RethinkIng Paul Maurice....

bb1

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

I'm not down on Winnipeg, I love Winnipeg.  I think you underestimate the negative reputation this city has, however.  "Winnipeg could sign Darling for a slight overpayment".... based on what, exactly?  Seems like wishful thinking to me.

Condon might end up being the guy we go for, and I think he'd be a good target.  Budaj.... that's not happening.

Really basing it on the fact that a lot of teams are locked down with starting goalies... Winnipeg is one of the few destinations with cap flexibility and a potential #1 job

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Really basing it on the fact that a lot of teams are locked down with starting goalies... Winnipeg is one of the few destinations with cap flexibility and a potential #1 job

if Im a goalie like Darling or even Bishop I'd consider Winnipeg.  For one thing, I'd bet Winnipeg is willing to pay.  Secondly, not only are you as good as anywhere getting the chance to be the starter but the talent on the team has an opportunity to flip the switch and be successful.  Plus, by all accounts the management and ownership have a reputation as a first rate organization as far as how they treat the players.

We'd be in on the conversations with those guys, I'd think.  I'd still love it to be Darling.  Just imagine how annoying those headlines would become.

"Chevy Signs a Darling"

"Darling Deal"

"Darling Game By Darling"

"Scott Not So Darling In Jets Loss"

"Scott Looks Darling In Jets Jersey".

Ugh

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Getting into bidding wars isnt wise anyway.  We've signed free agent players, not the elite who have 20+ teams making offers.  But we've signed them.  And we've re-signed star players who could go to UFA and go anywhere.

Tell that to the Minnesota Wild (Parise and Suter) or the Oilers (Lucic and Sekera)

Chevy needs to show he's an NHL GM...  Without getting into the Maurice debate - This team is one vet and a goalie from being a playoff team

Signing Shawn Matthias and Devin Setoguchi types ... yawn.

25 minutes ago, Floyd said:

But are you willing to give Darling the big deal?  4 mil/year for 5 years?  Or similar?  What's the confidence level?

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Holy **** are you being intentionally stupid?  Obviously I don't mean Vegas would take both, I mean Winnipeg gets to keep both, i.e. they don't lose either one to Vegas.

No Mr. Happy. The intention of my question was whether Vegas has to pick 3 goalies from the 30 teams.

25 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No Mr. Happy. The intention of my question was whether Vegas has to pick 3 goalies from the 30 teams.

Yes.  14 forwards 9 Defensemen and 3 goalies.

Assuming the other 4 players can be any position.

34 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Cheerfully withdrawn.

Yes they do but it would be odd to pick 3 goalies who are currently under contract on one-way deals.  I suspect they will try to get a big money guy with some term (Varlamov?), a young NHL up-and-comer (Grubauer?) , and a young guy or two who can start in the AHL.  Maybe Hellebuyck can fit in there but I would bet after this year that he wouldn't be a prime target for Vegas especially with guys like Armia, Dano, Lowry, and Myers on the table.  If we could acquire Fleury for example, we could keep him as the starter and Helle as the backup and safely protect Fleury while not losing Hellebuyck.  Such is my thought right now. 

From Scott Cullen...

Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifele - The Jets  forwards both put up a goal and two assists in a 3-2 win against Philadelphia. Wheeler has 15 points (5 G, 10 A) in the past 11 games and Scheifele has 21 points (4 G, 17 A) in the past 15 games.

Sure seems like Scheif is the key to production...  really think its a shame Maurice split him and Laine up, they were on fire.  Probably cost Laine a shot at the Calder.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:06 PM, Floyd said:

Sure seems like Scheif is the key to production...  really think its a shame Maurice split him and Laine up, they were on fire.  Probably cost Laine a shot at the Calder.

If that's the case then the Leafs fans were right all along saying Matthews deserves the Calder because he's playing with weaker linemates

• 2 weeks later...

Lawless falling all over himself defending Maurice as usual...  'Yeah Darryl Sutter is a better coach than Maurice and would take this team to the playoffs and would demand better veterans... but Maurice has done everything Chevy has asked, its not fair to fire him now... look how well they are playing now that they're out of the playoffs... blah blah blah...'

Yup, being fair to coaches has built a ton of Stanely Cup winners...  that's what the NHL is all about.

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Maurice even with an extension needs to have a good start to the year next season. If not he's probably fired by Christmas. Extension or not. Maurice is on the hot seat next season 

Depends how long of an extension...if Chevy signs him to a 3 year how does he justify canning him if the Jets have a tough start?

19 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Depends how long of an extension...if Chevy signs him to a 3 year how does he justify canning him if the Jets have a tough start?

Because Maurice still gets paid so really... it's about winning tho. If they start slow Maurice is done . There is always the possibility Maurice is given an office job or scout job for the remaining years 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Because Maurice still gets paid so really... it's about winning tho. If they start slow Maurice is done . There is always the possibility Maurice is given an office job or scout job for the remaining years 

I'm thinking if they really want to say that next year is important then sign him to a one year extension. I know it won't happen but it would be a wakeup call to the coaches and players that its time, no more excuses.

