US Politics

Rich

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Good on you for defending and giving the benefit of the doubt, no matter how strained it should be, to a serial liar. You are a bigger man than myself.

I don't think I was giving the benefit of the doubt to anyone.  I just found that the comment that Trump made to the reporter re the CBC as presented in this thread was taken out of context.  When the bigger picture was revealed, in that the CBC seems to be deliberately avoiding him, purely for political points, then it kind of made it more understandable why Trump was a little irked at the question.  

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't think I was giving the benefit of the doubt to anyone.  I just found that the comment that Trump made to the reporter re the CBC as presented in this thread was taken out of context.  When the bigger picture was revealed, in that the CBC seems to be deliberately avoiding him, purely for political points, then it kind of made it more understandable why Trump was a little irked at the question.  

Most people have issues with the way Trump just assumed the reporter, being Black, knew entire Congressional Black caucus. That's where the outrage comes in, NOT because of "the bigger picture"- but because many find it offensive. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Yeah, it's the same thing as meeting a native person in Winnipeg and asking them if they can get you a meeting with the band council in Alert Bay.

It's an ignorant and trollish thing to say that people will take offense at, and I'd be happier if the president wasn't the kind of person to do **** like "oh, hello, black woman, I'm gonna yank your chain right now and you gotta sit and take it because I'm the president."  Bullies aren't cool.

Edited by johnzo

oh, and further on the National Guard thing this morning: the AP says that they reached out to the White House for comment before publishing the report, and the White House did not respond.  As I understand it, this is SOP for journalists: if you're writing about someone, you usually contact them for comment before going to press.

The National Guard story would've stopped there if Spicer had cared to stop it, but it's politically useful to be able to howl "fake news!"

Also, the head of the DHS has confirmed that the memo is real, but represents an early policy draft that was not followed up on. 

So, does anyone still consider this news fake?

Edited by johnzo

Holy ****, Marco Rubio has tweeted that the bipartisan Senate investigation of Trump/Putin is on like a bomb.

And Fox is putting Trump at 39% approval. Fox reporting bad news about a republican president is like Nixon going to China.

Perhaps the GOP is sick of how the Trump circus is distracting from their tax cuts for the 1% / kill Obamacare agenda. The long knives may be out.

Interesting times, man.

Edited by johnzo

Well, the Republicans in the House and Senate, stood behind the Donald (while some held their noses) as the ticket to the Presidency.   But Trump's bromance with Putin, and this whole Flynn thing, has some of them grinding their teeth.  

The ever shrinking circle around Trump, in effect, bypassing everybody else in decision making, is also causing tension.  Trump and Bannon may thrive on chaos and confusion.....but not plenty of other Republicans.  

Trump talking "directly to the people", like that last press conference  - while one can practically see the marbles rolling around on the floor, must be making folks pretty uneasy as well.....

11 hours ago, johnzo said:

Yeah, it's the same thing as meeting a native person in Winnipeg and asking them if they can get you a meeting with the band council in Alert Bay.

It's an ignorant and trollish thing to say that people will take offense at, and I'd be happier if the president wasn't the kind of person to do **** like "oh, hello, black woman, I'm gonna yank your chain right now and you gotta sit and take it because I'm the president."  Bullies aren't cool.

There are people who are unable to understand what racism is. There are people who support segregation by colour, who will tell you they are not racists.

Edited by Mark F

Interesting Article on the vilification of the media- a very astute piece.

Why Trump wants you to hate the media

Frida Ghitis

By Frida Ghitis

Updated 9:03 AM ET, Sat February 18, 2017

Frida Ghitis is a world affairs columnist for The Miami Herald and World Politics Review, and a former CNN producer and correspondent. The views expressed in this commentary are her own.

(CNN)If you watched President Trump's astonishing press conference on Thursday, you might be forgiven for concluding that the most urgent problem facing America is that the media "is out of control." Some media "is fantastic," the president allowed. But on the whole, journalism is plagued by "false, horrible, fake reporting."

It's clear that America's new President has chosen his new best enemy. Now that the campaign is over and it's not very useful to drive the crowds into a frenzy of hatred against Hillary Clinton, Trump has found the new direction in which to focus his supporters' animosity. But this time, the anointed enemy serves an even more useful purpose.
On Friday, he made his point even more directly, tweeting "The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @CNN, @NBCNews and many more) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American people. SICK!"
(He later deleted the "SICK!" part -- while adding @ABC and @CBS.)

The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!

The advantages of having an enemy are well-known. In Orwell's dystopian novel "1984" -- suddenly a new best-seller in the Trump era -- the masses engage in a daily mandatory ritual, the "Two Minutes of Hate," during which their anger is feverishly stoked against the foe of the moment. Dictators, strongmen and autocrats have practiced the art of drumming up loathing toward others to great effect.Trump is no dictator, but he does have strong authoritarian tendencies and, like other demagogues, he knows that perceived enemies can help him fire up the base, rally the crowds and shift responsibility. Don't look at me, this script cries out; look over there, there is a threat, a danger, a foe.When it comes to enemies, a demonized media is even more useful than the average antagonist.Trump's real nemesis is the truth. By attacking the media, he opens up a new line of attack against facts, his true target. He is, after all, the Gaslighter in Chief. He is trying to confuse the public so that they will not believe inconvenient truths.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

There are people who are unable to understand what racism is. There are people who support segregation by colour, who will tell you they are not racists.

I don't know anyone who supports segregation by colour, but I know a lot of people who pull out the word "Racist" on a pretty consistent basis to be used as some sort of trump card in every argument where they believe they are on the "right" side.  They in fact invoke this word so much, that it loses almost all meaning.

