RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

Just now, Atomic said:

Might need to set our sights a little lower than that.

Yeah probably.  Its interesting because Lawless was pushing the name...I cant remember now, Condon?  His feeling was they wanted a veteran back-up who might push Helle a bit.  But now he's full on they need a starting goalie and suggesting they go after Fleury.

Darling is interesting because he will want a shot at #1 which he'd get here but he will also want some term.  You're not going to give him term and cash without him having proven himself.  But a 3 year deal is doable I think.

Rick Ralph rattled off the names of teams likely looking for goalie help and there seems to be far more goalies then teams in need so we should get a decent one.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Darling is interesting because he will want a shot at #1 which he'd get here but he will also want some term.  You're not going to give him term and cash without him having proven himself.  But a 3 year deal is doable I think.

Darling is 18-5-2 this year with a 2.12 gaa and .931 sv%.  He's played over 1500 minutes this season and over 1500 minutes last season.  He's 3-1 in playoff starts and has the 4th best playoff sv% of any goalie who has seen more than 10 shots.

I doubt the Jets would give him cash and term, but I won't be surprised if someone does.

22 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

But now he's full on they need a starting goalie and suggesting they go after Fleury.

Here's my problem with Fleury... How do you get him?

If you get past the major roadblock of his no trade clause, allowing a trade to Winnipeg, you still have a major hurdle - the expansion draft. The Penguins will want to move him before the expansion draft, so they can protect Murray. Well, the Jets can't trade for Fleury then leave him unprotected, can they?

The only way a Fleury trade works, is if you give Vegas something to not pick Fleury. What's that going to cost you? On top of the cost to get Fleury in the first place.

Yeah I think what Atomic said.  Pens would have to deal with their goalie issue as it relates to expansion.  Because trading for Fleury creates that issue for many teams.  I think Pens get better offers after the expansion draft. 

The goalie market will be interesting.  It seems like more goalies than teams that need them,  So Fleury might have to be open to something.  Ideally he goes to a city that is awesome with a team that can win now.  But if his options are limited, he might see the Jets as a place he can be the starter, influence the younger goalies and potentially win.  He might see some similarities between the Jets and the Pens when he got there.

Plus, he plays in Pittsburgh so its not Winnipeg is going to be a shitty place to live next to that.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Pens trade first round pick to Vegas to get them not to take Murray, Jets trade first round pick to Pens for Fleury, post-expansion draft.  Everybody wins.

Except Fleury would never waive his NMC to come to Winnipeg so it's all pretty irrelevant.

Pit does not have to give Vegas a pick. They can trade Fleury before the exp draft.

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

No, just Lawless and then you suggested trading a 1st round pick for him... :huh:

It was just an example.  Basically, Pens trade an asset to keep Murray from Vegas and we trade the equivalent asset to the Pens to acquire Fleury.

However it was your assertion that the Jets aren't willing to pay for Darling that really wound my crank.  If you think that DOLLARS are the primary reason why UFA's avoid Winnipeg, then I don't think you've been paying attention.......

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It was just an example.  Basically, Pens trade an asset to keep Murray from Vegas and we trade the equivalent asset to the Pens to acquire Fleury.

However it was your assertion that the Jets aren't willing to pay for Darling that really wound my crank.  If you think that DOLLARS are the primary reason why UFA's avoid Winnipeg, then I don't think you've been paying attention.......

Actually I was just summing up the conversation in this thread...

Not sure why you're so down on Winnipeg - if Chevy actually made a real push in free agency, Winnipeg could sign Darling for a slight overpayment.  Not a huge market for starting goalies this year imo.

If there was one goalie to try and sign, its Raanta anyway.  But Darling would be great.

Setting the sights on Condon or Budaj is treading water imo... those goalies will quickly become 'mortal' in a Maurice defence.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Actually I was just summing up the conversation in this thread...

Not sure why you're so down on Winnipeg - if Chevy actually made a real push in free agency, Winnipeg could sign Darling for a slight overpayment.  Not a huge market for starting goalies this year imo.

If there was one goalie to try and sign, its Raanta anyway.  But Darling would be great.

Setting the sights on Condon or Budaj is treading water imo... those goalies will quickly become 'mortal' in a Maurice defence.

I'm not down on Winnipeg, I love Winnipeg.  I think you underestimate the negative reputation this city has, however.  "Winnipeg could sign Darling for a slight overpayment".... based on what, exactly?  Seems like wishful thinking to me.

Condon might end up being the guy we go for, and I think he'd be a good target.  Budaj.... that's not happening.

The idea that players hate certain cities is a myth I think.  Winning is the most important thing.  Being treated well and being paid are probably up there too.  Teams that win will have success signing players (like Edmonton).  But if all things are equal there plenty of teams that get beat by other teams for a variety of reasons. 

Getting into bidding wars isnt wise anyway.  We've signed free agent players, not the elite who have 20+ teams making offers.  But we've signed them.  And we've re-signed star players who could go to UFA and go anywhere.