RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Fair enough. The answer is his reputation would be worse if his picks had turned out worse.

You're being deliberately obtuse.  The point was tied directly to one pick, not all the pics.  And that one pick which was an "off the board" selection.  I mean, I could explain it to you but I think you understood it.

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

Let's not forget Chevy's home run with Morrissey. He went off the board for him, when he was ranked late in the first round. Around 26th on most boards, I think.

Button who tends to be darn close to what the Jets do had Morrissey around 16 to 18 I think. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You're being deliberately obtuse.  The point was tied directly to one pick, not all the pics.  And that one pick which was an "off the board" selection.  I mean, I could explain it to you but I think you understood it.

Well the question doesn't really make sense.  Unless you are implying the Scheiffle pick was drawn out of a hat or a dart board was involved.  Otherwise the question really amounts to how good would he be at his job if he was less good at his job?  Then the answer you are leading us to by the nature of the question is: less good.

Watching the playoffs most teams have 3 scoring lines and a 4th which Is a shutdown line. Maurice runs 2 scoring lines... his 3rd as a shutdown and a 4th that barely plays. Watching these OT games makes me wonder how dead would wheeler scheif Ehlers Laine Perreault and little be if they had to play double OT. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Button who tends to be darn close to what the Jets do had Morrissey around 16 to 18 I think. 

Final NHL Central Scouts had him 27th among North American skaters. So, not even 27th overall. Just 27th available from NA.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Watching the playoffs most teams have 3 scoring lines and a 4th which Is a shutdown line. Maurice runs 2 scoring lines... his 3rd as a shutdown and a 4th that barely plays. Watching these OT games makes me wonder how dead would wheeler scheif Ehlers Laine Perreault and little be if they had to play double OT. 

Very true, but I chalk it up to a lack of players as much as coaching.  You could move the Lowry line to the 4th line and call it a shutdown line but then who is your 3rd scoring line?  If it includes Nic Petan and Marko Dano I think that's the answer right there.... it's not realistic.

However, next year if we can squeeze a scoring line out of Connor, Roslovic, Harkins, Copp, or maybe a free agent or two?  Then we're in business.

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I thought Scheif was top 10-15 going into draft?

the NHL had him at 16 among North American skaters before the draft.  So depending on how many Europeans would be ranked higher, he was probably a 20-30 guy.

Not "off the board" as I said but definitely a surprise at #7.  I believe there was an audible sense of surprise from the TSN panel when Chevy called his name.

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not ready to give up on Helle but if Chevy goes into next season with zero competition for the starter and a "hope" that Helle can be good, he probably should move on.  I like Chevy but that can change in a hurry.  Drafting well is nice.  Its a testament to your scouts and vision.  But a GM cant let his team flounder because he's afraid to make a move.

On H & L he was the one who brought up the "Look at Carey Price and his numbers over his first few years".    The team is really high on Comrie and based on what I hear on the radio it looks like they want him to be the man in 2-3 seasons.     This is why I don't see them going for a younger guy like Fleury because the end game goal is Comrie starting and Helle backing him up in 3 seasons.  

We will sign a Pavelec 2.0 to be the stop gap and Helle will get his 50 starts next season. 

Just to clarify I personally hate this and wish they would sign a proven Winner...  you can't wait years on a goalie to be the guy...  we wasted so many on Pavs we would of been better off keeping Montoya.

Edited by Brandon

I still think Raanta Darling Johnson are all realistic options and I tend to think Bernier is another. I think the Jets get Raanta via Vegas who takes him in the expansion draft. I could see something like Phillips plus 2nd round pick to Vegas for Raanta. Possibly even Petan also as I don't see a spot in the top 9 for him. Getting an upgrade on Hutch shouldn't be that difficult. Bishop if he's OK on a 2 or 3 yr deal or Steve Mason might be other options also. Mason does make some sense actually 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

Very true, but I chalk it up to a lack of players as much as coaching.  You could move the Lowry line to the 4th line and call it a shutdown line but then who is your 3rd scoring line?  If it includes Nic Petan and Marko Dano I think that's the answer right there.... it's not realistic.

However, next year if we can squeeze a scoring line out of Connor, Roslovic, Harkins, Copp, or maybe a free agent or two?  Then we're in business.

I think 

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler 

Perreault Little Laine 

Connor Lowr Armia

Mathias Copp  UFA 

Is something we could see. On paper that looks good. 

Could also 

Laine Scheif Ehlers 

Connor Little Wheeler 

Perreault Lowry Armia 

Matthias Copp FA 

Both are actually very good 4 lines 

Jets have some options 

Roslovic Harkins probably start in the A but are first call ups 

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

I think 

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler 

Perreault Little Laine 

Connor Lowr Armia

Mathias Copp  UFA 

Is something we could see. On paper that looks good. 

Could also 

Laine Scheif Ehlers 

Connor Little Wheeler 

Perreault Lowry Armia 

Matthias Copp FA 

Both are actually very good 4 lines 

Jets have some options 

Roslovic Harkins probably start in the A but are first call ups 

So they are sending Matthias, Dano and Petan to the minors and signing another forward...?

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So they are sending Matthias, Dano and Petan to the minors and signing another forward...?

??? Matthias is on both 4th lines of Goalie's projections.

No room for Petan on this team. As for Dano, well if Jets go 8-3-1 at expansion there's a good chance he be picked.

Oh and he ended season in doghouse so there is that.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

7 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

??? Matthias is on both 4th lines of Goalie's projections.

No room for Petan on this team. As for Dano, well if Jets go 8-3-1 at expansion there's a good chance he be picked.

Oh and he ended season in doghouse so there is that.

Hey thats true!!

A tale of two franchises...

Stan Bowman on the Hawks playoff exit...

“I am completely, completely disappointed, it is unacceptable to be where we are today,” Bowman said Saturday, per NBC's ProHockeyTalk. "I am frustrated, I am angry, this was a tough, tough loss for us all to take. Standing here April 22 is not the way we expected our season to end. It is a completely failure when you measure it against the expectations that we have for ourselves. We did not come even close to reaching the standard we have set over the years here. And that is unacceptable. Any successes that we did experience this year are completely overshadowed by the abrupt ending to our season. It is not close to good enough for anybody."

Chevy on another lost season...

“Like anything, there are certain points that you really like and certain points you'd like to see better,” said Cheveldayoff. “There are lots of different storylines, but at the end of the day, we measure ourselves on a daily basis, a game-by-game basis and at the end, we want to be above the line when it comes to the playoffs. That's what we're working towards and this group still has to earn that opportunity.”