13 hours ago, johnzo said:

Holy ****, Marco Rubio has tweeted that the bipartisan Senate investigation of Trump/Putin is on like a bomb.

And Fox is putting Trump at 39% approval. Fox reporting bad news about a republican president is like Nixon going to China.

Perhaps the GOP is sick of how the Trump circus is distracting from their tax cuts for the 1% / kill Obamacare agenda. The long knives may be out.

Interesting times, man.

I am not sure what the fascination is with Trump's approval rating right now.  He's got 47 months left in his administration.  Let me know what it is at say 12 months, and then add about 20% to whatever the amount is, as we all know how skewed these polls are, especially ones done about Trump.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

16 hours ago, johnzo said:

Actually, it's not the same thing, at all.  To be the same thing, firstly, you'd have to have been trying to get in touch with the band council in Alert Bay, expressly for the purpose of trying to help them, and getting extremely frustrated that purely for political reasons, the band council was ignoring your requests to meet.  And then, a Native person who you didn't know, would have to walk up to you on the street, and ask you point blank, if you had any intention of meeting the band council in Alert Bay.  What would you do?  Would you say yes?  Would you say no?  Would you ask this person to help you meet them?  Would it be racist to ask that person for help, considering they were the ones who first asked you if you would meet with them?  If so, why?  If your goal is to talk to them, and they won't, because they are being instructed not to talk to you, even though all you wanted to do was to help them, what would you do?  

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Interesting Article on the vilification of the media- a very astute piece.

Yes, very astute.  Especially since this is the first time, in history, that a sitting president has attacked, shunned and vilified media sources that disagreed with him and his policies...oh wait...

I am not sure what the fascination is with Trump's approval rating right now.  He's got 47 months left in his administration.  Let me know what it is at say 12 months, and then add about 20% to whatever the amount is, as we all know how skewed these polls are, especially ones done about Trump.

It's not so much the actual number, it's that Fox News is reporting bad news about the president.

Will they wind up on the enemy-of-the-people list with the other failing news outlets?

SO, you're pulling numbers out of thin air and using that as fact... because "we all know".  That is wrong. That is fictional. 

Actually, it's not the same thing, at all.  To be the same thing, firstly, you'd have to have been trying to get in touch with the band council in Alert Bay, expressly for the purpose of trying to help them, and getting extremely frustrated that purely for political reasons, the band council was ignoring your requests to meet.  And then, a Native person who you didn't know, would have to walk up to you on the street, and ask you point blank, if you had any intention of meeting the band council in Alert Bay.  What would you do?  Would you say yes?  Would you say no?  Would you ask this person to help you meet them?  Would it be racist to ask that person for help, considering they were the ones who first asked you if you would meet with them?  If so, why?  If your goal is to talk to them, and they won't, because they are being instructed not to talk to you, even though all you wanted to do was to help them, what would you do?  

I am not sure what you are trying to say here... I read it... re-read it and still don't see your point. But if you're talking about the Congressional Black Caucus stonewalling Trump, then you should give this a read:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/319958-congressional-black-caucus-we-wrote-trump-a-letter-but-he-never

and this:

http://fox2now.com/2017/02/16/trump-asks-african-american-reporter-to-set-up-meeting-with-black-lawmakers/

And still, the fact he would ask April Ryan to set up the meeting and check with her "friends" because you know... all Black people know one another... 

If you still fail to see WHY THAT WAS SO OFFENSIVE just give this a read:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/susan-rice-calls-donald-trump-s-black-caucus-remarks-offensive-n722271

I don't know anyone who supports segregation by colour, but I know a lot of people who pull out the word "Racist" on a pretty consistent basis to be used as some sort of trump card in every argument where they believe they are on the "right" side.  They in fact invoke this word so much, that it loses almost all meaning.

To some, that word never had meaning... There IS racism, it exists. It's not a SJWs buzz word. Some people do absolutely use it in the wrong context, but that should not diminish peoples outrage over racism.

30 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes, very astute.  Especially since this is the first time, in history, that a sitting president has attacked, shunned and vilified media sources that disagreed with him and his policies...oh wait...

Fox news was never fair and balanced... During the Obama years, they were essentially an arm of the Republican party and created their own narrative. Besides, when Obama did it then, it was wrong. Trump does it now and... it's wrong. So are you excusing Obama for doing that or Just Trump? You should apply your integrity standards equally even if it is or isn't "your Guy", otherwise you loose total credibility.

I commend you for always giving Trump the benefit of the doubt. 

Very entertaining watching the trump supporters fall all over themselves To defend him. Even in this thread. Hilarious. 

Trump whining about the media and how they won't show the crowd at his rally....as CNN pans the crowd. 

Trump thinks he's still running for president. Which I guess is sort of true. 

People might want to look at his who he's appointed, and what he plans to do, instead of chuckling/cursing about his twitter rants and nonsensical press conferences.

The TV media loves that stuff, and it saves them the trouble of actually doing some research and work.

Some of his supporters are going to get a swift kick in the ass from him.

But like Obama supporters, who got kicked in the ass by Barry, and still loved him

The Trumpians will blame everyone but Trump.

Political stockholm syndrome

Edited by Mark F
quote removed

vis a vis trump blowing up Russian ship  ---- why this is so horribly wrong.... and why it's not funny at all, this just happened

The message read “MISSILE INBOUND. SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY!” as it took over the screens of Air Force personnel working at the 52nd Fighter Wing at Spangdahlem Air Base in Germany, earlier this week.

It was accidentally sent out to all terminals through the bases AtHoc emergency alert system