RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Neither are fans who think it's fine to wait a decade for a consistently winning team.

Quite the weak rebuttal. Says a lot about your argument - or lack thereof - when all you do is deflect.

The simple reality is the Jets have been a budget team while management restocks the cupboards and builds a franchise through draft and development. Nobody here says it's fine or even alluded to such a notion. It's called being realistic and understanding the conditions in which TNSE has to operate.

I'm not sure why disgruntled fans can't or refuse to understand this.

33 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Quite the weak rebuttal. Says a lot about your argument - or lack thereof - when all you do is deflect.

The simple reality is the Jets have been a budget team while management restocks the cupboards and builds a franchise through draft and development. Nobody here says it's fine or even alluded to such a notion. It's called being realistic and understanding the conditions in which TNSE has to operate.

I'm not sure why disgruntled fans can't or refuse to understand this.

We see it but don't have to like it. It's not a weak argument. Not many markets would put up with it but we're expected to just because. Patience is running out.

I wouldnt even say the Jets were a budget team.  That was the narrative by a lot of media before and shortly after True North bought the Thrashers "get used to never winning because they will be a budget team".  Chipman sort of added to it by saying they had to be careful.  But he also said, in year one, that if he thought they were close he'd go to the cap.  People seem to forget that.

I think the Jets are a careful team, not a budget team.  Chipman once explained that they basically have a graph showing forecasts on every player with expected salary going years and years.  So they know what they will spend.  The worst thing would be to get into the playoffs and suddenly be in cap trouble.

I think its fair to say the Jets have not been aggressive about pursuing Free Agents or trades to improve the team in the moment.  For example, this past year.  By Christmas it was clear the goalies were struggling and the D was not all going to play together due to injuries.  And Chevy chose not to get goalie help or D help.  But I dont think that was budget as there were options for minimal cost.

They have never shied away from spending on players they value.  Ladd, Toby, Buff, Wheeler, Scheif etc. 

The Jets arent a budget team.  They are a careful team.  Maybe too careful.  Maybe too conservative.  But thats the culture from the top down.

Remember too, this wasnt a team that needed a couple of players and would compete.  The Thrashers were a disaster.  It took three years just to get above water as far as having assets. 

So a 5 year plan is nice.  And being realistic, the Jets are vastly improved after 5 years.  I'd say, as far as their window, they didnt even have a window when they came here.  Chevy built the foundation.  The glass went into the frame last summer when they drafted Laine and signed Scheif long term.  The window is there.  Look for them to start opening it this season.

The Jets don't spend anywhere close to the cap, which makes them a budget team. TNSE being careful or conservative with regard to its expenditures is a different conversation but certainly can be related to their being a budget team at the present time. It makes more sense than being reckless, lest they end up like the Islanders.

Budget team doesn't necessarily carry a negative connotation, anyway. At the current stage of the team's progress, I think it's just part of the equation until their prospects round out the roster more completely.