US Politics

Rich

3 minutes ago, do or die said:

Mueller is a Republican who was appointed by George W. Bush to run the FBI.
Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, is an Trump appointee
Chris Wray, the current director of the FBI. is also a Trump appointee
Berman, the U.S. attorney whose office executed the raid, is a former law partner to Rudy Giuliani, of all people and was appointed by Sessions

These warrants had to have been approved by officials at the Department of Justice, then a federal judge would have had to review the evidence and sign off on it....... knowing that they would be sanctioning a raid against the personal attorney of a sitting president.

This red herring/fishing expedition narrative, in this particular case.......is a complete crock.

It's not a complete crock, everyone knows the Russians interfered, Putin did it to harm Hillary, there is no disputing that. What there is no evidence of and never has been is that there was any collusion before the hacking of the DNC emails with anyone. 

6 minutes ago, pigseye said:

It's not a complete crock, everyone knows the Russians interfered, Putin did it to harm Hillary, there is no disputing that. What there is no evidence of and never has been is that there was any collusion before the hacking of the DNC emails with anyone. 

I said in this particular case. (Cohen raid)

Looking at the previous actions (that we know about) of Trump's ex campaign chair, campaign manager, national security advisor, son in law,  and now his personal lawyer to just list a few.......seems to be no shortage of criminality, to keep any special prosecutor busy.

29 minutes ago, pigseye said:

You need to do some serious homework if you are not familiar with the Putin Clinton relationship when she was secretary of state. Putin vowed revenge and he got it. And I am not suggesting there was any collusion with any of the candidates, this Putin all on his own. 

Its a moot point.  Im not sure anyone cares about Putin's motivation, just what he did and who he did it with (Trump et al)

31 minutes ago, pigseye said:

How do you know that?  Are you inside the Mueller investigation?

Ill use the same analogy I used earlier, if there was a murder investigation by local cops that took 6 months to complete/lay charges and the culprit says, on day 2, well, they havent shown me proof I did it, I guess Im innocent.  The fact is, Mueller is quite obviously looking into Trumps relationship with Russia that pre-dated the DNC hack. 

And even if collusion began with the DNC hack, Im not sure what you're point is?  That it's Clinton's fault Trump broke the law? lol

This is an on-going investigation that is NOT complete.  Any one saying there is no proof is really being silly. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

2 hours ago, do or die said:

AMERICA UNDER ATTACK!!  FBI THUGS BREAK IN!!!  DEEP STATE OFFENSIVE!  TRUMP PERSECUTED!!  STASI TACTICS!!!  RULE OF LAW UNDER SIEGE!   DISGRACEFUL RAID!!

Sorry guys...... on wrong site.

The best part is none of the people who think they are remotely interested in the evidence. 

27 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Paul Ryan not seeking re-election. Abandoning the sinking ship

Seems clear the GOP think the chickens are coming home to roost this November.  We'll see if that turns out to be true.

Trump really wants to fire everyone but its the GOP warning him off.  The problem is, Trump knows he's in trouble legally and if the GOP turn on him, he's in peril as far as impeachment goes.

I can actually see Trump's perspective though.  If you committed crimes but had the power to fire the people investigating you, even if that might cause you peril wouldn't you rather do that?  If he lets the investigation continue, he KNOWS he's toast.  If he fires Mueller et al he MIGHT be toast.

He's getting advice from Alan Dershowitz which probably isnt good for him.  Sarah Sanders confirms Trump has been told he has the power to fire Mueller.  Who's telling him that?  The DOJ regulations are clear that Mueller can only be fired by the AG (or in this case Rosenstein because Sessions recused) and only for cause.  If Trump tries to fire Mueller, its possible Mueller simply declined to be fired and if the DOJ backs him, Trump...I dont know what he'd do.  I guess go to the Supreme Court.

Meanwhile you have to think Mueller has a nuclear option to ensure his work isnt "lost" to history.

Ryan always ran on the basis of being a champion of fiscal responsibility.    Leaving with bigger deficits.   
His real goal
was to shred the social safety net, and also privatize Medicare, while fattening the pockets of certain corporate interests.  Ryan was also a mealy mouthed enabler of Trump's mendacity and corruption.  

Perhaps, he can now join that heroic group of Republicans speaking out against Trump......you know, the ones not facing re-election.   Or keep blathering about values and fiscal responsibility - items which he didn't even try to deliver.

Was a time I actually had some hope for this guy.   Now he, like a lot of morally gutless Republicans..... will have to wash out the stink.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Seems clear the GOP think the chickens are coming home to roost this November.  We'll see if that turns out to be true.

Trump really wants to fire everyone but its the GOP warning him off.  The problem is, Trump knows he's in trouble legally and if the GOP turn on him, he's in peril as far as impeachment goes.

I can actually see Trump's perspective though.  If you committed crimes but had the power to fire the people investigating you, even if that might cause you peril wouldn't you rather do that?  If he lets the investigation continue, he KNOWS he's toast.  If he fires Mueller et al he MIGHT be toast.

He's getting advice from Alan Dershowitz which probably isnt good for him.  Sarah Sanders confirms Trump has been told he has the power to fire Mueller.  Who's telling him that?  The DOJ regulations are clear that Mueller can only be fired by the AG (or in this case Rosenstein because Sessions recused) and only for cause.  If Trump tries to fire Mueller, its possible Mueller simply declined to be fired and if the DOJ backs him, Trump...I dont know what he'd do.  I guess go to the Supreme Court.

