US Politics

Rich

I’ve been really busy this weekend so haven’t had my eyes and ears glued to the news but I feel like the White House is doing a good job of getting their word out that this is the dems fault. 

It sounds like Schumer conceded the wall but republicans still won’t Agree.  They want DACA off the bill. Because they don’t want DACA. They want those people deported. Period.  Dems should stand their ground on that (they probably won’t). 

17 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

26996778_10215858696118547_1849193687_n.jpg?oh=c352c73500f35621b57b9e0a798f3313&oe=5A6713DD

And what does Cheeto 45 do? He blames the Democrats.

That's an incredible demonstration of monumental stupidity.

It’s some twisting to blame dems. They rely on the basic fact that to pass they need some dems to support it. But trump already said he’d sign any bipartisan bill and then changed his mind. Also he’s the one that suspended DACA. He could also extend CHIP but wants it attached to this bill so he can say dems are robbing Americans. But the White House doesn’t want DACA anyway. 

And ofcourse why are they even arguing over funding for the wall when Mexico is going to pay for it lol 

Looks like Dems caved

P

EDIT: Perhaps I spoke too soon.  Word is Schumer offered to fund the wall in return for the Dreamers being able to stay.  Which is a great deal since, you know, Mexico is paying for everything lol   Talk is White House wanted Dems to agree to some of their harder line immigration reforms though since the wall is still not a certainty.  I assume that will be the basis for the deal

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Doesn’t a funding bill require 60% support? 

Yes, it does. But the image was posted simply to highlight the historic aspect as well as Trump's Twitter history coming back to bite him in the backside.

Anyway, the lights are back on in DC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/shutdown-talks-us-senate-monday-1.4498038

14 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Doesn’t a funding bill require 60% support? 

The way I understand it (and im no expert by a long shot), its not that passing the bill requires 60%, but that the Senate can filibuster anything they want and to break a filibuster, you need a super majority.  There are time constraints on debate in the Senate.  So Dems dont like a bill, they filibuster.  GOP wants to break it, they need a super majority.

Or I could be way off.

6 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I will not be shocked if Mueller says there were improprieties, but no illegalities.

You mean by Trump specifically?  Cause the special counsel has already laid charges and gotten guilty pleas. 

I would not be surprised if he recommends charges for Trump. Whether he ends up impeached is another story. The charges could be what republicans might deem “minor” though.  I don’t think we’re that close to finding out yet. 

51 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I will not be shocked if Mueller says there were improprieties, but no illegalities.

Simply from being mesmerized from this ongoing gong show, how anti-climatic would that be .  Like Geraldo opening the vault and nothing there.

After 68 years of investigation we have found some serious improprieties but nothing illegal.  Blech.

The longer the investigation takes, the worse or better it is for those being investigated? Hard to tell.

12 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Simply from being mesmerized from this ongoing gong show, how anti-climatic would that be .  Like Geraldo opening the vault and nothing there.

After 68 years of investigation we have found some serious improprieties but nothing illegal.  Blech.

The longer the investigation takes, the worse or better it is for those being investigated? Hard to tell.

Based on what everyone said about Mueller, the *appearance* is that his investigation is being done well.  He's certainly interviewed people close to the president and flipped a couple of people that would know things.  If there are any bombshells, one scenario would be charges for someone like Kushner, Don Jr etc, who Trump would then pardon.  And recommended charges against Trump...leading to articles of impeachment which the GOP controlled congress would not proceed on.  So everyone would know Trump is a crook but nothing happens.