US Politics

Rich

On 17/03/2018 at 1:32 PM, bigg jay said:

That was my 1st thought.... his book deal should be more than enough to cover the loss of his pension.

McCabe has received a number of job offers from various Congressmen ranging from 2 day employment to long term jobs. He takes one and he won't lose any of his pension.

3 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Funny how that works... you don't find something if you are not looking for it.

From the article:

“Our committee was not charged with answering the collusion idea,” Conaway said on NBC's “Meet The Press.” 

"So we really weren’t focused on that direction."

A spokeswoman for Conaway said he "meant obstruction" rather than collusion.

Man, those tricky three-syllable words...

18 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Damn, Hope Hicks has some shitty taste in men.  Control freak Lewandowski and bedroom boxer Porter. 

If I were in her family / inner circle / whatever, I'd be saying to her "You know, Hope, maybe men aren't for you. Maybe start looking for a good woman to settle down with?"

7 hours ago, bustamente said:

Looks like the Republicans are going to go full conspiracy theory to protect Trump

I saw one GOP Rep on CNN and he looked insane.  He had previusly floated the idea there was a deep state conspiracy at the FBI and then walked it back saying the "texts" were just a joke.  When pushed last night he doubled down and said "how do we know there isnt a giant conspiracy against Trump?"  He wants a special counsel to investigate the FBI. 

Whats funny is, he really doesnt.  The only FBI conspiracy was to aid Trump based out of the New York office where Rudy Guilliani had friends.  Its why Rudy gloated about an impending October surprise days before Comey's letter to congress about the Hilary emails found on Wiener's computer which turned out to be nothing.  The Republicans were so determined to use Weiner's sexting with a 17 year old to create a narrative of Hilary being connected to pedophiles.  Remember the pizza place pedo ring nonsense that actually resulted in someone showing up with a gun?

And ironically, McCabe actually pushed back against dropping the Hilary thing.  He was as non-partisan as it gets.  He's a Republican.  But his wife ran for state office as a Democrat and it drove Trump nuts.  This class act kept calling McCabe and calling his wife a loser.  The New York office were connected with friends of Trump and threatened to leak the Wiener/Hilary email connection unless Comey re-opened it.  It managed to get the letter to Congress which really is what handed Trump the presidency even though it was nothing.  That was Comey's only mistake.  Trump should have sent Comey a fruit basket or something after that one.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Whats funny is, he really doesnt.  The only FBI conspiracy was to aid Trump based out of the New York office where Rudy Guilliani had friends.  Its why Rudy gloated about an impending October surprise days before Comey's letter to congress about the Hilary emails found on Wiener's computer which turned out to be nothing.  The Republicans were so determined to use Weiner's sexting with a 17 year old to create a narrative of Hilary being connected to pedophiles.  Remember the pizza place pedo ring nonsense that actually resulted in someone showing up with a gun?

And ironically, McCabe actually pushed back against dropping the Hilary thing.  He was as non-partisan as it gets.  He's a Republican.  But his wife ran for state office as a Democrat and it drove Trump nuts.  This class act kept calling McCabe and calling his wife a loser.  The New York office were connected with friends of Trump and threatened to leak the Wiener/Hilary email connection unless Comey re-opened it.  It managed to get the letter to Congress which really is what handed Trump the presidency even though it was nothing.  That was Comey's only mistake.  Trump should have sent Comey a fruit basket or something after that one.

Do you have any articles specifically on these issues? I would love to read them. I could google but, I want the material you were reading. it's legit- I know very little of the state level politics.

28 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Do you have any articles specifically on these issues? I would love to read them. I could google but, I want the material you were reading. it's legit- I know very little of the state level politics.

I recommend following @SethAbramson on twitter.  He has tons of news and insight (he's a lawyer) and breaks down a lot of the news.  He's definitely anti-Trump but he's been pretty fair in dismissing "news" that isnt or being critical of the other side when appropriate.  But he writes these long, very detailed threads with dates, names, links.  If you want to see the depth of Trump's problems, spend a few days reading through Seth's feed.

Here's a bit of background:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02/james-comey-fbi-director-letter

In early July 2016, after a year-long investigation that reportedly cost more than $20 million, Comey pronounced that “no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case” against her for mishandling classified information. This caused Republicans to erupt in rage.

Four months later—11 days before the 2016 presidential election—Comey sent a letter to Congress saying he was reopening the investigation in light of new information found, but not yet examined, by the F.B.I. It was now the Democrats’ turn to erupt in rage—a rage that only grew when two days before the election Comey announced there was nothing new or incriminating about the purportedly new information.

The “October surprise” dominated the news cycle in the crucial last days of the election, allowing Donald Trump to claim on the campaign trail that Hillary would soon be indicted, and to lead his followers in chanting, “Lock her up!”

F.B.I. agents still tend to be white males. In a way, this situation is systemic: to be promoted, you have to be willing to relocate, which can be difficult for women with children. A current agent also says that there’s a strong conservative bent: if a TV is on in an F.B.I. building, it’s likely to be Fox News.