People get mad ad Lawless.  But is it Lawless "defending" Maurice or is it that Lawless has sources telling him the Jets want to extend Maurirce and Lawless is reporting all the reasons why Maurice wont be fired?  It amazes me how much Lawless bugs people.  He's a tremendous resource here and we're lucky to have him.  And as others mentioned previously, the broadcast station arent overly homers.  Hustler argued with Lawless about firing Maurice. 

22 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

People get mad ad Lawless.  But is it Lawless "defending" Maurice or is it that Lawless has sources telling him the Jets want to extend Maurirce and Lawless is reporting all the reasons why Maurice wont be fired?  It amazes me how much Lawless bugs people.  He's a tremendous resource here and we're lucky to have him.  And as others mentioned previously, the broadcast station arent overly homers.  Hustler argued with Lawless about firing Maurice. 

It's twofold.

First, you're correct, he states that True North is planning on extending him. That's the intel he has and I have no reason to doubt that. Also, there's no reason to go off on Lawless about what TN is doing. He's just reporting/interpreting what he's hearing.

Second, he has been defending PoMo a lot. He often quotes sources, other NHL insiders, who think the job PoMo has been doing is good. He also goes on about how it's on the players, and they're young, and the goal situation. And, on, and on. He has questioned PoMo on some of the people he starts and the players on the PP but he backs off pretty quickly. Most recently, the idea that Thorburn shouldn't be dressing but then quickly backing off.

Just now, JCon said:

It's twofold.

First, you're correct, he states that True North is planning on extending him. That's the intel he has and I have no reason to doubt that. Also, there's no reason to go off on Lawless about what TN is doing. He's just reporting/interpreting what he's hearing.

Second, he has been defending PoMo a lot. He often quotes sources, other NHL insiders, who think the job PoMo has been doing is good. He also goes on about how it's on the players, and they're young, and the goal situation. And, on, and on. He has questioned PoMo on some of the people he starts and the players on the PP but he backs off pretty quickly. Most recently, the idea that Thorburn shouldn't be dressing but then quickly backing off.

Well, we can disagree with him.  He's an analyst.  And if you sort of know him you know he often plays devil's advocate.  I'd suspect he thinks Maurice is a good, not great coach who hasnt had a full deck to deal with.  He knows the Jets plans and thats why he's defending it because to him, its moot.  He's taking the Jets' position, that Maurice isn't the problem.  Now, Hustler takes the opposing view which is cool and we're lucky to have those guys in this market.

But I get what you're saying.  If I recall, he defended Noel over and over again....and then didn't.  And Noel was fired.  Lawless is pretty smart, as much as many dont want to admit.  I dont always agree with him.  And sometimes when I dont, his analysis changes my mind.  He's very smart actually. 

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

But I get what you're saying.  If I recall, he defended Noel over and over again....and then didn't.  And Noel was fired.  Lawless is pretty smart, as much as many dont want to admit.  I dont always agree with him.  And sometimes when I dont, his analysis changes my mind.  He's very smart actually. 

He's paid to provide an opinion and, often, a contrarian opinion. When he was with the Freep, he used to say he was a columnist and it was his job to stir the pot. It's still his job to stir the pot and he's pretty good at it.

Obviously, he has intel that True North wants to extend Maurice... but that doesn't mean you have to keep finding new excuses for the guy every week.

Youth is the problem... except 3 of our 'youth' are among the league leaders in scoring and two D are our best players

Injuries are the problem... until the Jets go on a winning streak with Melchiori and Nogier

Oh and... no one else would play the 'kids'... and then we watch Thorburn finish off the season and Stafford waste space on the powerplay

I don't see this as stirring the pot at all - he throws lightweight questions at Maurice and has been defending the contract extensions since the start of the season.  Its just funny to watch all the contortions he's made while doing it.

Edited by Floyd

Lawless knows his CFL but in reality his NHL knowledge lacks. Listen to H and L and you will soon figure it out. Sure he has "sources" but they all do..

He just has a radio show and TSN gig so Ppl thinks he knows more than he does.  But listen to H and L and you will realize H is actually more hockey smart than L. L isn't a big fan and has even mentioned it before.  

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Lawless knows his CFL but in reality his NHL knowledge lacks. Listen to H and L and you will soon figure it out. Sure he has "sources" but they all do..

He just has a radio show and TSN gig so Ppl thinks he knows more than he does.  But listen to H and L and you will realize H is actually more hockey smart than L. L isn't a big fan and has even mentioned it before.  

Lawless doesn't know much about hockey but he does know the business, including the NHL. He has good sources and pretty reliable.

He can't analyze the game and neither can Westwood. 

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

If you had a radio show and TSN gig you wouldn't know more than Lawless.  People downplay because he's not an unabashed homer.  When people hear what they dont like, they attack the source.  Lawless is, by far, the most connected sports guy in Manitoba.  Whether he can analyze the minutia of hockey is moot, really. 

If there is major news in Manitoba sports, he's the go-to guy.  And one great thing about him is, if he doesnt have the coverage he will gladly point you to who does.  He's a great asset.  And I couldn't stand him early on.  But there is no denying facts.

Hustler is obviously a big hockey fan but more emotional than Lawless.  Sometimes Hustler changes Lawless' mind but usually what happens is Lawless ends up pushing a perspective Hustler didnt consider because Lawless isnt from here and isnt emotional about the Jets and Bombers.