RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

On 2017-03-13 at 3:15 PM, Mark F said:

credit to Hustler and Lawless not afraid to say what they think about the Jets.

Lawless just said move Buff. Very outspoken today. good for them.

I agree. trade the guy.

Real bold stance when Buff has a no move clause, the next 2 years.....

2 hours ago, do or die said:

Real bold stance when Buff has a no move clause, the next 2 years.....

not bold? what's "no move" got to do with criticising a player on air?

a player the team recently signed to a very large contract? in other words indirectly criticising the signing.

I listen to other host broadcasting stations, and rarely do I hear any criticism  of any aspect of the team, management, coaching, players that the station has the broadcast rights to.

None of the on air people on 1290 hold back in their opinions about the Jets.

pretty unusual I would say.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

Lawless either knows that an extension is already signed... or that its planned...  I think he's covering for TNSE - I mean how many excuses has he run through this season and never really questioned coaching.

You can't blame just coaching. Personnel decisions by Chevy play into this equation. Our GM is like a Teflon Don with the media. Nothing sticks to him. Both guys will get extensions & truthfully don't deserve it.

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You can't blame just coaching. Personnel decisions by Chevy play into this equation. Our GM is like a Teflon Don with the media. Nothing sticks to him. Both guys will get extensions & truthfully don't deserve it.

With coaching maybe a lot of people get their wishes. Maybe Paul Maurice doesn't want to be back either. 

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

scurrd.gif

source.gif

Edited by IC Khari

I think 1290 criticizes the Jets when it's warranted, for the most part.  Many of their personalities were critical when Pavelec was brought up.  Both H & L have brought up Laine being on the 2nd PP unit - and his 0 PP goals in 2017.  Rick 'Pepperoni & Mustard' Ralph continually asks why Petan's riding pine when we're a "draft and develop" team.  None of the Illegal Curve guys are afraid to question the team, though they are pretty loyal to the brand. 

Really it's Beyak and Hnidy who are the 2 biggest homers, IMO. And to be expected as far as I'm concerned, they are the closest to the team & have to travel with these guys.

I see the media and fans as one in the same boat right now - we're stuck between being sick & tired of 6+ yrs of failure (despite shiny toys in 55, 29 etc)  and not wanting to abandon all hope for the franchise (they're good people, trying hard to produce a winner etc) 

No one can definitively say how you fix this team. I'm not sure anyone employed by TNSE knows either. And that's the scariest part. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I think 1290 criticizes the Jets when it's warranted, for the most part.  Many of their personalities were critical when Pavelec was brought up.  Both H & L have brought up Laine being on the 2nd PP unit - and his 0 PP goals in 2017.  Rick 'Pepperoni & Mustard' Ralph continually asks why Petan's riding pine when we're a "draft and develop" team.  None of the Illegal Curve guys are afraid to question the team, though they are pretty loyal to the brand. 

Really it's Beyak and Hnidy who are the 2 biggest homers, IMO. And to be expected as far as I'm concerned, they are the closest to the team & have to travel with these guys.

I see the media and fans as one in the same boat right now - we're stuck between being sick & tired of 6+ yrs of failure (despite shiny toys in 55, 29 etc)  and not wanting to abandon all hope for the franchise (they're good people, trying hard to produce a winner etc) 

No one can definitively say how you fix this team. I'm not sure anyone employed by TNSE knows either. And that's the scariest part. 

I don't think you'll ever see much criticism from the broadcasting crew... their job isn't to analyse the team... it's just to call the game as it's happening... on local broadcast, homerism is basically expected.... 

42 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I don't think you'll ever see much criticism from the broadcasting crew... their job isn't to analyse the team... it's just to call the game as it's happening... on local broadcast, homerism is basically expected.... 

100%.

and I'd personally take that any day vs. Sportsnet's coverage of Jets games,  which rivals that of national spelling bee commentary. 

They are a disappointment. Everything sucks from the goaltending out. Some bright spots offensively  with Laine & Ehlers as well as Wheeler & Scheifle. Trouba has played well since his return.  However, more scrutiny should be on this entire organization & the way it's trying to build a contender. It's about time they were questioned.

I enjoy Hnidy's commentary and evaluation. I think, as an analyst, he does a pretty good job pointing out weaknesses and explaining perspectives from the player's point-of-view.

A lot like JP Vigier and Trevor Kidd.

Obviously, he won't be too critical of any players. He travels and works with them almost every day. He needs to maintain his relationships.