But even within the F.B.I., there are tensions. “There are three F.B.I.’s,” this agent tells me. “There are the [56] field offices, there’s [headquarters in] Washington, and then there’s [the field office in] New York.”

New York has an especially dim view of Washington and a reputation for fierce independence. “There is a renegade quality to the New York F.B.I.,” says a former prosecutor, which, he claims, can take the form of agents leaking to the press to advance their own interests or to influence an investigation. “New York leaks like a sieve,” concurs another former prosecutor.

On July 5, Comey held the press conference in which he announced that agents had found thousands of e-mails that contained government secrets, all of which had traveled unsecure, unclassified channels on Clinton’s private e-mail network. Nonetheless, he said, “we cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges,” in large part because they did not find intent, which is a critical element of most criminal cases.

Some factions within the F.B.I. were not in Comey’s corner—particularly New York. One agent even heard about a petition to have Comey removed. “All of a sudden people who thought he was the best guy ever were saying he should resign,” says this person. Hosko adds, “There was tremendous frustration about the notion that someone [like Clinton] could carelessly traffic in very sensitive material and walk away unscathed, arrogantly walk away and wait for her coronation.”

The disquiet within the F.B.I. was made public, largely by James Kallstrom, head of the F.B.I.’s New York office from 1995 to 1997. He is close to former U.S. attorney (and former New York City mayor) Rudy Giu­lia­ni

In the weeks following Comey’s July announcement, both Kallstrom and Giuliani were all over conservative news outlets, talking about the “revolution,” as Giuliani called it, among the F.B.I. rank and file, who viewed the failure to indict as “almost a slap in the face to the F.B.I.’s integrity.” By late September, Kallstrom was telling the Daily Beast that he had talked to hundreds of people, “including a lot of retired agents and a few on the job” who were “basically disgusted” and felt they had been “stabbed in the back.”

A former prosecutor who knows Kallstrom says, “He is full of ****.” Another says, “The fact that a retired agent is on TV talking about a case usually proves that he doesn’t know the first damn thing about it.”

Agents, primarily in New York, had been trying over the last few years to put together a case involving financial crimes or influence peddling against the Clinton Foundation. One knowledgeable source says that agents went to several U.S. Attorney’s offices, trying to get prosecutors to open a case, before finally going to the Justice Department’s public-integrity office. This person says that the agents did not have any facts that would support prosecutors taking further steps. But angry agents leaked to The Wall Street Journal.

On October 26, Rudolph Giuliani appeared on Fox News and said, “We got a couple things up our sleeve that should turn this around. Even the liberal pollsters will get to see.” When pressed about what these surprises would be, Giuliani broke into a smile and said, “You’ll see. Ha ha ha.”

Two days later, on October 28, just 11 days before the election, Comey sent his letter to Congress saying that “in connection with an unrelated case, the F.B.I. has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation” of Clinton.

Within a couple of days, the New York F.B.I. agents, who had a warrant to look only at Weiner-related information, knew there were Clinton e-mails on the laptop, and the prosecutors in D.C. were informed.

On the 27th, Co­mey was briefed, and agents argued that they needed to get a warrant to go through the new e-mails.

Comey agreed with his agents, and that afternoon the F.B.I. alerted the Department of Justice that he planned to write the letter updating Congress.

Most of all, the F.B.I. was worried that if it came out that they had kept silent, and the existence of the e-mails was revealed after the election, it would give credence to claims, which were already being circulated by Trump, that the election results were illegitimate.

Officials at the D.O.J. tried to convince the F.B.I. that all Comey had promised Congress was that he would take a look at new information, that he risked creating another misimpression by sending a letter, that doing this so close to an election was insanity, and that “the overwhelming odds are that this will amount to nothing,” as one former official puts it.

One argument that the F.B.I gave in response was that now that the circle had become much bigger, including agents in New York, the probability of a leak was high and would only increase once the request for the warrant was filed. “Yes, it was absolutely explicit that one reason for the letter was that the agents in New York would leak it,” says a Justice Department source.

On the morning of November 4, Giuliani returned to Fox & Friends, to gloat, “Did I hear about it? You’re darn right I heard about it.”

On November 6, two days before the election, Comey informed Congress that the F.B.I. had seen the e-mails and that the bureau had not changed its conclusion that Clinton should not face charges over her handling of classified information.

So really...any issues with the FBI were in trump's favour and being the idiot he is, he managed to make an enemy out of a friendly organization.

7 minutes ago, do or die said:

The Mueller Perjury Trap

Mueller:  "Your full name, sir"
Trump:  "John Smith"

Its amazing that Meuller was willing to give Trump an idea of questions they would ask as a way of showing they arent setting up a perjury trap.  They just want answers to questions.  And Trump's people are still petrified that he cannot give truthful answers to simple questions without perjuring himself.

Oh and the fact he's guilty as sin...thats a problem too.  Trump's team wants to know if he can lie and get away with it.  Telling the truth would get him impeached.  Lying and getting caught will get him impeached.  He's ******.