pop! Can I shoot the next one?' 

Wife: 'You are not taking that to the taxidermist ! 

Silly premise.  Guy with knife comes at you so you pull out your gun.  The far right gun nuts would be appalled that a guy would have a knife to begin win.  Guy comes at you with an assault rifle.  Good luck with you pistol.  Doesnt even come at you, picks you off from a distance.  But that pistol will make you feel safe before the back of your head blows off.

If you're in the middle of a gun fight you wont wish you also had a gun, you'll will you had gun control so you werent in the middle of a gun fight to begin with.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Silly premise.  Guy with knife comes at you so you pull out your gun.  The far right gun nuts would be appalled that a guy would have a knife to begin win.  Guy comes at you with an assault rifle.  Good luck with you pistol.  Doesnt even come at you, picks you off from a distance.  But that pistol will make you feel safe before the back of your head blows off.

If you're in the middle of a gun fight you wont wish you also had a gun, you'll will you had gun control so you werent in the middle of a gun fight to begin with.

Yeah I'm sure the Muslims getting gunned down in Quebec were thanking their lucky stars we have gun control in Canada

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Yeah I'm sure the Muslims getting gunned down in Quebec were thanking their lucky stars we have gun control in Canada

Again, silly premise.  Do the people getting mowed down by cars wish they had bigger cars?   I've been shot at once and a second time a guy went into his trunk I thought it was a gun (fortunately just a nail-studded bat). Neither time did I wish I had a gun.  I wished (and hoped) the other guy didnt.

More and more guns.  Bigger and bigger gun.  Never solves the problem.  Someone wanting to kill you is not going to be dissuaded because some nuts also carry guns.  In many of these cases, the end game is suicide anyway.  They wouldnt care.  All it does is arm MORE people and lead to more gun violence. 

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And mix into that formula the easy access to alcohol and drugs, rising addictions and untreated mental health issues. 

Maybe we should look at why North Americans have more "mental health issues" than any other society on earth