US Politics

Rich

Won't Manafort and Gates both be pardoned if convicted for being good soldiers. If Trump can pardon them why would they turn on each other, go to court maybe serve a little time in a Club Med style prison and then get pardoned, or it that not how it works.

Edited by bustamente

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Won't Manafort and Gates both be pardoned if convicted for being good soldiers. If Trump can pardon them why would they turn on each other, go to court maybe serve a little time in a Club Med style prison and then get pardoned, or it that not how it works.

When it comes to money laundering, tax evasion, etc. they can also be charged under state law. Trump can only pardon federal crimes, not state ones. The Attorney General of New York has gone after Trump regarding Trump University, Trump's family trust and other matters and he is working with Mueller.

From August:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/30/manafort-mueller-probe-attorney-general-242191

Edited by Jacquie

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

I see two possibilities. Maybe three. Their crimes end up being something which trump decides not to pardon for fear of public backlash. I doubt he’d care though. 

Or trump takes his sweet time and mueller delivered impeachable offenders to the AG resulting in Conhressional action before he has a chance to pardon anyone. 

The parallel New York investigation results on state charges for which they cannot be pardoned. So they have to flip anyway....or go to jail in New York. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I see two possibilities. Maybe three. Their crimes end up being something which trump decides not to pardon for fear of public backlash. I doubt he’d care though. 

Or trump takes his sweet time and mueller delivered impeachable offenders to the AG resulting in Conhressional action before he has a chance to pardon anyone. 

The parallel New York investigation results on state charges for which they cannot be pardoned. So they have to flip anyway....or go to jail in New York. 

A possible fourth is that a judge throws out the case against Manafort & Gates because when the FBI raided his home they obtained documents their warrant didn't cover ergo violating his 4th amendment rights. CNN reported on this back when it happened. Also Mueller was a lawyer at the firm that represented Manafort & Gates back when they were committing these crimes in the Ukraine, in fact, Manafort was actually brought in as witness at that time for the DOJ when they investigated what was going on over their ergo Manafort had an expectation of immunity. This would be very hard for a judge not to see the connection. 

11 hours ago, pigseye said:

A possible fourth is that a judge throws out the case against Manafort & Gates because when the FBI raided his home they obtained documents their warrant didn't cover ergo violating his 4th amendment rights. CNN reported on this back when it happened. Also Mueller was a lawyer at the firm that represented Manafort & Gates back when they were committing these crimes in the Ukraine, in fact, Manafort was actually brought in as witness at that time for the DOJ when they investigated what was going on over their ergo Manafort had an expectation of immunity. This would be very hard for a judge not to see the connection. 

Yes I suppose thats a possibility.  I mean its exactly what you'd want to happen if you were cheering for bad guys to get away with their crimes because they helped your candidate win an election.  Time will tell.

Start day off with some Trump attacking police as Johnzo said.

President Trump on Thursday accused California law enforcement of being soft on street gangs and suggested he might pull immigration agents out of the state, prompting a strong rebuke from local officials who said the president doesn't understand their war on gangs.

On Thursday, Trump stepped up the war, predicting that gang members would wreak havoc if federal authorities withdrew from Los Angeles and other parts of the state.

"I mean, frankly, if I wanted to pull our people from California, you would have a crime mess like you've never seen in California," Trump said. "You'd be inundated. You would see crime like no one's ever seen crime in this country. And yet we get no help from the state of California. They're doing a lousy management job, they have the highest taxes in the nation, and they don't know what's happening out there."

Los Angeles officials expressed puzzlement and concern over Trump's comments, saying local police have made significant strides against gang violence in recent years.

I mean, frankly, if I wanted to pull our people from California, you would have a crime mess like you've never seen in California," Trump said.

:lol:

at least he said "our" and didn't profess personal ownership of the law enforcement service.

What a complete dope.

Edited by Mark F

4 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Start day off with some Trump attacking police as Johnzo said.

I mean, frankly, if I wanted to pull our people from California, you would have a crime mess like you've never seen in California," Trump said.

:lol:

What a dope.

Someone remind Trump that California is part of the United States of which he's President.

For all the criticisms of Trump.....you have to admit, that for entities such as Putin  and the NRA.....he does provide value for money.

UPDATE:   Just watched Trump's speech at CPAC - he parroted, virtually  word for word......every single NRA talking point from Wayne LaPierre speech, the other nite.

Edited by do or die

Trump trade policy winning big for American corn farmers who probably all voted for him..... Reuters

U.S. farmers, food processors and grain traders have spent months trying to prevent trade relationships from falling apart if the North American Free Trade Agreement implodes. They are trying to protect more than $19 billion in sales to Mexican buyers of everything from corn and soybeans to dairy and poultry.

Despite their efforts, South American corn shipments to Mexico are surging. Mexican buyers imported a total of more than 583,000 metric tonnes of Brazilian corn last year – a 970 percent jump over 2016, according to data from Mexico’s Agrifood and Fishery Information Service (SIAP).

The purchases all came in the last four months of last year. They followed visits by Mexican government officials and grains buyers to Brazil and Argentina to explore alternative supply options in the months after U.S. President Donald Trump took office and threatened to tear up the trade pact.