Beyak is a complete waste. He makes excuses for players, coaches and management. Only time he'll 'criticize' a player's performance is when he's echoing PoMo's talking points. I turn off the radio when he and Paul Edmonds are on. It's sounds so vanilla and uninformative. No value added.

38 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They are a disappointment. Everything sucks from the goaltending out. Some bright spots offensively  with Laine & Ehlers as well as Wheeler & Scheifle. Trouba has played well since his return.  However, more scrutiny should be on this entire organization & the way it's trying to build a contender. It's about time they were questioned.

I don't know why you wouldn't include Morrissey in that list. Trouba/Morrissey are a top-pairing. If we keep Trouba, we've got the nucleus of something special.

Helle will be fine as soon as a has a competent 1b behind him.

Reflecting right now on this season, Chevy made the biggest mistake by not getting a good back-up in November/December, when it was obvious Hutch was not going to cut it.

I wonder how this team would have looked with Halak behind Helle for most of the season? Or Bishop, who you could have gotten for a song?

I asked earlier about who's to blame for Buff when he stayed out extra long and took a penalty in OT and someone said Buff.  But where is the consequences from the coaches.  Why does Buff get to do whatever he wants?  He never has ice time cut or playing scenario's cut.  He's clearly been awful as a result of playing too much but they dont back off his ice time.  is he Chipman's best friend or something?

Get Trouba signed long term and he and Morrissey are our top pairing for the next 12 years.  Cut Buff's ice time down to 15-20 minutes tops, which can easily be done with a healthy Myers.  If he doesnt like it, trade him.

58 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I asked earlier about who's to blame for Buff when he stayed out extra long and took a penalty in OT and someone said Buff.  But where is the consequences from the coaches.  Why does Buff get to do whatever he wants?  He never has ice time cut or playing scenario's cut.  He's clearly been awful as a result of playing too much but they dont back off his ice time.  is he Chipman's best friend or something?

Get Trouba signed long term and he and Morrissey are our top pairing for the next 12 years.  Cut Buff's ice time down to 15-20 minutes tops, which can easily be done with a healthy Myers.  If he doesnt like it, trade him.

I think? Buff has made it known he doesn't like playing forward but how about converting him back to forward or at least platooning him there now and then?

I know some would say he already does it with his rover approach but take more advantage of his size up front the Jets could use depending on who they are playing that day?

15 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I think? Buff has made it known he doesn't like playing forward but how about converting him back to forward or at least platooning him there now and then?

I know some would say he already does it with his rover approach but take more advantage of his size up front the Jets could use depending on who they are playing that day?

My thing is, Buff is the most unique player in the NHL.  if the Jets did compete for a playoff spot next year, he could easily be the difference maker.  He could be a Conn Smythe winner.  But if we're not going to, he's killing us right now.  If its greater than simply his poor on-ice play, if his attitude is an issue in the locker room, we have to move on. 

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My thing is, Buff is the most unique player in the NHL.  if the Jets did compete for a playoff spot next year, he could easily be the difference maker.  He could be a Conn Smythe winner.  But if we're not going to, he's killing us right now.  If its greater than simply his poor on-ice play, if his attitude is an issue in the locker room, we have to move on. 

But its like trading Housely. Offensive defensemen are so rare you dont trade em.

You don't trade Buff but you also don't play him 27-29 minutes a game...  Maurice wore him out in November and he's never recovered.

Blame for this season falls on Chevy...  He knew Trouba was heading for a holdout and had seen the Jets D get decimated by injury just a couple years ago, yet no depth was signed.  He's actually lucky that Morrissey stepped up as quickly as he has...

Backup goalie, same deal.  I'm still trying to figure out the strategy of sending Pavs down early if there wasn't some expansion draft strategy.

That being said, Paul Maurice's defensive system is not working and that's very clear.  This 'rushing' D thing has to be reeled in...

OTOH, maybe we were always in year two of a rebuild...  that's the only real excuse I can think of 

From an old article ... http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/9/1/12517118/why-your-team-sucks-winnipeg-jets

Paul Maurice, who you probably forgot was still in the NHL. He gets some accolades for....well, not being offensively bad at his job. But he isn't good either. He just exists. He's that thing in the back of your fridge you bought for one meal and forgot was there for months. He is the mayonnaise of NHL head coaches, which is perfect for the home of the "white out" (in more context than one).

Anyway, here is a list of Paul Maurice's crowning achievements as a coach:

2002: somehow stumbled into a Stanley Cup Final and lost horribly.

2009: somehow stumbled into a conference final and lost horribly.

2015: somehow stumbled into the first round and lost horribly.

Well, dang; that's regression if I ever saw it.