US Politics

Rich

9 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

The beginning of the end.

There's a long road ahead.  Giant investigation with dozens of players, many of whom are foreign nationals.  It's gonna take time.  Of course, anything could happen. Trump could get spooked and resign, the pee tape could emerge, a genuine national emergency makes people rally round the president, etc.  But I think we're in for a long haul with fewer juicy leaks, as potential leakers find an audience with the FBI instead of the media.

Like Winston Churchill once said:

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

(Yeah, Atomic, in addition to being a communist stooge and an fascist sympathizer, I'll also quote a British Tory hero when I need to make a point. Complicated!)

12 hours ago, johnzo said:

(Yeah, Atomic, in addition to being a communist stooge and an fascist sympathizer, I'll also quote a British Tory hero when I need to make a point. Complicated!)

You're right it is complicated.... stay in your lane!

Trump went on record:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/donald-trump-comey-denial/index.html

Washington (CNN)At a joint news conference with Colombian President Juan Manual Santos Thursday, President Donald Trump was asked a very simple question: Had he urged then-FBI Director James Comey to slow or stop an FBI investigation into deposed national security adviser Michael Flynn?

"No. No. Next question," Trump responded.
It was over in a flash. But in those four words, Trump staked the viability of his presidency.

Why? Because he directly contradicted the reporting around a memo that Comey had written in the wake of a February 14 meeting in which Trump told him to see if he could find a way to end the Flynn investigation, The New York Times first reported and CNN confirmed.
Both of those things can't be true.

The key would be to able to speak to someone in the Trump administration..... who has not told a pack of lies....

Ok, that is..... somebody other than:

Trump, Pence, Sessions, Nunes, Priebus, Chaffetz, Fynn, Ryan.......

....to say nothing of poor ole Spicer, Kellyanne and Jeffrey Lord, who have to regurgitate this stuff publicly....

Any one see the root of the problem here?

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

Have I missed a firing, or has Kellyanne Conway simply disappeared from anything Trump related?

I believe she made some appearances this week.  I know for sure she was scheduled to do Fox when the Special Counsel news broke and she cancelled.  I think Trump blamed her for some of the bad press as she comes across really unbelievable at times.

There was a report that during the campaign, when she'd do media, she'd get all your points across and when the cameras were off, she'd joke that she can barely stomach what she's saying.  Hard to imagine thats true but I suppose some off the record banter would be the norm.

If speculation turns out to be true that Manafort and Flynn will soon be indicted, all bets are off.  You have to wonder if either would flip.  And if its even needed.  Trump has made so many mistakes because of his ego.

The deputy Attorney General admitted he knew of Flynn's imminent firing before he wrote the memo recommending it.  The White House tried to place the blame on the DAG and then Trump just could not anyone else get "credit" for his actions so he openly admitted he was going to do it and it was related to the Russia investigation.  He admitted to obstructing justice.

Revealing he might have tapes was a boneheaded move because you can bet someone somewhere is going to subpoena them eventually.  And God help him if they have been altered or disappear.

Pence is trying to distance himself because he knows he's the next President. 

Would anyone be shocked if Trump fired Pence eventually, trying to head off his successor in a futile attempt to remain in power?

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Would anyone be shocked if Trump fired Pence eventually, trying to head off his successor in a futile attempt to remain in power?

The President can't fire the VP.  The VP is, in fact, the only person in the executive branch that the President can't fire.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coats-won-t-say-whether-trump-asked-him-push-back-n763551

Trump asked Coats in March to say publicly that he saw no evidence the Trump campaign had colluded with the Russian effort to interfere in the 2016 election, a former senior intelligence official told NBC News. The president made the same request to Mike Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, the official said. The requests from Trump were first reported by The Washington Post.

At the same time Coats was testifying, former CIA Director John Brennan appeared before the House Intelligence Committee and said he believes Russia "brazenly" interfered in last year's presidential election and that he knew of contacts between Trump associates and Russian officials

"I encountered and am aware of information and intelligence that revealed contacts and interactions between Russian officials and U.S. persons involved in the Trump campaign," Brennan told lawmakers.

Trump made a very key distinction this week..he said there was no collusion between himself or his campaign with the Russians, then qualified that by saying he could only speak for himself.  So lesson to anyone on Team Trump - you WILL be thrown under the bus to save the President if need be.  Keep those notes, emails, texts and everything else you have.

EDIT: I could see an investigation determining that Trump associates colluded with Russia but there was no direct evidence Trump knew about it or directed it.  BUT, Trump's efforts to obstruct the investigation after the fact will be what brings him down.  Its not the crime, its the cover up.

Edited by The Unknown Poster