Mexico has long been the top importer of U.S. corn, and is the second largest buyer of U.S. soybeans, giving Mexico leverage in corn-belt states that are staunch Trump supporters but also strongly back the trade status quo.

But, at least they can be assured they can keep their weapons, that they need out on the farm.

suckers. 

Edited by Mark F

California is a strange state, refusing to let their local law enforcement cooperate with ICE officials, despite their own officers saying it's a bad idea and will put them at risk of harm. 

US exports all around are surging. The most ironic is coal sales to Europe, especially France, you know, the guy who freaked on Trump for pulling out of the Paris agreement and recruiting all those climate scientist Trump put out of work. I guess it's okay to talk a good game but the reality is the world technology isn't anywhere close to abandoning fossil fuels yet. 

But that's typical of Liberals/Dems, say what people want to hear to get elected and break every promise you make when reality sets in.  

2 minutes ago, pigseye said:

California is a strange state, refusing to let their local law enforcement cooperate with ICE officials, despite their own officers saying it's a bad idea and will put them at risk of harm. 

US exports all around are surging. The most ironic is coal sales to Europe, especially France, you know, the guy who freaked on Trump for pulling out of the Paris agreement and recruiting all those climate scientist Trump put out of work. I guess it's okay to talk a good game but the reality is the world technology isn't anywhere close to abandoning fossil fuels yet. 

But that's typical of Liberals/Dems, say what people want to hear to get elected and break every promise you make when reality sets in.  

Can you site your source on coal sales to Europe?  Im not saying you're wrong, Im legitimately interested in this.  I read an article that stated over half of US coal plants closing since 2010 with 1/3 of coal plants in the EU closing by 2021 and all plants in Britain closing by 2025.  I cant confirm if those stats are true but if you're saying coal is growing in Europe it would seem to defy that. 

As for broken promises, if you're implying that the Dems have a monopoly on that, you dont know politics.

4 minutes ago, do or die said:

Hard to think of a more inefficient, dangerous and environmentally destructive energy source....than coal.    Even countries like China and India, are starting to figure this out.

Yes, I also read that India is getting out of coal and its even dropping in China of all places.    Hanging your hat on coal is a fool's errand 

Just recently released, so not surprised we haven't heard more yet, although liberal media outlets probably won't give it much attention:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/21/trumps-european-climate-change-critics-fuel-us-coa/

Total exports in 2017, however, shot up to 95 million short tons, a 58 percent increase over the previous year. About 31 million short tons of that went to Asia, nearly double the amount from 2016. China alone imported 2.8 million short tons through September 2017 — a wild increase over the previous year’s 205,000.

Total exports to Europe reached 40 million short tons — 13 million more than in 2016.

Some of the most fertile markets in Europe are nations with leaders that have been the most outspoken in bashing Mr. Trump for pulling out of the global Paris climate pact, an Obama-era agreement that the current administration says unfairly punished the U.S. while letting major polluters such as China off the hook.

Chief among the critics has been French President Emmanuel Macron. Among other instances, Mr. Macron in December mocked Mr. Trump by launching the “Make Our Planet Great Again Awards,” a spin on the president’s famous campaign slogan. He gave grants to U.S. scientists to continue their research in France and said his country was leading the way in clean energy and carbon emissions reductions.

France and Europe will be the place where we will decide how to make our planet great again,” he said at a ceremony announcing the awards.

At the same time, his country was in the midst of a huge uptick in American coal imports.

Through September 2017, France imported 1.5 million short tons of American coal — double the amount in 2016.

Mr. Macron hasn’t been alone in his criticism of Mr. Trump or the seeming hypocrisy when it comes to coal, which most scientists believe is one of the biggest man-made contributors to climate change. Last summer, FranceGermany and Italy released a joint statement saying the U.S. would never be welcomed back into the Paris climate accord, effectively trying to isolate the Trump administration on the world stage.

“We firmly believe that the Paris Agreement cannot be renegotiated,” the nations said in a joint statement, expressing “regret” with the course Mr. Trump chose.

But Mr. Macron’s allies in that attack also have taken advantage of U.S. coal.

Through September, Germany imported 3.4 million short tons, compared with 2.5 million in 2016. Italy brought in 2.2 million tons of U.S. coal during the same period; in 2016, it imported just 1.3 million.

As a whole, Europe through September imported 28.4 million short tons, compared with 19.3 million the previous year, federal data show.

Leading Republicans on Capitol Hill say the figures prove that many so-called leaders on climate change simply can’t back up their words with action.

So does this mean that Europe/China is using more coal in general or are they using about the same amount and just buying more from the U.S instead of local sources?  A way for them to mine less coal and get the environmental pat on the back.  Maybe it works out cheaper too even with the shipping costs from the U.S. 

Edited by Brandon Blue&Gold

8 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

So does this mean that Europe/China is using more coal in general or are they using about the same amount and just buying more from the U.S instead of local sources?  A way for them to mine less coal and get the environmental pat on the back.  Maybe it works out cheaper too even with the shipping costs from the U.S. 

I read it as importing more due to their own decline in mining.