Meanwhile you have to think Mueller has a nuclear option to ensure his work isnt "lost" to history.

Isn't the new strategy to fire Rosenstein, replace him with a Trump supporter, who then (tries to) puts the shackles on Mueller . . .

17 minutes ago, iHeart said:

good....uh oh...is Mitch McConnell next in line or is this an electable job

McConnell is the senate majority leader. He was elected to this position by his fellow Republican senators, the caucuses. 

Ryan is Congressman. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

McConnell is the senate majority leader. He was elected to this position by his fellow Republican senators, the caucuses. 

Ryan is Congressman. 

oh.....then again I think I do remember that Ryan was appointed are you saying that senators can't be house speakers?

21 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How do you know that?  Are you inside the Mueller investigation?

Ill use the same analogy I used earlier, if there was a murder investigation by local cops that took 6 months to complete/lay charges and the culprit says, on day 2, well, they havent shown me proof I did it, I guess Im innocent.  The fact is, Mueller is quite obviously looking into Trumps relationship with Russia that pre-dated the DNC hack. 

And even if collusion began with the DNC hack, Im not sure what you're point is?  That it's Clinton's fault Trump broke the law? lol

This is an on-going investigation that is NOT complete.  Any one saying there is no proof is really being silly. 

Because they haven't turned it over which is why Nunes id freaaking out.

Nunes told Fox News that he was ready to hold FBI Director Christopher Wrayand Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in contempt of Congress for failing to provide documents related to the 2016 counterintelligence investigation into Russian interference in the election and possible ties to the Trump campaign.

1 minute ago, pigseye said:

Because they haven't turned it over which is why Nunes id freaaking out.

Well Nunes has already shown he's corrupt and no one will trust him with any info.  And ummm, Mueller basically answers to only Rosenstein and will submit his report when he's done.  Why would he turn over part of his report, part of his evidence to the people being investigated?

Again, using my previous analogy thats like your lawyer demanding the cops turn over their evidence on day 2.  They would not do that. 

5 minutes ago, iHeart said:

oh.....then again I think I do remember that Ryan was appointed are you saying that senators can't be house speakers?

The House of Representatives is the lower house and the Senate is the upper house of the legislature. The Speaker (Ryan)  is second in line, behind the VP, for President. 

Edited by JCon

22 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Isn't the new strategy to fire Rosenstein, replace him with a Trump supporter, who then (tries to) puts the shackles on Mueller . . .

Under DOJ regulation, only the AG or, in this case Rosenstein, can dismiss Mueller for cause.  Trump could either replace Sessions with someone who would not be recused who could then fire Mueller though that would be dangerous because it would appear to be an end run around Rosenstein.  Trump could order Rosenstein to fire Mueller but he's unlikely to comply (he signed the warrant that raided Cohen).  So Rosenstein would either then be fired or resign.  By DOJ succession, the 3rd in command resigned in February so she's not there.  4th in line (name escapes me now) would then be tasked with firing Mueller per Trump's orders or refusing.

Its the Saturday Night Massacre (read up on that).  Nixon did the same thing.  Ordered his AG to fire the special counsel.  I think it took the 3rd person up before they carried out Nixon's order and it was so repugnant to American's, it made Watergate the most pressing issue of the day.  It was a huge mistake by Nixon.  But, like Trump, he felt the heat. 

The issue seems to be, everyone is telling Trump to let the investigation conclude on its own but Trump knows the problem with that is, he's guilty.  There is no other explanation.  He's acting like a very, very guilty man.

If Trump ignores DOJ regulation and tries to fire Mueller himself, its possible Mueller would simply refuse to leave and ask Rosenstein for a decision.  Likely, Rosenstein would back Mueller.  At that point Trump would have to back down or, more likely (since he would know Mueller and Rosenstein would probably not just leave), he'd end up firing Rosenstein and looking for someone willing to remove Mueller.

That alone doesnt end things for Trump.  Congress could simply create their own special investigation and hire Mueller who would effectively never miss a beat but would have a whole lot more ammunition to come after Trump for obstruction.

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

The House of Representatives is the lower house and the Senate is the upper house of the legislature. The Speaker (Ryan)  is second in line, behind the VP, for President. 

Yeah there was some thought that Ryan might have had a shot at the Presidency if an impeachment swept both Trump and Pence out.  Ryan's star has certainly fallen.  Trump infects all those around him.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well Nunes has already shown he's corrupt and no one will trust him with any info.  And ummm, Mueller basically answers to only Rosenstein and will submit his report when he's done.  Why would he turn over part of his report, part of his evidence to the people being investigated?

Again, using my previous analogy thats like your lawyer demanding the cops turn over their evidence on day 2.  They would not do that. 

Because it's not part of his report they are asking for, it's a 2016 report. 

12 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Because it's not part of his report they are asking for, it's a 2016 report. 

Do you think the DOJ might know Nunes cannot be trusted?  And/or any evidence they have is part of Mueller's investigation?

Or is this another example of Trump appointees suddenly going rogue?  I mean really...

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Do you think the DOJ might know Nunes cannot be trusted?  And/or any evidence they have is part of Mueller's investigation?

Or is this another example of Trump appointees suddenly going rogue?  I mean really...

The documents were to be turned over to the House Judiciary and Oversight committees, The Justice Department this weekend also announced the designation of a sitting US attorney to oversee the process.