US Politics

Rich

On 2/18/2017 at 11:42 AM, johnzo said:

It's not so much the actual number, it's that Fox News is reporting bad news about the president.

Will they wind up on the enemy-of-the-people list with the other failing news outlets?

oh ok, yeah that's a pretty valid point.  We will see I guess.  Right now looks like Trump is still watching them.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

radical right groups love Trump... Southern poverty law centre:

The reaction to Trump’s victory by the radical right was ecstatic. “Our Glorious Leader has ascended to God Emperor,” wrote Andrew Anglin, who runs the neo-Nazi Daily Stormer website. “Make no mistake about it: we did this. If it were not for us, it wouldn’t have been possible.” Jared Taylor, a white nationalist who edits a racist journal, said that “overwhelmingly white Americans” had shown they were not “obedient zombies” by choosing to vote “for America as a distinct nation with a distinct people who deserve a government devoted to that people.”

Richard Spencer, who leads a racist “think tank” called the National Policy Institute, exulted that “Trump’s victory was, at its root, a victory of identity politics.”

I think some posters were wondering what alternative right meant

They can read this article to learn something about it

The Alternative Right is a term coined in 2008 by Richard Bertrand Spencer, who heads the white nationalist think tank known as the National Policy Institute, to describe a loose set of far-right ideals centered on “white identity” and the preservation of “Western civilization.” In 2010, Spencer, who had done stints as an editor of The American Conservative and Taki’s Magazine, launched the Alternative Right blog, where he worked to refine the movement’s ideological tenets.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/alternative-right

Edited by Mark F

I had no idea what "alt right" was until I was accused of this here and on other forums, mostly by people whose opinion I didn't share, and so name-calling was the result.  I now have an idea of what both "alt right" and "alt left" terms mean, but essentially from what I can tell they both engender a lot of hate for their particular causes, via distortion of facts and a lot of anger.  Unfortunately, these groups seems to continue to gain popularity, forcing main-stream media to compete and thus pick a side, and thus you have Fox News trying to grab the alt right side with their own alternative facts, and you have CNN, MSNBC, the NYT etc parroting alt left distortion.  It all leads to a lot of complete garbage being pumped out by everyone.

There is a tendency to look for simple explanations for things.

For instance being opposed to illegal immigration, could be a result of A. being a racist, or

B. not being a racist at all, but realizing that there aren't enough jobs for the people already in the your country, let alone another several million, who will drive down wages;

But if you say you oppose illegal immigration, you will be called racist, by some people.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Shouldn't you be opposed to illegal immigration ...  because it's illegal?

not necessarily. That's back and white thinking.

what if someone was escaping from threat of death from Kim Jon Il  and entered this country illegaly?

I wouldn't oppose that person entering the country.

Another actual example, Vietnamese boat people.

Rohingya Muslims refugees excaping massacre by fleeing (illegaly) into Bangladesh.

There are many examples of laws legally passed, (other than immigration)  that are completely immoral, that should be defied and resisted.

notorious Canadian example

Japanese-Canadian Internment On January 14, 1942, the federal government passed an order calling for the removal of male Japanese nationals between 18 to 45 years of age from a designated protected area of one hundred miles inland from the British Columbia coast. Those displaced were removed to road camps around Jasper, Alberta. Three weeks later, another order expanded that authority to allow the removal of "all persons of Japanese origin".

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Wouldn't those situations allow them to claim refugee status and no longer be illegal?

yes, exactly.  Refugees are a whole separate class.  My family on my dad's side tried to get into Canada in the 1920's as refugees but were denied and had to go to Mexico instead.  They were fleeing the communists in Russia.  Several notorious examples of refugees being denied access to Canada:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1174272-canada-turned-away-jewish-refugees

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komagata_Maru_incident

These two incidents were black eyes on Canada.  I have no problem with allowing in refugees, as long as they weed out the bad hombres.  Weren't the Sask Roughriders involved in some bar brawl with some bad Somalian hombres a few years back in Regina?

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Wouldn't those situations allow them to claim refugee status and no longer be illegal?

I thought you were  saying in general if something is against the law, the law must be followed. I tried to give some examples where the law was wrong, and should not be followed. Maybe not the best examples.

Maybe Better example: laws restricting right to vote to men only, or whites only. Or prohibiting ownership of property by blacks. (we had such in Manitoba till not that long ago.)

That's all I meant.

Edited by Mark F

9 hours ago, Mark F said:

There is a tendency to look for simple explanations for things.

For instance being opposed to illegal immigration, could be a result of A. being a racist, or

B. not being a racist at all, but realizing that there aren't enough jobs for the people already in the your country, let alone another several million, who will drive down wages;

But if you say you oppose illegal immigration, you will be called racist, by some people.

I know you were just giving an example - but who's picking their tomatoes now? No one - many are rotting in the fields. The truth is, Hispanics take jobs that no one else wants. They do the same thing right here in Manitoba - for Peak of the Market. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I know you were just giving an example - but who's picking their tomatoes now? No one - many are rotting in the fields. The truth is, Hispanics take jobs that no one else wants. They do the same thing right here in Manitoba - for Peak of the Market. 

pay higher salaries, and provide better working conditions. Canadians will do the job.

and try to make Mexicans' and other Latin American's lives in their own countries better; 

for instance, don't dump Big Ag American corn into mexico, thereby throwing small Mexican famers off the land and driving them to the United states and up here looking for temporary migrant jobs thousands of miles from their home and family.

The meat packers had no trouble getting canadians to work in the factories in Winnipeg, till they broke the unions, and drove wages down to half of what they were. Now they have to bring people in from Latin America. Surprised? I'm not.

Edited by Mark F

12 minutes ago, Mark F said:

pay higher salaries, and provide better working conditions. Canadians will do the job.

and try to make Mexicans' and other Latin American's lives in their own countries better; 

for instance, don't dump Big Ag American corn into mexico, thereby throwing small Mexican famers off the land and driving them to the United states and up here looking for temporary migrant jobs thousands of miles from their home and family.

The meat packers had no trouble getting canadians to work in the factories in Winnipeg, till they broke the unions, and drove wages down to half of what they were. Now they have to bring people in from Latin America. Surprised? I'm not.

These two facts, people over look so much. Yet, such an integral part in the immigration discussion.

43 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Actually, they were having trouble hiring butchers even with better wages. That's why places like Burns & Jack Forgan went out of business. 

Higher wages = higher food prices. We've become addicted to food that's cheaper than it should be, especially meat. 

just came across this

Leviticus 19: 33 "When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. 34You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God."

Edited by Mark F

just came across this

When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. 
If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. 
If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's and he shall go out alone. 
But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,' 
then his master shall bring him to God, and he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for life. (Ex. 21:2-6)

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Now we're quoting scriptures? ISIS quotes scriptures from Qu'Ran  as well. And we wonder why religious wars take place?

Sure, let's do the Quran now.

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"